herbal teas

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lynne S

Hi again, I'm back for more information.
Is anyone using or tried using Sunrider products? They are herbal teas and some other food products. I tried some of the tea last night and it was really good. There are a series of 3 types of tea products that you can drink daily that are supposed to be very healing and give you energy etc. I am planning to try them but am concerned about coumadin interactions. I plan to contact my Dr. and have some more frequent protimes done as I start to take this stuff but I'm interested if any of you drink various herbal teas regularly. Thanks for any info.
Best,
Lynne

Re: Coumadin and herbals

Teas, green teas in particular have Vitamin K in them, some of the herbals are a no-no also. Be careful. See if Al Lodwick's site has any information on it.

A listing I have shows green tea containing four times as much Vitamin K as does spinach, for example. The listing remains confusing to me:
Tea, Green, leaves (dry) 1428
Tea, Green, leaves, brewed 0.03
The information, according to the list, comes from two different sources. There is certainly reason to be very careful about tea and especially green tea.

To Lynn, Nancy & Jim,

My experience has been that green tea is no problem unless you are chewing and eating the leaves. I drink it a lot, and it hasn't affected my INR.
Just putting in my two cents.

Christina
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
TMC, Tucson. AZ.
Dr. Gulshan Sethi
Mechanical valve.

Some time ago I did a search on herbal products and herbal teas. I didn't find much, but did make the following list: Coenzyme Q10, Ginko biloba, Ginger, Garlic, feverfew, dong quai (contains vasodilating coumarin derivatives), coumerin, quinine, and teas with chamomile, ginseng, tonka beans, melilot (sweet clover), or sweet woodruff...all interact with Coumadin. I did not make note of the sources or references. Perhaps you could use these should you wish to do your own search.

I have found that the doctors we have know very little, if anything, about herbs. Perhaps a naturalistic practitioner could be helpful.

Hi Lynn!
Have been drinking herbal teas for 2 years now & no problem. As Christina said, you would have to eat the tea leaves of green tea ro get a reaction. I ask my pharmacists at my anti-coagulation clinic about this and he has no problem wth it. In the summer time I make herbal iced teas all the time and love them!

Thanks for the feedback. I feel more confident about drinking the teas. I am enjoying them through the weekend & hving a protime done on Monday to make sure there is no problem. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back