Hi all here's an update,

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tnboomer1013

On July 17th I was prepped for surgery at 7:30am after 10 hours on the table at about 6:30pm I awoke to find I had a terrible ticking in my chest. Yes I had a mechanical valve, the doc said that because something was in too bad of shape the Ross Pro. was not a viable option. He said that he would have had to cut up the left side of my heart too much. At least that is what I remember hearing. So I now have an internal eternal clock. With the mech.valve he said he did some work on another valve and two bypasses to fix the birth defects. I recommend the Doctors at V.U. but not the hospital. After six days I was finally paroled and it sure was nice to be home. My wife and I would like to thank you all for all the good thoughts and paryers. I know this has been a long time in coming but I just havn't felt like even turning on the pc. I have begun to sleep in bed, and one good thing well besides the obvious I have lost 25 lbs. But I for one would sure not recommend open heart surgery for a wieght loss treatment. It is amazing how something like this can have a profound effect on one's life. The med's, no pork :(, no fried fish, peeling the skin off the chicken, extra exercise( good thing ) and we have completely thrown out the salt. Ah yes lest we forget the life long coumadin tablets. Again thank you all for the thoughts and prayers. First post-op visit next week so more updates to come.

~j~ ~j~ BOOMER

Great news, Boomer. Sounds like you're doing really well. Isn't it wonderful to have it all behind you.

Hi Boomer-

Congratulations! You're in the "other side club". What an initiation!

Sounds like things are coming along just fine and I'm so glad for you.

Keep up the good work.

Happy to hear everything went well aside from the disappointment of them not being able to fulfill the Ross procedure.

The great thing is that now it is unlikely you'll have to have another surgery.

Sounds like your recovering really well.
Take good care and don't overdo it.
Kev

Hi Boomer,

Glad to see your post. Hope you are starting to feel better everyday. As for the ticking, you will get used to it, and soon wont even realize that it is ckick'n and a tick'n, unless you concentrate on it.

Are you thinking of coming to Nashville for the get-together?

Also, let me know if you are heading back to Vandy for any followups... if I am in town, we could meet and have lunch.

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery,

Rob

Well, hey there, Boomer. It is so good to hear your voice and know you are comin along. Know about those fried things, etc as I gotta do them too and ain't it a shame - But as you go along, you learn how to handle it. Try the tofu section of the store, usually in the veggie dept. Stuff ain't so bad. Veggie burgers can be dressed up, tofu can be added to many things and they pick up the exact taste of the things they are added to. I make a dandy chicken salad by adding it to the chicken and the other ingreds.

Glad you are on the mend and back in your own bed. Don't let that surprise sneeze get you! God bless and welcome home:)

Hey Boomer,

So nice to have you with us and on the other side. Sorry to hear that you couldn't get the RP, but a mechanical isn't too bad either. Coumadin isn't too bad either once it is stabilized.
You have terrible ticking? What brand did they implant?
I have a St. Jude's mechanical, and I don't even hear the ticking (it sounds just like an ordenary heart beat), unless I am going to sleep and am on my left side, and there are NO other noises in the room.
Anyway, be well my friend. You'll do fine. Give yourself time to recuperate, and let yourselves be spoiled a bit.
Good wished come your way.

Christina:eek:
St.Jude's mechanical
Coumadin

click, click, click

click, click, click

Boomer -

Glad to hear you are recovering after your lengthy surgery.
Take time to relax and get better at your own pace.

I did not hear the ticking til day 2 after I was moved from ICU.
No one prepared me and I was asking the nurse "What is that sound?". Oh thats your valve - thanks for the upfront info guys.
Twelve years ago I didn't ask nearly as many questions as I do now.

You will get used to the sounds and sometimes it can be reassuring to hear.

Tammy

Back