How many ounces of beer equals a 3.0 mg....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

LA_Cruiser

.....coumadin tablet.

--just wondering if an alcoholic needs to take ANY coumadin at all.

I was told by coumadin lab that I SHOULD NOT 'continue' my three-beers-a-week' binge (one 16 oz. can every other day). That alcohol 'thins' the blood.

Oh well.

God Bless all

Hi Cruiser,

There are many things that act as blood thinners, Tylanol, Vit "E", and yes....beer/alcohol. As long as you maintain a consistant or fairly consistant diet, your Coumadin will be adjusted to accommodate your life style. I have a few beers every day, and on the weekends, I may even have a few more depending on the occation. I have not had any problems.

My doctor even told me, if you are going to drink a few beers, then do it consistantly.

Happy New Year! (burp)

Rob

I asked a medical person just weeks after my surgery a year ago, and she said that one beer (12 oz) equals 1/4 mg coumadin. That was off the top of her head, and may not be completely accurate, but it answered my question at the time: Should I order another?
My INR was high when I tested this past Friday, and it dawned on me this morning that it was probably garlic that did it. My kids have been home, and they cook with a lot of the stuff.

THX JimL, .......now let's see.........one beer equals

THX JimL, .......now let's see.........one beer equals

.25mg.

X=3.0 x .25

3.0 / .25=12

A twelve pack!

TOO MUCH BEER!

JimL, woud you happen to know what 400 I.U.s of vitamin E equal coumadin-wise?

I'm taking 400 I.U.s of vitamin E daily.

Would you know of a book or something that has a chart with all these equivalents?

THX JimL & God Bless All!

Marco

Marco

Glad to see you taking an interest in your coumadin. First..Vit. E is debateable on this issue..I have a friend who took Vit. E...had a SEVERE nosebleed..fainted and was taken by ambulance to ER. Doctor said cause was don't mix Vit. E and Coumadin..now, we have some members who take it and doesn't seem to bother their INR......If you want a beer. drink one or 2. What was your last INR ??Remember it takes up to 2 months to get in range. Don't let it drive you nuts. You are not going to bleed to death or have a stroke as long as you are getting tested every week or 2 weeks. I cannot remember your surgery date off hand..but do you have the taste for beer back? :p :p :p I didn't for several months...but do now:D And don't be so down on people that smoke. It's a hard habit to break and I know a lot of other worse addictions. My hubby is age 72, handsome, works like a 40 year old..cutting firewood, ect. and has smoked a pipe as long as I've known him. 42 years. Married 37 of those.:) Youjust worry about yourself for now...and keep asking questions. That's what we are here for to help one another....Bonnie

P.S.

P.S.

And I do love a good off-colored joke..Not filthy..Just cute and a little bit ???..and this from a genteel Southern Lady.;) ;) Granbonnie ( I sign Granbonnie cause I'm a very proud Granny. Dalton is now almost 3 weeks..and Kameron is age 10.)

Congratulations GranBonnie, and God Bless your grandchildren!

Congratulations GranBonnie, and God Bless your grandchildren!

And don't be so down on people that smoke. It's a hard habit to break and I know a lot of other worse addictions.

GranBonnie, those filthy NARCO-associated (yes they've been 'connected' to the drug lords and underground crime, they were probably 'thrusted' upon us by the 'commies' to 'destroy' part of our society!) bastards have my two sons 'by the trough.?

If I knew I had a 'terminal' illness and I only had a few days/weeks to live, I'd 'take' at least one of them bastards with me! Look at all the innocent children that could be ?saved? from these bastards ?IF ONLY.?

Edward James Olmos, one of my heroes because of his statement, proclaimed: "I'd rather let my children die of hunger then feed them with drug money."

It's THEM or US.

God Bless all

NARCO???

NARCO???

What does this stand for?:confused: :confused: :confused: Are we talking about smoking tobacco or smoking Marajuana (weed) By the way, my 2 grandson's Daddy (My son..my Baby) has been in Law enforcement since he was age 20.. Headed the Red Dogs. Rid Every Drug Dealer Out of Georgia Soon..Taught the Dare Program, ect....He has put his life on the line many times...but has never said anything about his Dad smoking a pipe.:) Granbonny

Bonnie, angel............

Bonnie, angel............

...NARCOS are 'drug lords' NOT having anything to do with cigs or smoking though statistics show that more drug users 'graduate' from smokers then from non-smokers. That's a good reason to keep our young ones from 'starting.'

God Bless All!

