INR After Flu Shot

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creed3

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi Everyone!
Three weeks ago my INR was at about 2.3, right where it should be. I talked to my doc about INR going up some after a flu shot and he didn't say much other than, get the flu shot, which I did. I have been taking 7 mg of coumadin. I was justed tested again, 5 days after the flu shot and I am at 4.85. He told me to skip my meds for two days and then start taking 6 mg. I am supposed to be checked again in 8 days. I told the ofiice that it didn't surprise me that it was up, I thought the flu shot may have done it. They told me they never heard of that or have ever seen that being the case. I like my doc alot, but I am not quite sure about this skipping 2 days. From what I have learned here, I would think they would just lower my dose by about 10%. I also had talked to him about my INR going up after the flu shot and he didn't even take any of that into account. What do you all think?

Take Care!
Gail

Dear Gail,
I asked that question at our Coumadin Clinic and they said that usually the day of the flu shot they lower the coumadin dose.

Martha (mom to Chrissy aortic valve replacement 10/2/02 St. Jude bileaflet, truncus arterisus, pace maker)

10% SOLUTION ?

10% SOLUTION ?

Creed, I think the 10% solution would apply in your case. Al Lodwick might reduce your weekly dose by one daily dose i.e. 7 mgm spread over the entire week. Check with him, he is the ultimate guru.

I experienced the same set up. I tested 4.4 right after the flu shot and they had me hold 2 days then resume. On the next test I was clear down to 1.3. Now that I've resumed going to the Coumadin Clinic instead of the Doctor doing dosage adjustments, I'm hanging right at 3.4 to 3.6. Currently I'm on 10mg 5 days a week and 5mg 2 days a week.

Latest posts

Back