How long have home monitors been in use?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lance

This is a request for information about home monitoring with either Pro-Time or Coagucheck monitors.

These monitors were approved for use in Canada in 2002. A physician must give his approval prior to use otherwise you can't buy one. My PCP is not in favour of them.

So how long have they been used in USA and other countries that you know of and has anyone had a negative experience with them.

On a Canadian cardiac web-site one user of 6 months replied. He's very happy, but his PCP will only allow him to test while his INR within the prescribed range.

Protime user.

Protime user.

Hi Lance,

I'm not exactly sure how long these machines have been in use but I personally have been home testing for almost 4 years and I couldn't be happier with the product. I don't go to labs at all anymore. So far so good. (knock on wood)
I test once a week/once every two weeks depending on the numbers.
I haven't had many problems so far. I've had my problems with doctors though, and yes, I've had to actually fire a couple. They were such jerks!
I choose to participate in my health care, and most doctor's/nurses don't know how to monitor INR levels, so you better get educated and do the job yourself.
Don't worry about your PCP, fire him if necessary and find a supportive doctor. This machine will change your life and give you freedom. You can test anywhere and take it with you wherever you chose. These units are small and portable.
I believe home testing is the future for Coumadin patients and I believe these machines save lives. We must obligate ourselves to spread the word, so more doctors become aware that these machines are availabe and that they work.
Are you going to allow your doctor to dictate to you to self test or not? This is your body, your life and you have the right to participate in your own healthcare.
Take care. :) :)

I'm not sure either. Germany has been the leader in the game well before it was introduced into the U.S. I'm still looking for the answer.

I think the first German started using a home monitor 15 years ago. In the UK, the first home tester is approaching her 10 year anniversary this year.
Had a very weird letter from Jim's GP this week advising him "while in this locality" to stop trying to change to home-testing, although it's obvious that in his case the results tally with those of the hospital. Apparently because not everybody's do, he can't switch to home testing. Oh well, he's going to try and see the GP in question tomorrow as this isn't what the haematologist told him - said it was down to the GP to refer him for home-testing :confused: :confused: . Now he's on 12-weekly intervals from the hospital (the norm in the UK if you're in range) but will just have to go for another test earlier if he finds using the coaguchek that he's out of range. What a waste of time :mad: .
Anyway, looks like the only place we'll be able to afford a house is in a different "locality" anyway so hopefully our new GP when we get around to buying a house will be a little more amenable to the 21st century.
Still confused as it was such a bizarre letter!!!
Gemma.

Fda Approval

Fda Approval

The ProTime Microcoagulation System and the Coaguchek have been FDA approved for home use since 1997. Thanks!

QAS Lance

Latest posts

Back