Home page

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I lost a friend from Purdue in Nam and have seen his name on the wall in DC- a very powerful experience to walk along the wall. I have two more friends that made it home: a demolition expert who made it, but with a lot of problems. and an orthopedic surgeon who practiced in Nam- he too was affected, but not quite as much. You think I don't support our troops and think about them every day ? I hope they all come home soon and live a happy life, and that we make a positive contribution to the middle east (guarded optimism) Chris

Holy cow (as a deceased broadcaster used to exclaim)! I had no idea my question would spurn so many responses...LOL!

I must say....I find it so ironic when protests against war turn violent....

You all wrote yer thoughts so well....I think you basically spoke for me ;)

See how we are? When we are given a subject, we jump on it like red ants on a bug - or ugly on ape. Take your pick.

Speaking of broadcasters, does anyone recall who said:

Good evening, Mr and Mrs America, and all the ships at sea.

or another:

There's good news tonight.

Threads

Threads

But most of all threads (after a few days) disappear like the dew on the grass on a hot summer day.. Heard that one, Ann :p

"Good evening Mr. & Mrs America . . ." was Walter Winchell.

Don't know the other.

Georgia

I remember when I was in 8th grade, during the first war against Iraq, there was this huge citywide school walkout, and they didn't really even know what the whole war was about. They did it because they thought it was cool. I also remember when the riots broke out because of the WTO was meeting in Seattle. THAT upset me, because Seattle is a beauriful city, but these people, who weren't there to protest, decided to destroy our city. Nobody has any right to destroy stuff when they protest. Nor do they have the right to hold up traffic. That is the wrong type of protest. I think people just do that crap because they don't really know why they are against the event(war, wto, etc...) they are just going with what they think is popular. I think that was why the riots broke out in seattle at least. REALLY made me MAD! I fully support our troops, and although I don't necessarily like the fact that we are in Iraq for the second time, I believe it is what we have to do to get saddaam out of power.

Anyhow, I am looking for a good picture of Kevin in uniform, if I can't find one, I am going to take a pic of him with his guys, and post it. Take it easy!

A belated note to Chris Crawford -- The Wall. . . Been there, couldn't speak for an hour or so afterward. One of the MOST moving experiences of my life.

Most sincere thanks to all whose names are there, and all those who serve and support us.

Steve and Chris - I recall my first trip to D.C. - I thought I could feel the spirits of them all around - from the first governing group, to the vets, Lincoln, Kennedy..................a most awesome experience. First trip there was the morning after Johnson's first night spent in the White House and early on that Sunday morning he walked out the front door of the White House. Suddenly from the blades of grass appeared secret service men - they were everywhere. My girls, my husband and I were the only visitors outside the fence. Pres. Johnson waved to my girls, then we walked behind his group to his church. One of the ss men droppd behind us to keep his eye on us. And wow, could Johnson walk fast. We had gone there to visit Arlington and Kennedy's grave.

Washington is an awesome place to visit and if y'all get an opportunity, please go. You will never forget it.

The wall was not there when we lived in that area so I haven't seen it but I have heard the same words you have said.

Back