If you self test you want to read this.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis S

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I have self tested for about 6 years. I started with Raytel, and that worked very well. As a matter of fact, I even was featured (without compensation) as a part of their advertising on the Web. In some manner or another, Philips Remote Cardiac Services took over. For me, they have been much more difficult to deal with, and that is saying something, considering I spent 25 years as a court room lawyer.

I finally decided I would rather spend the money on my own testing equipment than to keep harping at them. Now comes the good part---I told them I just wanted to purchase my unit and be done with them. A moment passed while the woman on the phone determined the purchase price for my meter. It turns out it is only $100.00, with strips available from them for $7.00 per strip. As a part of this I made arrangements with my own Dr. to receive copies of my tests, which he will do without charge. He knows I am competent to figure out my own dosage, and it will be no big deal if I stay in range. For some reason, staying in range is easy for me.

The bottom line is I don't have to deal with Philips-and this is so much cheaper that I am not even sure it will be worth the bother to have my insurance company contribute towards the strips. I am a person who loves his independence, and owning my own meter and buying my own strips is like getting out from underneath someone's thumb.

If you have had your meter for a long time, you may be in similar circumstances.

If you have had your meter for a long time, you may be in similar circumstances.

Hi Dennis, I had a similar service problem with Alere. Finally called them, a couple months ago, to return meter and cancel program. They DID NOT make me purchase offer and sent me a return box for the meter. Some guys have all the luck:thumbup:. My meter was almost new because they recalled my original meter and sent me a new replacement last fall. Maybe mine was new enough that they would use it for another program patient.

I have decided to return to my docs office for testing.

Dennis, I had similar problems with Philips. They changed the billing and billed me $258 per MONTH, which I had to pay because of my high deductible. I'd already spent over $1000 paying Raytel $50/month for nearly 2 years. I was so P.O'd at Philips billing that I cancelled, sent their meter back, and bought my own machine for $750 elswhere. My cardio is just fine with it. I still wound up paying Philips some $800 more in disputed fees.

But I never asked Philips for a price to buy the machine I had. They were do difficult to deal with, I just cut my losses and walked away.

Dennis:

I've approached this from a somewhat different direction. I had little money, no insurance, and a history of many years of very stable INRS (or, at least, I THOUGHT they were stable). I knew that I should be testing more frequently than I had been, but I had no doctor and no money for lab tests. I was fortunate to have a large supply of coumadin samples, and when I finally ran out, I was able to get warfarin from India. (I am now able to get it by prescription at a local market pharmacy).

I had been wanting to self-test for many years, and frequently watched the pricing on eBay, hoping that some day they would become affordable. In 2009, they finally did. My guess was that the first generation meters were replaced with newer models, and these original workhorses were sold off to second tier companies. My first meters were the original ProTime meters. I had a doctor friend order the strips, which cost about $5 each. Since then, I 'upgraded' to a ProTime 3 from a medical supply company (I think I paid about $50 or so for this one). I was fortunate recently to get a good price on an original InRatio. I was also very fortunate to get a great price on strips.

My point is that it's possible - and not always a major risk - to buy meters from a source other than a first level (direct from manufacturer) source - although this forum does not endorse this type of purchasing. In a post by another person on this forum, it was noted that Medicare covers testing, but they may take back (and reassign) meters once the patient dies or no longer needs it - so these may also be available.

Dick -- apparently Philips was in a position to offer to sell the meter and strips. Alere, apparently, doesn't want to. Alere - in case you weren't aware - now manufactures and sells the InRatio meters - perhaps they would have wanted to sell you an InRatio.

For me, being able to own my own meter, to run tests as regularly as I feel necessary (currently, I'm doing it weekly), and to manage my INR may have been a life saver. For those of us who don't have the financial means or insurance coverage to afford a new meter or an arrangement with Alere or Philips, there ARE alternatives.

Laurie---I am sure I am destined for some battles. Their bills have never masde sense. I am presently holding a bill that says $175.00 or so is over 90 days past due, and I have no idea what they are talking about. That same bill shows a zero balance for 30 and then 60 days past due. After a moments discussion about that, they told me there were fees from 2009 that they haven't yet sent! They will deal with me in court before I pay bills they have sat on for two years without sending them to me. This is so bizare that I have completely lost faith in the company.

Ownership

Ownership

I never ever considered using a service like Phillips. Outright purchase was simply too easy.

The rental and consultation service undoubtedly serves many people well. It wasn't a good fit for me. I didn't see how it would save me any money, but then, I had really lousy insurance.

-Philip

when having my doctor fill out my application, or whatever it was, for my inratio, there was a check box for it to be a purchase or lease. I made sure that the purchase box was checked. This has been an interesting journey for me because if I go to the pharacy for warfarin and mention I own my machine they are suprised. My cardio keeps forgetting I own it and tries to keep me on the lease testing schedule.

I really like owning my own machine!

I agree it is great to own the machine. When I first read your post, it bugged me that I was not given the option to purchase when I started testing about six years ago. However, I console myself with the thought that my insurance company made the lease payments until the value of the machine dropped to $100.00.

Dennis:

Two things: 1) What kind of machine are you using? 2) You're still getting accurate (or consistent) readings on that old meter, aren't you?

----

My guess is that you probably have an original ProTime meter (the price of these have dropped over the years). Your supplies are still available and results are still probably quite accurate.

It's interesting to consider that if you were testing twice a month for six years, that's a total of about 168 tests over the current lifetime of the meter -- or about what an active anticoagulation clinic would probably do in a week or two. (Which makes your 'old' meter 'newer' than the new ones at most doctor offices or clinics).

Latest posts

Back