Last edited:
I don't know about vitamin E, but I'd be careful.
My coumadin nurse told me months ago that if a normal person not on coumadin took lots of vitamin E and garlic, they could get their INR over 1.0.

Hi,

I have taken 400 iu of Vit "E" everyday since my surgery almost 3 years ago without any problems.

Again, as long as your diet is consistant, your medication, (Coumadin), will be adjusted to suit your lifestyle. You can live a pretty active and normal life while on Coumadin.

Happy New Year!

Rob

I have no business, perhaps, responding to anything about coumadin , but, butts and beer?? uh-huh, oh yeah!

I've seen a list of addictive drugs #1 was nicotine,#2 was crack, bottom of the list was marjuana. When I stopped smoking it was cold turkey,16 years ago. I told myself that I would eat, drink, and do any thing I desired to do except smoke. It worked, but it was a tough year for my wife.

beer, I drink 2 and sometimes 3, 6-packs in a week.( more,3), is summer-time stuff, cookouts, partys, visiting etc., guess summer time makes the volume creep up.

Hey L.A. 3 beers? If it was me I wouldn't bother, i'd cut it out rather than deal with it.
My 2 B,s worth:D:D

Cruiser:
You are courting disaster. There is no chart of equivalence for vitamins, beers, food or anything and coumadin/warfarin. It appears to me that you are attempting to find a way of manipulating your prothrombin time (anticoagulation) by substituting something for coumadin. That just isn't possible. I doubt that it is true that one beer equals 0.25 coumadin consistently for all people. We have people here who take 2.0 per day and others who need 19.0. Now the dose you need is 3.0. Previously it was 2.5. Next week it could be more or less.
What you need to do, and the only sensible and prudent thing is:
1. Take the prescribed dose daily at the same time each day, 2. Have your blood tested regularily, and 3. regulate your diet and alcohol consumption. If you keep trying to screw around with this, you will, as our resident expert on anticoagulation management, Al Lodwick said, wind up dead within one year or worse.

Your foolish actions could cause you a stroke, and believe me as the spouse of someone who had a stroke because of anticoagulation problems, you do not want that. My husband was hospitalized for more than three weeks. When admitted, he could not walk, talk, speak, or control his bodily functions. His left eye drooped and he drooled constantly. The only way he could comunicate was to cry. Because of a medical procedure, he nearly bled to death. He was in intensive care in two different hospitals. Do you really want to go through such anguish and do you want to put your loved ones through such pain? There are alot of people who have had disasterous experiences, through no fault of their own, because of anticoagulation problems. One of our members here, Christina, had to have a second valve-replacement surgery within weeks of the first because of problems just like the ones that you are likely to cause yourself.

Wise up! What you need to be doing is learning all you can about Coumadin, the drug that will keep you alive, if you let it.
Check out Al Lodwick's site, www.warfarinfo.com
I'll pray for you. TAKE YOUR COUMADIN!
Blanche

What, no Garlic?

What, no Garlic?

First time poster to this site. I'm looking at an Aortic Valve replacement in the very near future, and am trying to decide whether the downside of Coumadin outweighs the lifespan of mech valves. Now I hear in this thread that I have to give up garlic? I had heard about alcohol, which shouldn't be a big deal, but garlic may be a problem for me...

You need not give upo anything

You need not give upo anything

Swill:
You need not give up garlic. Consistency is the key. Please check out the whole board, and all the threads. There are many more things that you need to consider in your decision. Post on Heart Talk, Small Talk, and Coumadin. Ask questions, and read the posts that are already up. My husband has been on coumadin for 12 years, and we have been married for 40 years. If I stopped using garlic when he had his mitral valve replaced with a mechanical St Judes, I suspect that we might have divorced after 29 year of marriage. Good luck to you.

Hi Swill-

Welcome to this fantastic site. You'll love your little valve home here.

My husband has been on Coumadin for 25 years, he loves garlic and onions. His INR and the use of Coumadin are the least problematic things that he does medically.

Good luck and hope to see you here often.

I grow my own (GARLIC!) .... right next to my onions. :) Ever notice how well garlic and beer go together? :p

Happily clicking away with my mechanical valve.

INR

INR

Went on a trip last week..Came home tired..Drank 3-4 beers:p :p Took my INR.. 2.7:D :D Today..Beer, garlic, onions, and sub freezing temps..2 degrees here in Ga. Friday a.m.:eek: :eek: :eek: Bonnie P.S. On this beer thing:confused: my last INR 2 weeks ago was 3.4..so My 4 beers (suppose to be 1 extra coumadin brought mine down..not up..:confused: :confused: :confused: Bonnie

Latest posts

Back