Hi, new here...MVP with thickening question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

luvwinnie

hi, I'm waiting to hear back from my cardio to get some questions answered...in the meantime would like to hear if anyone else had a MVP for many years with no change and then had thickening. I do NOT have rugurgitation, however...not yet at least. I am 34 and was dx at about 13. Last week's echo showed some valve thickening. In AUg. I was dx with a lupus-like connective tissue disease, so I'm wondering it this has affected the valve.

Thanks for listening.

Your ?

Your ?

It very well may have. There is conective tissues through out our bodies. Many area such as the heart, lungs, joints are particularly vunerable. How long before he said to return for a follow up? You and he will want to keep an eye on it, and your lupis.

I am waiting to hear back from him...

I am waiting to hear back from him...

but I generally get an echo every 2-3 years. I have to see if he wants me to be seen more now. Thank you!

I guess there is

I guess there is

no way to predict if the valve will continue thickening? ANyone know of any stats on this? Thanks.

LUPUS EFFECT ON MITRAL VALVE ?

LUPUS EFFECT ON MITRAL VALVE ?

Luvwinnie, As far as I know lupus does not effect the heart valves. It may cause pericarditis or in rare cases effect the coronary arteries. I don't believe the "thickening" is related to lupus. I had mitral valve prolapse diagnosed when quite young but served in WW11 and Korea. I did not develop severe regurgitation till age 72 when I had a replacement with a mechanical St. Jude. I am now 76 and feel fine. The time for operation is based on severity of regurgitation, ejection fraction, and the dilitation of the left atrium.....not "thickening".

Hi,

Lupus is an autoimmune disorder. I have rheumatoid arthritis, which is also autoimmune. There are many many autoimmune disorders. Marfarns is another one that effects the heart.

In an autoimmune disorder connective tissue and vital organs can be involved. Autoimmune is genetic and can be passed from one generation to the next. But, usually coming out in different disease form. We just found out my father is Autoimmune, he has polymyalgia rehumatica and Parkinson's. The gene he passed on to myself was the rheumatoid in autoimmune form. He also has MVP with reguirg. We are starting to wonder if my valve disease was/is autoimmune related.

More than you wanted to know I am sure. Tricky stuff. I am sure you are seeing rheumatoligist for your Lupus?

I don't have actual lupus...

I don't have actual lupus...

Dr calls it "lupus LIKE" ...Undifferentiated Connective TIssue Disease...many symptoms of lupus but not enough for a firm diagnosis. Yes, I see a rheumy in NYC. Thank you all for your responses.

I wish I had a board like this in 1997 when my mom had her aortic valve replaced.

Back