Longevity

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marge

Nothing to do with heart issues (at least not directly) but I thought this was a fascinating interview with Dr. Nir Barzilai, a prominent researcher in longevity, in Science Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/24/health/24CONV.html

Unsurprisingly -- Barzilai thinks it's the genes. As a person with family that tends to longevity I have long been interested in this subject.
My parents died in their 90's, all my grandparents also lived into late 80s or 90s except my father's father, whom I never knew -- he got pneumonia prior to the discovery of penicillin and died in his 50's. None of these folks had particularly good medical care or even contemplated what we think of as a healthy life-style. Especially not my mom's family in East Texas with their fried food (bacon grease and Crisco!).
Oh, and none of them even came close to suffering from anything like dementia or Alzheimer's. I remember being back in Texas in my 20's, visiting my grandmother in the morning. She was alert, clever and charming. We went back to our motel & in the afternoon they called and said she had had a stroke, keeled over, & died. No muss, no fuss, no long-drawn out illness.
Of course I share these genes, another reason this heart failure/leaky valve thing kind of threw me for a loop. (Feeling, hey, this isn't supposed to happen to ME!!!) I don't ever expect to duplicate my parents' record -- but with my repaired non-leaky valve, it will be interesting to see how far I get.

Human Genome

Human Genome

The more we learn about DNA- the more we learn that everthing is about DNA!

Marge,

I share your hope and anticipation of long life.

Two of my grandparents lived well into their 80's and one to 96. He survived stomach surgery at 96, but died of complications from one of the diagnostic procedures. The fourth died of a heart attack after shoveling snow (50+ lbs overweight) at the age of 66. My parents are 85 and 80 still going strong.

Last year I woke up to the fact (finally) that if I didn't do something about my weight I would be on the wrong side of the odds. Genes can help, but we gotta take care of ourselves.

it will be interesting to see how far I get.
Amen.

My grandfathers were 57 and I think 59 or 60 when they died. I never knew my dad's father, thus the "I think." My grandmothers were 96 and 99.5 years old when they died. I thought the latter one would live forever! My dad's 75, my mom will be 77 on 3/15. Their siblings are still alive. My mom's siblings (ages 70 to 82) have outlived their spouses.

My husband and I have had annuals for a number of years. Have never smoked. Seldom drink. Eat healthier since my surgery. My husband has never had a cavity in his life, which is amazing.

I'm determined to live at least as long as my parents, maybe as long as my oldest grandmother. :D :D

Latest posts

Back