Lovenox

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LUVMyBirman

Just wanted to repeat this warning while it's fresh in my mind again. My cardiologist and internal medicine doctor will not allow me to use Lovenox in the event of invasive procedures that warrant coming off the Coumadin. Hospital time for a Heparin drip 48 hours prior to any procedure.

Had the pleasure of speaking to Lorraine tonight and I mentioned they better have a good internet connection in the rooms! One thing I can't stand is sitting around that IV pole. It's really for our own safety. The doctors will be raking in more bucks keeping us contained longer to boot. There is always the 'cold turkey' method of just stopping the Coumadin. I am not willing to take the risk.

Would like to hear what others have been advised.
http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/SAFETY/2002/lovenox.htm

wow.....timely

wow.....timely

Gina
Thank goodness I happened to log back in here, and read your note. Then went to the web, and read the Lovenox dangers.

I have about 6 preloaded syringes here, and in the past, when my INR got down too low (like 1.5 or so), I would inject. Haven't had to in about a year, but it could have happened!!!!!!

Will ask my Doc about it. I always only injected on his advice anyway, so "maybe" it would have come up. Maybe not.

Thanks!!
valuable information.
mindy

My Doctors are all against the use of Lovenox. If worse came to worse, a heprin drip would be used.

I have some information about Lovenox "hysteria" that I will be posting on my website next week. (I'm preparing to consult on setting up a new clinic on Monday and Tuesday, so it will be after that.)

If anyone who was in Las Vegas still has the handout from my talk, you might put up some of the information.

The reason I say hysteria is that there were two pregnant women in South Africa who died while in a study about Lovenox , valves & pregnancy. Neither had their dose adjusted as they gained weight. From these two deaths, the world has decided that no person with a mechanical valve should ever get Lovenox under any circumstances. How about that for s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g?

You know Al, I really tend to agree with you. I have been on Lovenox more times that I can count on both hands. Did not have a stroke. Don't you think it's mostly about CYA for the medical processionals? Unfortunaltey, I will be one of many examples of the "hysteria".

As you mentioned before, it's better than not having coverage. I still have it on hand, and believe me will give myself an injection if my INR falls far below range.

If you would be so kind AL, post the link when you have your info up on your site!

Thanks!

Well-l-l-l--

Let me just mention Joe's experiences. He's used Lovenox for a couple of procedures, including heart surgery. No problems.

He used it for his gallbladder surgery and I guess, we'll never know what happened, but he had a total bleedout and almost died. I realize that I can't know for sure if the Lovenox was partially to blame, but right after that, his cardiologists decided not to use it anymore.

I can sure say this, we'll never be comfortable using it again.

I will post the link. It is info from an article written by 3 authorities in the anticoagulation field.

It will probably be late next week. I'm going to be in Reno Monday and Tuesday training a group on how to set up an anticoagulation clinic similar to mine.

Then it will probably take a day or two to catch up on my e-mail. So it will be about a week before I have it posted.

Gina,

Thanks for the website. I just printed off the info and will take it with me to my next cardiologist appointment which is in December.

I used Lovenox right after surgery for a low INR. I am due for a colonoscopy and was planning on using it then. I will put this question on the list for the doc!

Lovenox?

Lovenox?

I have only been on coumadin for 5 weeks, so I have alot to learn. What is this Lovenox and are people on coumadin supposed to have something else on hand if their INR goes too low. Is this just for people who test at home? My doc has never said anything to me about having another drug on hand.

Take Care!
Creed

Hi Creed-

Lovenox is sometimes used to transition Coumadin patients who are going to have surgery. It's a form of Heparin, but can be injected at home by the patient or caretaker. Heparin IVs are sometimes used as well, but that is done in the hospital and adds hospital time to the surgery procedure. It's a way to keep the anticoagulation in proper range with anticoagulants which don't stay in the system as long as Coumadin. Hence the patient doesn't have to be without anticoagulation for a long period of time. It's also used after surgery sometimes to help the patient get back into therapeutic range.

The beauty of Lovenox is that you don't have to go into the hospital days ahead of the surgery, whereas, with Heparin, you would have to.

The monitoring doctor gives the exact doage and writes a script for the injections. It's quite expensive.

This is not something you need to have on hand for everyday use. You are, no doubt, being well monitored by your doctor for the correct INR.

In the big scheme of things, Lovenox is relatively new and has come into popularity because it saves a lot of time and aggravation for the patient, and money for the insurance companies.

There has been some recent controversy, as you have probably been reading.

Thanks Nancy!
I just wanted to make sure that I understand everything that is going on with meds and potential meds I may need to take in the future.

Take Care!
Creed

Back