Its Never Right

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

ticktock

INR

Side affects are many and varied. As different as the many patients that take it. I am so lucky to have had none, except for a couple of bleeding episodes. I have been on Coumadin since 1978. Now aint that something? I would really check out that bloating and your other symptoms. Sometimes those Docs only see our heart disease when they look at us.

On the other hand, I once thought I had terrible gas pains, only to find out I had a very tiny bleed in my ovary. I had "gas pains" for three days, before I stood up from bed and fainted. Then I knew there "might" be something wrong. So, watch those symptoms and just be cautious, but not afraid. Im still here, even after those terrible gas pains!

Hensylee and Janie, YOU make MY day!! Its so nice to be noticed ( I mean besides the scar! ) . I feel like the Lion in the Wizard of Oz, "oh gawsh". When a stranger asks about my scar, I have a whole bunch of stories, depending on my mood. Sometimes I say it was "a really BAD boob job". Never crack a smile. If its a child I tell them to never run with scissors. I once told a pilot friend that I hand propped a piper cub and caught the prop with my chest. I got a million of em..... but I have had 40 years to think them up!

The only real side effect I had was bleeding from a ruptured cyst
2 months after my valve surgery. I thought it was constipation
from the iron pills I was on. Two days later I needed six units
of blood and a unit of plasma. My genocologist put me back on
birth contal pills. To stop ovulation which caused the cyst to form.
She told me women who are on coumadin should not ovualte due to the tiny cyst which occur at the time ovulation. I have had no problems since.

:) Judy

"She told me women who are on coumadin should not ovualte due to the tiny cyst which occur at the time ovulation"

Judy, can you please elaborate on this subject? Have never heard of such a thing.

It is my understanding that Women on Coumadin should not take any type of birth control due the increased risk of blood clots. Have also heard that certian types of hormone replacement can be risky. Guess I will cross that bridge when it's time.

Gina

Once a month when you ovulate and tiny cyst may form
when the egg is realised from the ovary. Mine ruptured
causing me to bleed. My INR the day before was at 2.6.
When the cyst ruptured it continued to bleed. Which made
my Inr level go up. Two days later I was in such pain I
could not walk and hubby called ambulance. My INR at
emergency was 7.8 and my hemoglobin was really low.
My family dr. sent me to Edmonton to see a gynecologist.
women hympophiliacs also should also prevent ovulation.
My cardiologist knows that I take them along with a baby
aspirin.

Maybe ask your Dr. I am curious as to his response.
:p Judy

Hi Girls
Well, that cyst thing that you all have mentioned is exactly what caused those "gas pains" I mentioned in an earlier post. I really hate to alarm people, so I am hesitant to tell some of my stories. But....... Those gas pains turned out to be a ruptured cyst, caused during ovulation. This was 1985, and I was in the ER and they FINALLY figured out I had a tummy FULL of blood. They explained that a normally coagulating person would have clotted off. I obviously did not. I was in a small community hospital at the time, with 3 ICU beds. My Doc said that when he went to find an Anesthesiologist two were caught running out the back door!!
My Mom asked to have me transferred to a large hospital with a Cardiac unit. No time. I had the surgery with a hgb of 8.2 and an INR of 2.5

Prior to going into shock, I asked the Doc to do a total hys due to my Coumadin, etc. He said No, he couldnt do that, and the chances of this happening again were "one in a million". Famous last words. Had the surgery, continued to bleed. They kept administering blood products, and finally had to quit the heparin. My Cardio told my folks it was a real crap shoot. Had to stop the bleeding to keep me alive. Stopping the Heparin, well you know what that does. BUT! God had other plans. No stroke, the bleeding stopped, and once again, I was a MIRACLE! 21 days in ICU.

Eight months later to the day, it happened again. But thats another story.

OMG Mindy!!! Glad you are ok. Geeze what a nightmare.

Would really like to learn more about the 'cyst formation' during ovulation/involving Coumadin.

If you can think of anything additional.....please email me directly.

Have constant concerns monthly due to the Coumadin.
Thanks
:)

Gina
I am constantly amazed at the incidence of bleeding due to ovulation that is not considered of great priority to our Docs.
I mean, how many girls here have mentioned a "problem"?
It was a dire emergency in my case, and I quite nearly died.
I was never so close in any of my heart surgeries, well, ok,
maybe the last one. But that bleeding out is NO fun. It is important to go somewhere adept at handling you. DONT go to a little hospital, or one without your Cardio. Mine came out to see me, held my hand, leaned over and whispered "if you ever come here again, I will kill you myself"!!! hahahahah She had a great sense of humor!

Back