INR and Strokes

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
allodwick said:
I learned a new thing just yesterday. I had no idea how bad Crohn's Disease was at causing blood clots. I knew it did but didn't realize how much.
Ok, lets hear the story on this one.

I'm just starting to learn.

A patient put me on to this. She is one of 13 siblings. 3 of the six girls have Rh negative blood and Crohn's with blood clots. Her son has Rh negative blood and Crohn's but hasn't had a clot.

allodwick said:
I'm just starting to learn.

A patient put me on to this. She is one of 13 siblings. 3 of the six girls have Rh negative blood and Crohn's with blood clots. Her son has Rh negative blood and Crohn's but hasn't had a clot.

I just learned of a form of Lupus called Lupus Anticoagulant. A 19 year-old girl I worked with recently has it. She is on Coumadin for the rest of her life for it. She has already thrown 2 clots to her lungs. The first time was when they dx'd her disease, the 2nd was when she felt a strange pain in her leg and told a co-worker to call 911.

Karlynn said:
I just learned of a form of Lupus called Lupus Anticoagulant. A 19 year-old girl I worked with recently has it. She is on Coumadin for the rest of her life for it. She has already thrown 2 clots to her lungs. The first time was when they dx'd her disease, the 2nd was when she felt a strange pain in her leg and told a co-worker to call 911.
Sounds like the perfect candidate for a Greenfield Filter!

Blanche said:
People are always telling me how good it was to get him to the hospital so fast. (We are about 5 miles from the hospital.) And, although I don't want to argue with them, I don't see that it makes a big difference to someone on anticoagulation since they can't be given the clot-buster drug. The doctor told me that getting him to hospital helped keep him from hurting himself further. I have no idea what the heck this was supposed to mean.

Regards,
Blanche
Blanche,
Are you sure about this: "to someone on anticoagulation since they can't be given the clot-buster drug." I was under the impression that as long as it was
a non-bleeding stroke ( meaning it was a clot ), protocol calls to give a "clot-busting" drug as soon as possible. I have instruction to take me to nearest
level 1 stroke center in the event of my suffering a stroke, since they are one of the only ones allowed to do this therapy. Which for me, means going past three other hospitals.

Lupus Anticoagulant is a devastating condition. It causes a prolongation of the Prothrombin time (the parameter that is actually measured to produce the INR number.) However, in spite of this it actually increases the risk of clots. (It is misnamed.) People with this are susceptible to clotting any artery or vein at any moment. Warfarin is not a very good drug to use to treat it, but there is nothing else even close to being as good.

You should be glad that you only have a heart valve problem.

Strokes are either hemorrhagic, i.e. a blood vessel breaks, or occlusive meaning that either a clot embolized there from elsewhere, formed there, or some other material embolized there. Clot dissolving drugs will not do anything for a hemorrhagic stroke, only for an embolic stroke that is caused by a blood clot not fat. The problem related to Coumadin is that there is always death of some brain tissue from a clot and after several days there may be minor bleeding from this area that in a non anticoagulated patient will stop spontaneously but not in the patient on Coumadin.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

allodwick said:
Lupus Anticoagulant is a devastating condition. It causes a prolongation of the Prothrombin time (the parameter that is actually measured to produce the INR number.) However, in spite of this it actually increases the risk of clots. (It is misnamed.) People with this are susceptible to clotting any artery or vein at any moment. Warfarin is not a very good drug to use to treat it, but there is nothing else even close to being as good.

You should be glad that you only have a heart valve problem.

We've got a new member whose profile says she suffers from this condition. She's asked about other members having a mechanical valve while pregnant.

Latest posts

Back