INR, Accuracy, and Symptoms

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

ALCapshaw

My last INR reading at my Coumadin Clinic was 4.2 on a Coaguchek machine. (My Protime indicated 2.9 less than an hour earlier).

Question 1:

With an INR of 4.2, should I expect to see bruising?

Question 2:

The QAS nurse recommended a 3 way test, Protime vs. Coaguchek vs. a veinous draw. I asked the Coumadin Clinic Nurse (who is adamantly against home testing) what we would need to do to have a veinous draw AND the usual Coaguchek finger stick at my next scheduled test (this coming Friday). She did NOT want to make this test and advised me that my insurance would not cover both tests. She told me I could choose ONE method and to stick with it.

What is the best way to correlate between the three types of tests?
Do I need to ask my Cardiologist to order such a comparison test?

'AL'

Hi Al,

You would have to do a similtanious draw. Bring your unit along, test, then use labs Coaguchek, then the arm draw. Make certain they are using the same lab when they send the sample out. If you are using differant labs........there will be variances.

I was always told the results should be within .02 of each other.

Hi Al,

RE: Question 1. When I was at 4.2 I did have a couple of bruises..one about the size of a baseball on my leg, and a much smaller one on my abdomen (about the size of a quarter). Both were works of art with all colors of the rainbow present.

Dear Al:

My husband's range is 3.0 to 4.0 (higher because of stroke prevention). He's been over 4.0 several times, and as high as 5.2. Actually, right now he is 4.7. He's never had bruising. But then, everyone is different. Actually, the lab once registered 8.2. It was an error,although the doctor was not willing to admit that. Hubby did a lab test at outpatient the next day (the day he got the results that were 8.2 from the test the day before.) His INR at the outpatient was 3.8. Please tell me how someone goes from 8.2 to 3.8 in one day. It was a lab error, and that isn't the only one he's experienced. None the less, you must take the 4.2 seriously, and I'm sure they have reduced your coumadin dosage.

You will probably have to ask your doctor to order the three way test because the coumadin clinic nurse is not willing to cooperate. In any event, you will have to have a doctor order the lab test (veinous draw) and your insurance probably won't pay for two tests on the same day. Perhaps QAS would pick up that cost for you since you are verifying the accuracy of their product.

Hubby went through the same thing you are going through now. He even has two ProTime monitors and did tests on one after the other and compared to lab results...at two different labs. He did this for months. It is a strenous and stressful process but one you must go through to verify results to your satisfaction. In the end, you are going to have to choose one procedure and you have to have confidence in that procedure. Best of luck.
Blanche

Back