I cut myself today - thread

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pellicle

Professional Dingbat, Guru and Merkintologist
Hi

I thought it may be nice to have a thread where folk on warfarin can comment about cuts (scrapes or bashes) and note the outcomes. My goal is to show people who are not yet on AC therapy that you don't bleed out.

Yesterday I was fitting a new car stereo and had my arm in behind the dash trying to pull out the plug providing the wiring to the center console on my Pajero. I noticed that things were feeling wet in there and I thought "bloody hell, whats wet down here".

Turns out I'd scratched myself on one of the protruding metal bits in there and it was blood running down my arm onto my palm and making things wet and sticky.

So I took my self into the kitchen, washed the arm clean in the sink and applied a kitchen paper towel to my cut with a small amount of pressure and sat down to wait.

It seemed that after about 5 minutes (the scratch was long but not deep) it stopped bleeding and so I left it 'open to the air' for a few more minutes so as to not stir up the surface to give it time to form a decent clot.

Within 5 minutes more I was back working on the stereo (which is now fitted and works great).

I'm over 50 now and I was reminded of working with my dad when he was in his early 50's and would regularly have the same thing occur (usually working on the boat). He was never on warfarin.

So, no problems.

I agree with you - the risk of a cut bleeding out due to warfarin is much more negative hype and misperception.

The average body has 4-5 liters of blood in it. If someone is worried about bleeding out due to warfarin, it would have to be one hell of a cut! :)...and at that stage, if it was that serious a cut/injury, warfarin may not have made things much worse. I have had a few typical type cuts/scrapes since OHS and warfarin. If anything, it takes every so slightly longer to stop bleeding on some occasions, but certainly not much. A band aid here and there and its good to go. And after a home INR test I never need a band aid (granted its a small needle poke, but it stops bleeding almost immediately after I get my drop).

To me, based on personal experience, its internal bleeds that are the ones to watch. The external stuff is much more addressable and easier to gauge.

Tony

Latest posts

Back