Jennifer O Successful surgery!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JenniferO

Hello to all!!
I am sorry that I did not post yesterday, but it has been hectic around here. And I saw that the initial news got posted here yesterday. Jennifer had her mitral valve repaired by Dr Cosgrove on Thursday, and she is recuperating as well as possible. Today, (Saturday), She fought nausea most of the day as she tried to eliminate the anasthetics. By tonight, she is doing better, walking, coughing, and doing the spirometer thing. I want you all to know how much you mean to her as she stands at the top of her mountain, aided by your prayers and support.
THANK YOU!!!
Mike O (JenniferO's husband)

HI Mike-

Please send Jennifer my regards, I am so happy that she's doing well. It's hard those first few days for the patient and for the spouse who has to witness the post op pain and all of the effort needed to get the body moving, but each day will bring improvements. Jennifer, you'll soon be home in your own bed or recliner and feeling more like yourself. The spirometer is important even though it's difficult. Take care

VERY gentle get-better hugs for Jennifer...

VERY gentle get-better hugs for Jennifer...

Please tell Jennifer that we are thinking of her! I remember those first days after my surgery vividly. Please tell her not to rush things!

All my very best,

/jessica

Mornin Jennifer and Mike:

Jennifer, keep on walkin. It's important. Sounds like you are doing just fine standing at the top of the mountain and comin on down. Just look behind you and you will see others approaching that you will be able to help. God bless

Mike, she's coming along and as I said to you in my note, I know it's hard on you too. You'll be on your way home again soon.
But for God's sake, don't make her laugh and try to stop her if she has to sneeze (Impossible). OUCH. :)
Keep in touch.
Ross

Greetings from the nursing floor

Greetings from the nursing floor

Hi all: I'm using a computer from the nursing floor. It has been a very rough three days. The second and third days I was battling incredible nausea; I can't remember when I've felt so sick. We finally discontinued all the narcotics and that has helped. Just using Tylenol for pain now and an anti-nausea drug call Zofran.

Have to do lots of walking today and work with the spirometer as while I was nauseated I fell behind on schedule.

Hopefully, I'm on the mend now.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Welcome to the other side! I knew you would do it. The first few days are the groggiest! Now that you aren't on as many meds, like Hensylee said, just keep walking! That's the best thing for you. And keep that pillow right with you. I was clutching mine as I walked the hospital hallsfor dear life. Don't try to rush yourself too fast though! Keep using that Spirometer! That helps a lot! Soon you'll be home and trying to figure out things like how you'll be able to sleep the most comfortable. Everything in time! Take care Mike and Jennifer!

Hi Jennifer

Welcome to the other side of the 'mountain'!!! Very happy to hear you managed a repair.

Always tell myself....if it were not for the Coumadin, would not have a daily reminder.

You will feel good as new in no time. It absolutely amazes me that you made it to the computer at day three!
Keep up the good work.

Here I am up in the middle of the night walking the hospital corridors of the cardiothoracic surgery unit at CCF. I can see the window of our hotel room from here and since the light is out I assume Mike is sleeping peacefully. A light snow has fallen outside. I feel like a person just emerging from having been away for a very long time on a journey to a strange land--the world of heart surgery. It all feels so big and vast and overwhelming and life-changing. My little hospital bed is just way too confining so couldn't stay there. My body feels pretty contorted right now; even with all the adjustments you can make to a hospital bed, I can't seem to find the right position. That's what I get for being a stomach/side sleeper. This sleeping on the back is not something I'm adapting too. On top of it, I went to sleep listening to the first Harry Potter book on tape - that and the meds that are still working their way out of my system made for some pretty wild dreams last night; still trying to decipher their meanings.

There is some talk that I may be discharged from the hospital today (monday) after they pull the chest wires. We'll still be sticking around Cleveland for several days to be sure I don't need the doctors for a while. All the doctors in Salt Lake City went on vacation for the Olympics!

Thank you so much for all your support and messages. The contact with people we know certainly heps us stay sane and grounded.

You will be more comfortable when you are out of the hospital. And sticking around is a good idea. You are just moving out to give a space to Alan (alpage) who is having his surg this morning. Please pray. As you say, you went into a new world and isn't it wonderful! God bless

Side sleeping

Side sleeping

Jenn, ask the nurses about propping you up with pillows for side sleeping...they were so good to me there. Of course, I don't think I slept longer than 4 hours at a time there in the hospital. Good luck.

I guess my card to you isn't going to get there in time. I haven't gotten it yet! I'm one of those stomach sleepers myself. When I was discharged, I had to use the recliner to sleep on, for quite some time. It wasn't comfortable either, but it sure was a big improvement from trying to sleep in the bed.

The dreams-I never talked about mine. I know there is a meaning to them, but figuring it out, well, good luck. It's part of the experience I suppose. Your a heart veteran now, alot of things change and most all of them for the better. It gives you a whole new look on life does it not?

There is so much that I'd like to talk to you about, but I don't want to call and disturb you. Please let me know when you feel up to a good conversation. I look forward to it!

Your friend 1 hour away,
Ross

hi jennifer and mike!
so glad the worst is behind you and you're on your way to recovery. i wish you a smooth and easy one. please try and take it nice and slow, resting when you need to.
mara had recommended ice pops for nausea and they really helped joey a lot. i'm glad you're walking the halls at all hours. atleast you're walking! that helped too.
wishing you all the best and thank you for posting and letting us know how nicely you're doing.
God bless,
sylvia

Going home

Going home

I have been discharged from the hospital though I am still hanging around the nursing floor this afternoon to attend the "discharge class."

I am really, really tired. I am anxious to be home from the hospital to be able to eat good food and try and get some sleep. Couldn't ever sleep in the hospital bed and had to send Mike to the cafeteria salad bar so I could stomach lunch today.

We see the cardiologist here at CCF on Valentine's Day (appropriate I guess) and will head home to Salt Lake probably Sunday since it appears that changing reservations at this point is not an option due to unavailability of seats on earlier flights.

Will post again when I have more energy.

Jennifer

Last edited:
HeyJennifer

HeyJennifer

Jeniifer ..I'm so glad to see you doing so well. I hope my now you are comfy in your hotel ,relaxing and enjoying some kind of rest..maybe you'll be able to get more tempting food there . WEll Done Lass ,you have reached the other side of the mountain ..and by coming back in here ,you give encouragement to those that are still waiting .
I hope your recovery continues to go well and that you have a safe and comfy flight home ....keep in touch ..we are thinking of you
Scottie

"Discharge Class"? What can they possibly teach you now, that you haven't already figured out?

Let me guess, If your tired and are actually falling asleep, a beautiful, long lasting sleep, you should wake up immediately and invision a tech from hemotology in the room, readying to take some blood? A Nurse waking you up to give you a seditive?

Sorry kiddo, I have to poke some fun at ya. Don't laugh though!
Try to get some quality rest now.

Don't forget, my time is coming and I need you to be in my cheering section when my time arrives. :)

Mike, I do hope that your a fine chef. She's going to want to eat everything with flavor to it! ;)

Last edited:
what great news... discharged! wow, that was quick!
i'm so happy for the both of you that things are going so smoothly. please keep taking it easy and try to rest up while you can.
glad that you are well on your way to recovery.
God bless and be well,
sylvia

Congratulations, Jennifer on being discharged from the hospital. You'll be home in a few days.

So glad you did so well.

Back