Hello

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jamjude

I am new to this forum. I'm facing surgery on my aortic valve within the next few weeks.
I don't wish to hear my heart clanking with the metal valve, mainly because I have a panic
disorder as well. I'm very active, always have been, so having to slow down a tad is driving
me nuts! I have a great since of humor, even had my serious minded Dr laughing! He doesn't
push the metal valve, I guess what I'm asking here is for some input on different tissue valves.
Success stories, etc.

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Valve choice is something to think about and discuss with your surgeon. There is no wrong choice. The only wrong choice is to do nothing about your situation.

Those of us with mechanical valves really don't hear them. I only heard mine right after surgery and last week during the blackout in the dead silence of night. You actually get used to it and it doesn't bother you anymore. The only drawback is being on Coumadin for life. You need to get your blood checked regularly to make sure your in the desired range and keep clots from forming. Mechanical Valves should last you your lifetime.

Tissue valves are nice but they don't last as long (12 to 20 years).
Usually no anticoagulant is necessary, but another operation is in the picture down the road.

What it boils down to is, how many times can you cope with surgery. Each one gets more and more difficult to have.

So how active are we? Having a mechanical doesn't change much of anything except that you have to watch for stuff that may make you bleed.

You may want to read some of the personal stories below
http://www.valvereplacement.com/stories/index.html

Also you might want to just start reading in the valve selection forum and slowly digest everything. It can be overwhelming to try to jam your head full in one setting.

Welcome again. :)

Hi JamDude

Hi JamDude

Hi JamDude,

Just wanted to let you know that I am pretty much in the same boat as you are, with the uncertainy of what is coming. I want to let you know that I feel like a walking time bomb, and until I signed up (very recently) with this forum, my anxiety and panic disorder was horrible. The people who contribute to this forum have been Very Very Kind And Supportive You have hooked up to the right place. Take Care, and let me know how you made out as I am too waiting....Harrybaby:D :D :D

Clank?

Clank?

Welcome!

Maybe I can help a little bit with your concern over the noise. First, imagine more of a very delicate ticking sound like a non-quartz watch would make. That's what you *may* hear once you get a mechanical valve. Also, many (most?) of the current mechanical valves aren't metal at all...they're made from exotic composite materials.

I have two mechanical valves that some medical professionals have called "noisy" and I hardly ever hear them.

You are right to find out all you can about your valve options. It's an individual choice in most cases (I had other factors that prevented any other options) that you should discuss with your doctor. What was right for me may not be right for you, your mileage may vary, etc.

Welcome aboard and ask away - you'll certainly get lots of input from the folks here.

Thank you all.

Thank you all.

Thanks very much for the info. This forum seems to be full of very nice concerned people. I am going to have the operation. To do nothing would be a big mistake. If I pride myself on but one thing, it's my never ending stubborn Irish will! Never give up. ((Hugs)) To all. :)

Welcome!!

Welcome!!

Hi!

You have come to the right place to find answers to just about any question you might thing of. This group really help me prior and post surgery, as a matter of fact I am still learning from everyone here.

I had my mechanical valve "INSTALLED" on 5/5/03. I am thrilled that I "may" never had to have OHS again. The coumadin is not that big a deal. Its just consistency with the Vitamin K and getting stuck either finger or vein draw. I hated needles prior to surgery, now its just something that has to be done. I hardly feel the draws now, the finger sticks really bug me(hurt) more.

I did not hear the ticking very much in the hospital but I sure heard it when I first got home!! I thought it was going to drive me crazy, certain noises really bother me. :D Now I only hear it when it's really quite or when I really listen for it. I have had a few people tell me it's loud but I don't really hear it.

Again welcome,

Hi Nadine

Hi Nadine

Thanks for the reply. I have never feared needles, good thing huh? However I'm dreading the needle that shoots dye into my heart! :) That will be done Fri. Aug 29th. Trouble is I have to be there at 7 AM. I don't become a human until at least 10 AM! The Dr's are covering all bases, including checking the rest of my valves, veins, etc. Again Thanks for the kind reply. Tc. :eek:

They prefer you to not be too human when doing the cath. You'll be fine. You'll be very relaxed. Some people even find it interesting to watch the monitor, if they're alert enough.

