How much??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kevin21

How much does coumadin or warfin cost?? I know to ask my insurance if they have a co-pay for it but does anyone pay for it themselves???

Gracias!!!

I'm using 5mg Warfarin Tablets from Barr Pharmaceutical.
60 tablets, if I had no insurance would run me $25.31.
Hey, I hope I didn't offend you in your other thread. I'm just trying to get you to relax. I know it's not easy. Been there twice!

From Drugstore.com:

Coumadin
tablets
5MG $20.99-30 tablets $57.06-90 tablets

Generic Warfarin Sodium
tablets
5MG $13.37-30tablets $34.39-90 tablets

Last edited:
Kevin:
If you have insurance the medication should be covered. Coumadin, which is the brand name costs $57.80 for 90, and Warfarin, which is the generic costs $31.84, at our pharmacy. (both are for 5mg). This will give you an idea. Prices vary according to the strength of the medication, number purchased, location purchased, etc. People who do not have insurance must pay the cost themselves because Coumadin/Warfarin is not an option for those who have valve surgery. Your doctor will decide whether you will take Coumadin or Warfarin. Some doctors have a strong preference for one or the other. Hope this helps.

On the most popular insurance around here the brand Coumadin cost $60 co-pay per month and the generic $20. So most people convinced their doctor to switch. We did not notice any more problems than usual.

most of the people here said it best.. but i thought i'd throw my 2cents in.. without my insurance i'd be paying around $30/month for warfarin.. but since it's generic.. my co-pay is only $2/month

christine

it's a PPO thru work.. I guess i've been lucky.. even at my previous employer I had low co-pays on meds.. and office visits.. as long as their a member in the network (and most around here are) I pay $10 per office visit and $2 on generic meds and $7 on name brand.. but I understand not all are that good. my boyfriend for example has crappy insurance.. it's also a PPO but he needs to spend $1000 per year out of pocket for doctor visits that are not routine before he's covered on the rest (then he'll get a $500 refund) plus his scripts are costly too.. they also paid my protime in full.. what they don't pay in salaries I guess they make for in insurance... :)

christine

$60 / month for Coumadin???

Mine is only $27/month for my 5mg. tablets.

I have a Cigna HMO med plan through work and my prescription co-pay is $5/month for either name brand or generic. I can get a further discount if I order a 90-day supply through Cigna's mailorder plan (I've been reluctant to do so just in case my doseage would change significantly.)

Mark

yea, those mail order script plans are great... but they wouldn't do it because of the possible script change.. my generics would be at no cost to me if i could get the 3 month supply script..

chris

Kevin:
The cost of medications vary by area. They may cost more in Texas than in Arizona. I can walk into the local pharmacy in our Frys grocery store and get a 90 day supply of 5mg Coumadin for $57.80, and the same dose and amount of warfarin is $31.84.
Those would be the costs if we paid out-of-pocket. We go through our insurance and the cost is $30 for 90 days Coumadin or $15 for 90 days warfarin.

If you want to know what you would pay, call a local pharmacy and ask them. That's just what I did when I first posted to you.
You can also check with your insurance.

Christine

Christine

Where do you work? And are they hiring? :D My hubby is in need of a job.... And I'l LOVE a $2 co-pay. All my meds together are well over $100 a month. It's difficult, but I don't really have much choice...

Latest posts

Back