Looks like surgery is going to be soon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alicia

I have had very low BP (83/63) shortness of breath and extreme fatigue and called my nurse practioner at Duke on Tuesday. They got a huge winter storm and was closed today so I left a message on her voice mail to call me tomorrow when they reopen and let me know what to do. She called me back after checking her voicemail and told me she had talked to him and he said that it sounds like I need the surgery alot sooner than when they thought and she will talk to the cardiac surgeon tomorrow and get me on the surgery schedule as soon as possible. I called her back and told her that if at all chance I wanted to wait until right after Christams and she said she will ask him tomorrow and get back with me. She said I would be eligable for the less invasive surgery but will have to sign release to do either/or.

Im scared but relieved in a way. I cant wait to get better! Im tired of being tired! I had to have an endoscopy this morning and it went well. I have GERD and Barretts esophagus so I have to get scoped every 2 years.

Thanks for all the encouragement and advise I got from all of you out there. Its appreciated very much!!

Alicia I'm sorry to hear of the worsening problem, but even if it can't wait until after Christmas, you know that we will all be here praying and thinking of you all the way through. I wish you the fastest recovery possible.

I'm sure you're relieved. Go in, get it over with, and get on with your life. It's the pits to feel tired all the time. I've watched Joe go through that so many times.

So, I'm happy for you and know you'll be fine.

Take care

Christmas and Priorities

Christmas and Priorities

Hi Alicia,
Choices: If you can choose between Post-Christmas and Pre-Christmas; life and SD (sudden death); no heart damage, less heart damage, and more heart damage -- what would your choices be? Think about it. Then make the right decision for you.
I have to add that it is easy for me to be so decisive after-the-fact. It wasn't all that easy to decide "when" prior to the surgery.
Sincere best wishes.
Don
AVR; 4/02; CCF; Cosgrove; Bovine Tissue

Alicia

Alicia

If I were you, I'd take the first available time..You don't need the hassle of Xmas..Too much cooking, buying gifts, ect...You don't mention family but I went to ER on Xmas Day of last year. My kids were just glad I wasn't having a heart attack..Found my aneurysm 2 months later...Besides, what if another snow storm came..Don't take any chances. Bonnie

Alicia, you know that all here are pulling for you all the time and we will be anxious to know when you are going to do this major thing. Tough right here at the holidays, isn't it? Had a friend who had surgery last Dec 18 and she just let everybody else do the stuff while she took time off to just watch and enjoy. God bless

I had my first OH surgery on Dec. 18th. I wasn't supposed to get out of the hospital until Christmas Eve, but was out on Dec. 21! On Christmas day I did have to take a break from opening presents to go take a nap, but otherwise enjoyed the day very much. Of course, I was one of the "kids" so I didn't have to do any of the preparing for anything. Just had to show up. But truthfully, if you are already extreemly tired, I'd say there wouldn't be an extreem difference in your energy level (as a matter of fact, if it wasn't for "recovery" I would have been dancing in the street I felt so much better) would be around the same. But do what you feel most comfortable with. Just don't let it ruin your holidays, no matter what happens (and if you're in the hospital on Christmas day, so be it. At least you won't have to cook).

Take care,

Ali, My suggestion to you is to get what needs to be done over with as soon as you can. You're not going to enjoy the Holidays much if your tired all the time anyway. Just tell your daughter to bring those beautiful grandbabies to the hospital to see you if you're there over Christmas. I'll certainly be praying for your decision to be an easy one. You can always celebrate later, when you feel up to it. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Peggy

Hey everybody. Got your messages loud and clear. NP from Duke called while I was out this morning and said they are still "iced" in and Duke clinics are still closed but she will call me first thing Monday am with surgery date,etc. I have to go in the day before surgery and have a catherization then we will spend the night in Durham,NC and be back at hospital next morning. I feel sorry for my hubby who will be up there by himself for the most part. Im taking a big picture of my grands to keep me motivated!

I will go ahead and take first available date. All of you are right, I do need to go ahead and have this taken care of. The sooner the better. My birthday is Friday,Dec 13..my anniversary of 25 years is Dec 16..We had planned a trip to Hawaii for our 25th but of course that has been postponed.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I need it. God bless all of you.
I have made so many friends on this site and gained so much valuable info and support!!!

Hi Alicia

Hi Alicia

Sounds like you are on the right track.
Prayers and best wishes to you.
Keep us posted.
Don
AVR; 4/02; CCF; Bovine Tissue

Alicia - be sure to give us the date - it is important because we all have special thoughts and prayers on your day. And do you think someone can let us know how it goes? We wait with bated breath to hear news of our 'loved' one. God bless

Alicia,
I'm so glad you're staying on top of this! When you recover from surgery & go to Hawaii, you'll have a better time because you won't be so tired!!!!

I agree with all the advice from the other posts. What's wrong with watching everyone else do the holiday dishes & clean up?

My prayers are with you!

Judy

Hey Junebug, You are right I can sit back and let everyone do for me this year. Hawaii sure sounds good. I cant wait to get better so we can finaly go. We said if we ever made 25 years we would go. Next hurdle is getting my scardy cat husband on a plane!:)

Thanks to all of you for your support. I feel so much better now about things. Thanks to Ross,Nancy,Don,Bonnie,Hensylee,Peggy and Janie for all the awsome things you finaly got thru my thick skull~I feel so much better about things now thanks to all if you. I feel like we are all family and I feel loved. Group hug!!!

I will post when I find out the dates. Thanks for caring and thanks to Hank for making this website possible.

P.S. I didnt mean to leave you out Gnusgal. Hopefuly I will get out as quick as you did and recover as quickly.

Happy Holidays! Think I might work on sending out our Christmas cards out. Can you all tell Im feeling better?

:)

Last edited:
Alicia, I'll be praying for you; it's good that you've decided to go ahead with things. The worry and stress can certainly add to any ordeal....please keep us posted. I know things will be fine. God is good.

Hello Alicia,

If you don't mind, please tell us (me) how you are being treated for your GERD / Barrett's Esophagas. What meds? Did your GI doc ever recommend Fundoplication?

If you receive a mechanical valve and are then placed on Coumadin, how does your GI doc plan to follow you (i.e. will you have to go off Coumadin for your future endoscopies? Are there other options?)

'AL'

St. Judes Mechanical Valve and Coumadin

Alicia, I understand your fear and hesitancy, but with the symptoms you are having, I agree with the others...do it first chance. Besides you will be so pleasantly surprised at how good you feed even a few days later. I felt so bad before...but on day 3 after surgery my husband and I were walking the hallways of the Cleveland Clinic and he kept asking me if he was going too fast, was I tired? I was doing just great, marveling that I was not short of breath at all and so excited about how good I would feel in several months if I felt this good then. It is an amazing journey...good luck to you.

Hey Al, I take Prevacid and Reglan for the GERD and Barretts esophagus daily. I get endoscopy every other year and so far so good. Im controlling it with medication. My drs opted for a pig valve so I will not be on Coumadin forever.

Looking forward to getting better soon.

Latest posts

Back