Life Insurance

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris Green

Hello,

I am looking to get some more life insurance, the first since my diagnosis of a mildly regurgitating bicuspid aortic valve. Will I have much difficulty finding any that is not ridiculously loaded.

Any tales of caution, recommendations, suggestions, experiences out there?

Thanks in advance
Chris Green

I would defiantly recommend consulting with a professional financial planner. It will be next to impossible if you have surgery to obtain coverage. Luckily, I purchased my policy years prior to having my MVR. I did have MVP and the policy was granted. I would not make a big deal out of your condition as far as they are concerned. Only offer information if you are asked for it. If they do ask about your heart tell them you have a murmur, that's all I did. Should not be an issue.

Good luck.

Very difficult task

Very difficult task

I don't know about the experiences of others but for me it has been impossible to get life insurance, and I do not have one. Even if I "sugarcoat" my very extensive medical history I find that by the time I mention extensive heart surgery they deem me uninsurable. One company did actually say that well, perhaps they could but then they got a written report from my doctor and that sort of made it impossible... They will not even cover me at a very hefty and/or outrageous premium...

Like Gina suggested, only answer what asked and I wish you the very best of luck!

/jessica :D

Hi Chris.

I was able to get life insurance, but it wasn't what I wanted and certainly cost more than I had hoped.

10 years ago I was diagnosed with moderate aortic stenosis. I kind of blew off any follow up until this fall as I didn't have any symptoms. My wife has suggested life insurance for awhile, so I called my agent prior to a physical I knew was coming up.

I answered all the insurance questions honestly about the AS and am pretty healthy otherwise. The insurance company got all medical records from my primary (at the time 10 years ago) and the cardiologist at the time. I didn't mention that I was going to soon have a physical. The insurance nurse came by the same day as my physical and I spoke honestly about the last physical I had as being in the past. :) As it turned out, my AS has progress to severe. Surgery is set for 3 weeks from today.

Based solely on the moderate AS diagnosis from 10 years ago, the insurance company only gave my a 5 year renewable term. The cost was twice what I expected at even a lower coverage amount and to renew in 4 1/2 years the cost will double from what it is now. Not the greatest deal, but at least I was able to get some.

Chris.

Latest posts

Back