Best wishes

Harrybaby666

Harrybaby666

Sorry Harry, Missed a reply to you. I wish you luck my friend. You will be in my thoughts, as all here will be. :) And Nancy, I hope I'm out like a light! Watching the heart scan was interesting I have to admit. I dunno bout the watching the other! LOL! I know I have to have it done, thanks for taking away 65% of my fears. :p

Ps hope they use Pink dye! My Fav color! Kidding! Hugs))))) Judy.
Blowing you all a kiss. :D

Cath

Cath

I was petrified of the cath. I watched my mother go through them years ago. Modern medicine has come a long way in the last decade or so.

I told my Dr about this fear and he said no problem will make sure I was calm. He kept his promise! By half way through I even had the courage to watch the monitors and even joke with the Dr. I was watching when the dye went through and it was kinda cool to watch. I was also lucky afterwards, they used a collagen closure of some type and I was able to get up after about 90 mins.

No Problem JamDude...

No Problem JamDude...

Hi Jam,

No problem with missing a reply, as I at times cannot get them all, you just do the best you can.....I hope that you can find some relaxation before you go in, as I have found with my catheterizations (I have had 2) going in with a positive hope for the best really helped me. Also keep in mind that you are doing what you need to do for your body and try to think how much better you will feel after. Don't get me wrong mind you, I get really nervous at OR's, but these two things I just mentioned really help. Take Care, and let me know how you make out. I really want to know how things went. Harrybaby:D :D :D :D

Thanks Harry & Nadine

Thanks Harry & Nadine

Thanks for the good wishes Harry, I will most certainly let you all know how I'm doing. And to Nadine, thanks much from the bottom of my heart. I will let you know if I look at the dye going through . Could get smashed before I go in! Trouble is I don't drink. :) I tried it once and hated it when that DARN! Floor flew up and hit me in the face! Again thank you all. ((( Hugs)) From Indiana! Always, Judy. Ps. This is one of my babies! That is a real Pepsi Can. :p

Heart cath

Heart cath

I was terrified. Told my doc I couldn't lie there in the hospital for two days until it was scheduled - they put me on tranquillizers. Day of cath they gave me ativan (which has always made me nuts - had it with chemotherapy); and put me out for the procedure. I now say that caths are a breeze and nothing to get worked up about. Particularly if your doc knows there's an issue.

Good luck. And btw - your baby is darling.

Hi Jam

Hi Jam

Hi Jam,

You know, I have never really been able to tolerate alcohol, and I figure that was a sign that something was coming down the road....listen to your body...if it tells you, "I don't Think So" it's only trying to protect you...as for the cath, I have been through two, and comparitively speaking to actual surgery, I would much rather have the catheterization....You will do fine.....Harrybaby:D :D :D :D :cool:

Hey Judy

Hey Judy

Just want to Welcome you again. As far as tissue valves I am not a big help as I have a mechanical one, but you can go to www.sjm.com and they have info on all of the valves they have. As for the catheterization, I have been through 7 of them. The first 5 I don't remember much about them, but the last 2 were just fine. The last one was in April of this year. The dye in no big deal, you will feel very warm when it is injected and that is about it. Again Welcome:D

Dave
Heart Center of the Rockies

Hey Judy - I agree, the cath is no big deal. If they use what is called a perclose, then it doesn't take long after the cath before you are up and walking around. Don't drink a lot of coffee that morning in case they don't use a Perclose - It will seem like forever until you can get up to visit the restroom. Chris

Hey Judy,
Ask for a tape of your cath, take it home and plug it into the VCR. Makes for good entertainment if your last vacation was a bore. And nobody will have time to go to sleep...it's real short!

I like your 'tacobell' doggie...:D

Latest posts

Back