longest-living pig valve patient

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LA_Cruiser

I'm trying to find out the longest a pig valve has lasted.

I've got one going on 45 years and wondering if it still has 20 to 40 years 'to go.'

...really, I feel awful, wondering if I'll wake up tomorrow.

THX & God Bless

Maybe the first place to ask is your cardiologist. What does she/he say? If you feel awful you probably need some help. Have you seen your card? God bless:)

Hi Cruiser-

Wow! 45 years for your old "piggy"! That's a long, long time.

Welcome to the site. You've got lots of cyber friends here that understand tons about heart valves and beyond.

I'm sorry that you're not feeling well. You don't say in what respect, but you certainly should go and get a checkup as soon as possible. If it's heart related, there is help available. So why wait another minute. Call today and get scheduled for some look-seeing by the doctor.

We're not a patient bunch, and we want all our buddies to get things checked out fast.

Let us know how things are progressing.

hi cruiser!
welcome to this wonderful site. everyone here is so supportive, informative and caring.
i agree with the others, if you're not feeling well (what symptoms do you have?), a trip to your doctor/cardio is definitely in order.... fast.
please keep us posted about what you feel like, when you are seeing the doc and what happenns.
be well,, sylvia

Damn, 45 years, congratulations. I do agree that you're definitely due for a checkup on that one! I think pig valves are usually only expected to last 10 or so years, so you've gotten more than your money's worth already.

Surgery and valves have come a long way in the last 45 years, so I'm sure they can get you fixed, whatever it takes. I agree with Nancy, as usual; don't waste any time getting it checked out, if you haven't already.

Good luck and God bless.

We need a VR.com Historian.

Anybody know when the FIRST Valve Replacement Surgery took place? 1957 was 45 years ago....

If it sounds too good to be true....

'AL'

Damn! :D :D :D I say again, damn :mad: :eek: :( :confused: :D , somebody sure got us on that one!

Hmmm??!! LA_Cruizer, first post ever, I wonder who that might be?

Your correct Janie...... actually the implantation proceedures of themselves have only around approximately 34-35 years. I am not even talking about the tissue valves. Give or take a year or two.

I did not research it, just recall my surgeon stating if I needed this operation at birth....it was not available.

Hmmmm, makes you wonder. Oink oink;)

This appears to be the history...........
http://heart-surgeon.com/history.html

Last edited:
Well, maybe we've been "had".

Here's some interesting history info. on heart valves that I found doing a little research. I'm also looking for an inexpensive copy of "King of Hearts" which is the story of Dr. Lillehei, one of the founders of open heart surgery. My grandson wants to be a heart surgeon. He's very smart. I thought he'd like to read about this man.

I also came across info. that kangaroo valves were being researched for human use!!! How true that is we'll have to wait and see, Sure would put a spring in your step, though. What you can find on the internet is truly amazing.

Bill, that's a funny cartoon.

http://www.ctsnet.org/doc/3531

http://www.ohioheartsurgery.com/milestones.htm

http://heart-surgeon.com/history.html

Last edited:
Hi

Hi

Sorry for not replying earlier, I don't have 'sufficient' access to a computer.

So this means my doctor lied to me?

I would NOT bet my life on the information I provided.

I was twelve years old when a stray 22 caliber bullet almost crossed my heart (it's still lodged in the upper left-hand chamber).

I had three surgeries within one month, my last stay was four days short of six months (I was contemplating escaping via a window from my third floor prison when the doctor told me I could go home IF I promised to 'take it easy').

The following is an email to the LA Times right after my post at this forum:

letters 'AT' latimes_dot_com >>>>>>

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to find out how long pig valves last.

I have one 'going' on its 45th aniversery and wondering how long it will last.

How would I rate as to 'the individual with the longest living transplanted pig valve?'

I was told about two years ago that I should 'submit' to my 'next' open-heart surgery but I haven't had the time (three hospitals total have given me this advise).

THX & God Bless

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

God Bless

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back