Kidney Stones and Coumadin??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

wlaldridge

New guy here, expecting AVR in early September. If mechanical and I expect that to be recommended since I am only 59, will my existing Kidney stones likely be a big problem. You know they do cause some bleeding as they try to pass from time to time. Not too often thank the heavens.

Anyone have experience or knowledge in this area??

Hi Bill,

Having had Kidney Stones in the past (before VR surgery), I highly recommend that you drink plenty of (filtered) water. We use a Brita Filter on pitchers for our drinking water and ice. Many people opt for installing filters on their faucets.

IF you would like to avoid Coumadin anticoagulation therapy and IF you are willing to undergo a second valve replacement in 15 to 20 years, I suggest you look into the (Carpentier-Edwards) Bovine Pericardial Valve. I know that several VR.com members have this valve and I'm a little surprised that it is not more popular since it appears to be a safe alternative to mechanical valves and should outlive pig valves by 50 to 100%.

'AL'

You can lose about 2 pints of blood before you get into real trouble. Imagine dropping a quart of oil on the floor. It will make a slick about the size of your car. There is very little chance of bleeding anywhere near this much.

Latest posts

Back