Ladies, urgent question about bc

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherry

Hello, All. I've browsed the search function until I'm blue in the face and am still not finding too much on this topic. I'm to the point that I'm going to either go on a low-dose progesterine pill for bleeding or a progesterine-only IUD (new one on the market). I've read a few posts about some of you being on the low dose pill but nothing about the IUD. The problem with the latter is that there is a small risk during insertion for uterine perforation that would be problematic because of the coumadin. My gyn and I were on the phone this morning (appt. is tomorrow), and she asked me to pose the question to the female members of this website to gather some anecdotal evidence as to who's using what. Apparently, I'm the only prosthetic valve patient in her practice, and she wants to be safe. Thanks to any of you in advance for replies on this topic.

Sherry,

I can't help since I ended up with a hysterectomy to deal with bleeding. However, I did want to wish you well in researching this decision.

Good luck.

I ain't no lady, but --- I did stay at a Holiday Inn last month ... I doubt that you would lose more than 2 pints of blood so you probably won't l need a transfusion.

allodwick said:
I ain't no lady, but --- I did stay at a Holiday Inn last month ... I doubt that you would lose more than 2 pints of blood so you probably won't l need a transfusion.

Huh?? :confused: :confused:

Al's being funny

Al's being funny

Sherry...what Al is trying to say in his way is IF there was a perforation of the uterus, you wouldn't bleed more than 2 pints of blood. SO that possibility (a perforation) really isn't something to worry about even with the coumadin.:D :D

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Kristi. My fogged brain wasn't catching the humor today. :D :D

Anyway, I'm guessing that the path of least resistance may be the pills (not to mention the lower cost) so I may try them for a few months. Just hoping others would respond to this thread to let me know their experiences with either.

Hi Sherry,

I wish you well. Really feel for you. Have not solved that issue yet either. Really want the hysterectomy! One thing on the IUD. You may wish to question infection stats. GF of mine recently had issues from an IUD device.

Take care.

Until a few years ago, I used a low dose birth control pill (all the time). Meaning, I was on the active pills constantly (no placebos). I didn't have a period for five years. I thought I had died and gone to Heaven. Before that, the bleeding was soooo HEAVY. I was miserable and it my period lasted for two and a half weeks and then WHAM!...it was time for another period. Anyway, I'm off the pill and haven't had a period in three months so hopefully, I'm entering menopause. I mean I am 53...enough already! Anywho, maybe this info helps a little. I would be careful of an IUD because of the risk of infection. LINDA

I was bleeding more heavily than normal. Started a low dose progesterone patch and it worked great after about 2 months. Then the stenosis reared its ugly head and I had conflicting advice from 3 doctors and decided to just stop everything. Periods went back to being heavy. Then the cardio put me on Diovan 80mg for moderately high blood pressure. Periods calmed down. Heart palpitations kicked in. Then I went on Atenolol 25. No help. Upped the Atenolol to 50 mg and my periods stopped!! Now, I am 52 and my latest blood test said I'm finished. So, it's probably my time, but I just thought I'd throw that out there in case Diovan has some magical property.

If I were you, I would NOT do the IUD. Try the patch!! It's so easy. If that doesnt' work, do the IUD as a last resort.

Good luck!

Marguerite

I do see women who get blood clots in the legs from estrogen tablets. I have never seen anyone with a clot for a hormone replacement patch. I have seen clots with birth control patches.

Thanks for explaining me Kristy. Us Coloradoans got to stick together again' them Hoosiers.

Sherry is one of the few who has eaten dinner sitting next to me but she still doesn't understand!!

Hi Sherry,

I feel your pain. Last year I got in a pissing contest with my OB/GYN over the whole BC thing. She wanted to take me off the pill, citing my risk of stroke was too great, since I not only had a valve repair, but had visual migraines, as well. She had ruled out an IUD because of infection risk (but that might just be b'casue of my endocarditis). My OB/GYN was a big proponent of Depo, instead.

At that time, I did a bunch of research on risk of stroke while on BC, as compared to various odds of dying. Below is the result. Basically, your risk of stroke while on the pill is 1-in-25,000 - right after your odds of dying in a plane crash (1-in-20,000), and right before your odds of dying in a flood (1-in-25,000). Puts it in perspective, no?

At the end of our little contest, after I got a second opinion, they agreed to put me on the "mini-pill" (I wanted SOME estrogen and wasn't content with a progestin only pill), and told me to be vewy, vewy careful. :D

The odds are below. The data on BC/stroke came from reputable medical journals such as JAMA.

