Inr Test

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creed3

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi Everyone!
I just had another INR test yesterday. I'm at 2.4. Five days ago I was at 1.4. My doc says he doesn't want to test me again for ten days. I hope that is not too long. He said that if I stay within my range in ten days, then I can be tested once a month.
Right now I am taking 6 mg of Coumadin daily. The last time I was within my range I dropped off to 1.4 in just a couple days and I was taking 5 mg then. I also talked to my new cardiologist again about the Protime machine and he said that he thinks they are getting more accurate, but he still doesn't feel completely comfortable yet having his patients use them. He said maybe sometime in the future. My family doc says he hears they are pretty accurate. Well, maybe I will pursue it more once I get my levels regulated.
I have to admit that I am getting so bored right now. 2 1/2 weeks post surgery. I can't drive anywhere. My mother is here helping with the kids (she can't drive), and we both feel housebound. It is raining steady here too right now. When my hubby comes home from work we both jump on him to take us out somewhere :D lol!
My incision is starting to burn and pull and tug. I thought I remembered someone mentioning that you could put something on the incision to keep it softer and not tight and dry feeling. The docs at Cleveland said not to put anything on it. Boy, you can tell I am bored today, I just keep rambling on and on. Sorry about that. Hope everyone is doing well today.

Creed3

Feel free to ramble on. I'll try to do the same....
I had my INR checked this morning, 3.2; it was 2.7 last week. I'm currently testing weekly because I'm on an antibiotic that can "increase prothrombin time" according to the PDR. Apparently it has.
Your current coumadin dosage is irrelevant; it's the INR that counts.
I'm quite content testing INR once a week. If I ever got my own machine, I would want to test every week. But it is so convenient to go over to the hospital to test. I just observed today that the machine I'm tested on is a Coaguchek; I still don't know how that differs from a Protime machine.
Please do enjoy the down time now, and do take advantage of everyone's care and concern, which certainly won't last.

Hi Creed,

Glad to hear that you are feeling well after surgery.

I went through the scar itch and dry skin thing too.. I got some cocoa butter and used it along my incisions for almost one complete year. My scars are almost completely transparent. Not sure if I can attribute this to the cocoa butter or to the doc's for taking their time and doing a good job stitching me up. The cocoa butter comes in a stick tube and can be purchased at any drug store.

Enjoy your time off.. See and do things that you always wanted to, but didn't have the time. Life in the slow lane can be fun, you get to see more befor it passes you.

Wishing you good health,
Rob

hi Creed

hi Creed

I can sympathise with the boredom feeling ...four 1/2 weeks post op and still not driving ...as soon as my hubby gets home I jump in the car and urge him to take me to the store ...And this from one who used to hate food shopping ....People say to enjoy the time off and I know the time will come when we may but as yet I feel too tired to do the kind of things I'd want to do if I was healthy and as we live in the middle of nowhere there is nothing we can do without being able to drive . I'm starting to feel I've got used to being on my own a little though and I know this is stupid to say as I am usually a very confident person but the only person I feel really comfortable with is Hubby ...for others I feel I have to make too much effort or answer questions I'd rather not answer ...Take care anyway ..I see my Cardio on WEdnesday and hope to start using a cream for my scar after checking it out with him . Stay well ...
Scottie

My Coumadin Clinic uses the Coaguchek machine which reads higher than my Protime by 0.8 units on average. I let the Clinic manage my dosage and use my Protime as a 'safety net' to catch any drastic changes in either direction. If I see a change, I go in for a clinic test to confirm it and let them decide if I need to change my dosage.

'AL'

Hey Creed

Hey Creed

My inr has finally stablized between 2.7 and 2.8. It takes time and patience on your part to wait the inr testing out. You will be fine. Just keep doing what has to be done. You are doing quite and and be sure to walk outside if it is nice.

Caroline
09-13-01
aortic valve replacement
St Jude's valve

Back