Important

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SuperDragon

Mom got called in today around 12pm and me and Chris got there at 12:45pm. He had developed one (for sure, maybe more) bleb(s), and this one burst and started leaking air from his lungs, and he was turning purple. He was diagnosed with a pneumothorax (collapsed lung as I looked it up), so they put a stomach tube in to the leak and it's doing ok right now. He has some type of infection that the doctors can't figure out yet, but it keeps his BP really low and his temp was up to 104 degrees when called in, and when we left it was 103.8. He was diagnosed with a pneumothorax. We just now came home to eat and then we are going back. It's 6:55pm now. Keep praying.

Steve

Steve,

Wow Ross is really battling. He is a tough old bird and I am sure he is going to be fine. As long as he knows his family is by his side, I am sure that will help him.

I am getting my AVR replaced two weeks from tomorrow so I sure need Ross to be OK as I need him pulling for me.

We are all praying and thinking of you.

Walter

Oh Steve-

What a terrible time for the whole family and for Ross. We'll be waiting to hear that he's stabilized. I pray that's the last of the nasties for Ross and that he can get on with healing.

God love you all,

Steve:

So sorry about this latest crisis; I'll be holding Ross and your family in prayer this evening and we'll all be waiting anxiously to hear.

ABSOLUTELY, STEVE, WE WILL KEEP PRAYING BOTH FOR YOUR DAD AND YOUR FAMILY. THIS HAS BEEN A TERRIBLE TIME FOR ALL OF YOU.....EVELYN AND TYCE

From WebMD website, for whatever it's worth. Bulla is apparently another term for "bleb."

pneumothorax

Miller-Keane Medical Dictionary, 2000

(noo´´mo-thor´aks) accumulation of air or gas in the pleural cavity, resulting in collapse of the lung on the affected side. The condition may occur spontaneously, as in the course of a pulmonary disease, or it may follow trauma to, and perforation of, the chest wall or lung parenchyma.
SPONTANEOUS PNEUMOTHORAX. This condition occurs when there is an opening on the surface of the lung allowing leakage of air from the airways or lung parenchyma into the pleural cavity. Most often it occurs when an emphysematous bulla or other weakened area on the lung ruptures. Normally the pleural cavity is an airtight compartment with a negative pressure. When air enters the pleural cavity the lung collapses, producing shortness of breath and mediastinal shift toward the unaffected side (see also "mediastinal shift" MEDIASTINAL SHIFT).
Other symptoms of spontaneous pneumothorax are a sudden sharp chest pain, fall in blood pressure, weak and rapid pulse, and cessation of normal respiratory movements on the affected side of the chest.
Spontaneous pneumothorax may require no specific treatment beyond bed rest and the administration of oxygen to relieve dyspnea. The patient usually is more comfortable if allowed to sit up. In some cases "thoracentesis" THORACENTESIS and aspiration of air from the pleural cavity may be necessary. This allows for reexpansion of the lung. If air continues to leak from the defect in the lung surface a continuous closed-drainage apparatus is set up (see also "chest tubes" CHEST TUBES). As soon as the lung lesion heals and the lung is reexpanded, the patient is allowed to resume usual daily activities.
Tension pneumothorax is a particularly dangerous form of pneumothorax that occurs when air escapes into the pleural cavity from a bronchus but cannot regain entry into the bronchus. As a result, continuously increasing air pressure in the pleural cavity causes progressive collapse of the lung tissue. Emergency treatment-aspiration of air from the pleural cavity-is necessary in this disorder. If untreated, increased pressure within the pleural cavity will cause lung collapse and "mediastinal shift" MEDIASTINAL SHIFT.

Jennifer - thanks for that explanation. Don't know if ya'll recall, but Ross said he always gets pneumonia when he goes in the hospital - and he recently had that really bad infection and lost his voice and they delayed his surgery because of it. So we know he went there with lung problems already in place. His expectations about this surgery were really guarded, to say the least. He is in a dangerous spot right now, it sounds, so we must join hands and pull together for him. And then wait for news.

God be with you all, Steve. Ann

Praying for Ross

Praying for Ross

Ann is right..Let's all join hands tonight and Pray hard for Ross...Maybe we will hear back from Steve soon...with good news. :) Bonnie

Steve - Sorry to hear about this latest setback. I know the lungs are Ross's problems. However, colapsed lungs are fairly common and those doctors should know how to deal with it. I will continue my daily prayers because Ross is such a good guy. Keep in touch, we really appreciate you keeping us part of your ordeal.

I talked with Ross on the phone the Saturday before his surgery; he was really scared and expecting things to go badly, though I'm not sure he forsaw all this.

Ann and Bonnie, I love the image of us all holding hands in a circle. I asked myself, "how does one hold a cyber-hand?" It reminded me of the Zen koan "what is the sound of one hand clapping?" Yet, holding cyber-hands is something we do every day on this site. Isn't the Internet wonderful?

I then had the image of all of us (running through the names of so many of the persons on this site in my mind) standing in concentric circles around each other and hold hands in prayer and unity for Ross' healing. It was a comforting and beautiful image.

I'll continue to hold that in my mind and heart.

Last edited:
I'm here holding out my hand and praying very hard, As I know we all are. Please Steve, Hang in there...All will be well. Ross will get through this. I know how strong he is. You also are a very strong person and it's important to be strong for him and you're doing a great job. Thanks once again for the updates.

Dear Steve:

There are no words to express our concern for Ross and your family. Many of us as you know, are checking this site periodically throughout the day, to see if you have posted an update. You have been really great about letting us know what is happening.

Our love and prayers go out to you, to Ross, and to all who care about this lovely man.

May God watch over him closely, and bring him back to all of us, safe and sound.

Marybeth

Important

Dear Steve,

I'm sure everyone will be praying for Ross's recovery. I am very new to this site and Ross was actually the first one to welcome me to the site. Everyone is very caring of everyone here. We will praying for your whole family and wait to hear more.

God Bless you All
Becky

Hi Steve,

I am just very sad to hear about these new complications. I am continuing to pray. Hang in there, and thanks for the updates.

-Jennie

Just wanted to add my support, care and concern for Ross and his family. Words seem so inadequate at times like this. I've been checking daily on his progress but not posting. Just wanted to let you know, Steve, that there are many of us doing so. This means there is even more support out there for you and Ross than is obvious from the messages here. I will remain hopeful and positive for you all. It must be so hard for you to do so right now but I'm confident that he will soon turn the corner and be on his way back to you and us.

Steve, I am so sorry that your dad had this set back. Like Jayme said words cannot express the worry and pain that your family must feel. Please keep us posted as we are all anxious to see Ross get through this!

Our prayers and healing thoughts are with Ross and his family.

Thanks for the updates, Steve, painful as it must be for you. Ross is reminding us how serious valve replacement is and how much we must summon all help from God, doctors, family, and well-wishers to make it through.

God bless.

Last edited:
Dear Steve,

I want you to know that there are many of us, including myself who check each day to see how your dad is doing. I haven't written a post, mostly what I want to say has already been said, so no use in sending you repeats of what someone else already has said.
We are all very concerned and will keep praying for him. In the mean time we will have an imaginary cyber prayer circle for Ross. We all deeply care for him, because he's such a caring person himself.
Please hang in there.

Christina
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
TMC, Tucson. AZ
Dr. Gulshan Sethi
Mechanical

Steve,
Hang in there...I suspect you already know that your dad has touched the lives of many, and that we daily check to see how he is doing.

Best to your family,
--John

Latest posts

Back