Cause of Death Lifetime Odds
Heart Disease 1-in-5
Cancer 1-in-7
Stroke 1-in-23
Accidental Injury 1-in-36
Motor Vehicle Accident* 1-in-100
Intentional Self-harm (suicide) 1-in-121
Falling Down 1-in-246
Assault by Firearm 1-in-325
Risk of Contracting PID 1-in-617
Fire or Smoke 1-in-1,116
Risk of Contracting PID on BCP 1-in-2000
Natural Forces (heat, cold, storms, quakes, etc.) 1-in-3,357
Electrocution* 1-in-5,000
Risk of Ovarian Cancer 1-in-5587
Drowning 1-in-8,942
Risk of Ovarian Cancer on BCP 1-in-14204
Stroke from migraine BCP 1 in 14,285
Air Travel Accident* 1-in-20,000
Stroke from BCP 1 in 25,000
Flood* (included also in Natural Forces above) 1-in-30,000
Legal Execution 1-in-58,618
Tornado* (included also in Natural Forces above) 1-in-60,000
Lightning Strike (included also in Natural Forces above) 1-in-83,930
Snake, Bee or other Venomous Bite or Sting* 1-in-100,000
Earthquake (included also in Natural Forces above) 1-in-131,890
Dog Attack 1-in-147,717
Asteroid Impact* 1-in-200,000**
Tsunami* 1-in-500,000
Fireworks Discharge 1-in-615,488

How do you be very careful since the first sign that something is wrong is that you cannot move one side of your body?

Thanks for the replies. (You too, Al, my reunion dining friend :) ) I've got to see her today in a few hours, and I think I'll just ask for the prog. pills rather than the IUD. I realize the perforation risk is small, but being on the two blood thinners would just complicate matters, plus the IUD is supposed to stay in place for five years. I guess if I don't like the pill, I could just stop taking it rather than having to have something removed. This whole business about the estrogen pill causing clots seems to be a moot point to those of us taking a "protector" (coumadin), plus, I'm on an every other day dose of Plavix for all the visual episodes, which makes me even less prone to having clots. BTW, Melissa, I've had very good luck with that dose of Plavix and having fewer occulars. I'll send you a PM this evening about my experiences with this.

I would have preferred endometrial ablation

By coincidence, I happened to skim an advertisement just yesterday for this procedure in the March 6 (or thereabouts) issue of People magazine. It called it a 90-second procedure to end excessive bleeding! I guess I was meant to relay this info. I can't speak to its worth at all, of course.

You know, she has mentioned ablation several times, but she also felt she would have to take me off coumadin during the procedure, which I wasn't comfortable with. I have heard that they are tremendously successful in terms of monthly bleeding though.

Sherry said:
You know, she has mentioned ablation several times, but she also felt she would have to take me off coumadin during the procedure, which I wasn't comfortable with. I have heard that they are tremendously successful in terms of monthly bleeding though.

FWIW My gyno said that he would not have me go off Coumadin for an ablation. However, I'm supposed to have a D & C prior, so I'd need to go off for that, so I'm being the queen of procrastination on that. He said the ablation itself should not cause a bleeding concern. The bleeding concern comes from clamping the cervix open and that may cause it to bleed. He said if that happened, he'd just put in a stitch or two.

Nuva Ring :)

Can be used full time with no breaks, very similar to the IUD without the risks of insertion and if you don't like it, take it out!

Thanks, all, for your responses. I saw her this afternoon, and she wanted to know what your experiences were here on the site (kind of cool that she's interested in us and our opinions). We both mutually decided on the path of least resistance to start with -- the progesterine pill. If it doesn't work, we may try a mixed pill or the IUD. I didn't know anything about the ring, Natanni. Thanks for that info, and I'll mention it to her next time.

BTW, I'll still be interested in any more experiences you all have to offer. You all are my only point of reference.

endrometial ablation

endrometial ablation

I have the ablation and loved the fact that I had it done and I don't have to mess with HEAVY bleeding each month. I am on coumadin and they took me off of it and put me on the an iv drip of some sort of blood thinner and the went back on coumadin and never had any problems. I don't think this should be a worry about having the ablation.

Sagebrush said:
I have the ablation and loved the fact that I had it done and I don't have to mess with HEAVY bleeding each month. I am on coumadin and they took me off of it and put me on the an iv drip of some sort of blood thinner and the went back on coumadin and never had any problems. I don't think this should be a worry about having the ablation.

So did you end up spending time in the hospital because of the IV drip (of heparin, I'm guessing)?

Latest posts

Back