jackc..just wonderin'

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jackc

Hi Folks......as always more questions

a) my throat is always "itchy" and as a consequence I have these little coughs that lead me to dive for the pillow. Could this itchy feeling be due to the respiratory tube and the transducer they put in my throat during the procedure ??

b) on occasion I cough up mucous ( clear and colorless ), something I did before only with severe colds. Is this a normal post-op happening?

jackc (Welland )

I had the itching throat post op as well. Went away in about a week after I got home.

I also had the clear mucous thing, but I had a pretty severe case of pneumonia whilst in ICU. I still sometimes get this...I'm 10 weeks post-op.

Johnny

Not to scare you any, but that sounds exactly like the virus that put a stop to my original surgery date.

jackc..just wonderin'

Ross Y said:
Not to scare you any, but that sounds exactly like the virus that put a stop to my original surgery date.

Jack forget the reply with quote for the time being. What were you trying to say? Don't tell me you have that darn virus.

jackc..just wonderin'

Hi Ross,

Sorry bout that...phone rang just in middle of my experimenting.
No I don't have the virus..just a scratchy throat which is getting less irritating as time passes.

The mucous in the lungs is also apparently normal and it too is less each day.

By the way I think I have come down from the adrenalin high of getting thru' the surgery without major incident and recovering so well...but while coming down I also realize I am somewhat of a
recovering invalid unable to do so many things. That is somewhat depressing and I find myself restating goals and redefing positive thoughts. It sure is an interesting experience.

Jackc

Glad to hear that it's not that darn viral thing!!! I still have remnants of it in my voice and it's been well over a month.

Do the best you can as far as thoughts and goals. You'll be getting better all the time.

I'm to the point now that I feel like an invalid because I tire so quickly, and theres been quite a few things that I've been unable to do for years now. I'm really hoping that this AVR will pick me up to the point where I may be of some value and start making money again. I guess we will see.

Take care of yourself and don't push it too fast. It'll come in time. :)

Hey Jack!

Glad to hear everything went well, and that you're home again! Well done!!

My guess is that mucous is normal. I had this too. Your lungs were shut down for a bit when you were on the bypass, and for me, I was surprised at how that 100 minutes or so really affected them. I would advise, as you've heard a ton of times already, to use that spirometer as much as possible, and every now and then hug a pillow and do some good coughing. This should clear it out and keep the pneumonia away. I also found that sleeping with my head propped up (such as in a recliner or with a pile of pillows) helped as well.

Yup, you WILL get frustrated at all the stuff you can't do. Just RESIGN yourself to this fact, set yourself up on the couch with a few good books or the TV remote, and prepare to relax for a while. Everything else can wait!!!

Hang in there!
Jennie

HI JACK....JUST A QUICK NOTE TO SEE HOW YOU'RE DOING? HOPE ALL IS GOING WELL AND THAT YOU'RE STILL UP AND WALKING. WE'RE UP AND WALKING IN LONG ISLAND, TOO. TYCE IS DOING VERY WELL, GOES FOR ANOTHER COUMADIN CHECK ON THURSDAY. WE TRY TO WALK EVERY MORNING AT 5, THEN SIT AND HAVE COFFEE ON THE DECK WHILE IT'S COOL, FEED DOGS AND THEN TAKE A NAP.....LIFE IS GOOD. EVELYN

Latest posts

Back