Hello

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Victor,

Dr Rhee is in the same practice as my surgeon. I hope it will help if I tell you that one of the things that made the experience easier for us was the superb support from the Nurse Practitioners and PA's of that practice. We only called a few times, but they always got back to us quickly for important questions, and within 2 hours for more general informational ones.
It was getting the original appointment with the surgeon that was the problem--I started to think I was on the scheduler's Do Not Call list...took a month after my initial call.

Debby

njean,

I did enjoy 3D archery but found that walking the course took too much out of me the past year or so. The course at my club is a real killer even with a healthy heart. I am more involved in field archery at the moment. I try to get to 10 or more shoots a year (depending on my honey do list). I had planned on shooting in our two state tournements this year but have been sidelined by my cardiologist. I am not supposed to exert myself until after the surgery. I can see why, I helped my daughter move into her condo at VA Tech and never felt so weak in my life. I still find it hard to understand where all my stamina has gone.

That is precisely "why" I can't participate in 3D any longer either. The doctors don't want me over exerting myself & some of the 3D courses that I used to participate in were more for "mountain goats" than for people!

But don't get discouraged because I'm sure that once you have your surgery & with time you will be able to resume your activities & get back into 3D archery, hunting, fishing, etc.

In regard to Archery -

My dad used to make his own arrows, many years ago. My brother and I would participate in archery competitions with my dad, though obviously in different classes. I wasn't very good but came home with an occasional medal or trophy. But I was trying to think why it might be a problem with ACT. From stringing the bows, which can be pretty rigorous? Otherwise, I would get an occasional scrape down the inside of my left forearm from the feathers as I shot (even with the protector) but that wouldn't really be a problem on ACT, I wouldn't think.

Debby,

THat is good to hear. Thanks.

Fortunatly for me I have had no trouble with appointments. I called yesturday and was have an appointment the 15th, five days after my cath. The people at my cardiologist's office couldn't be nicer. They all seem to bend over backwards to help. The woman that I have spoken with at Dr. Rhee's office in Alexandria couldn't be nicer or more helpful.

I am told that Dr. Rhee's surgical schedule is open for September so I imagine that unless something changes, my surgery will take place close to September 15th.

Susan,

With regard to archery, the problem lies in shooting a compound bow and string deflection. If not in proper position the string can tag your arm or wrist. An arm guard prevents most contact but I don't always wear an arm guard as my form is good and contact is a very rare occurance. That said, on ACT, I will always wear an arm guard. While I don't get hit as a result of improper form, I had a string break and hit me good. This happened over a year and a half ago and the bruise is still visible. At the time, I had a very pretty forearm. Purple, yellow, green, brown :(. I can't imagine what it would have looked like if I was on ACT.

In regard to Archery -

My dad used to make his own arrows, many years ago. My brother and I would participate in archery competitions with my dad, though obviously in different classes. I wasn't very good but came home with an occasional medal or trophy. But I was trying to think why it might be a problem with ACT. From stringing the bows, which can be pretty rigorous? I would get an occasional scrape down the inside of my left forearm from the feathers as I shot (even with the protector) but that wouldn't really be a problem on ACT, I wouldn't think.

In answer to your question Susan, stringing for the most part is done by bow presses because most archers shoot compound bows. There are some die hard traditional shooters out there that still string their own bows but for the most part, bow presses do the work. And as for the welts on your arm from the bowstring, very seldom does this happen because archers use arm guards and if your equipment is properly maintained, you shouldn't be slapping yourself with the bowstring anyway!

(sorry to interject your thread Victor but I'm sure you can relate because you're an archer too!) :);)

Ross,

I don't plan on ceasing the activities, but perhaps modifying my behavior. For example, I don't think that it would be wise to hunt by myself from a tree stand. A fall into a support harness could create serious bruising. If left hanging alone for too long, I might suffer a serios injury. Similarly, going fly fishing deep in the Shennandoah Mtns by myself might not be a good idea.

Don't get me wrong, I recoginize that the risks exist regardless of the coumadin. however, I think that being on blood thinners would perahps add to the risk making it more prudent to have a companion in the event something untoward happens.

My dear friend, if you decide to go that route, once your on it and see what it's really all about, your not going to say this. You'll be out there enjoying your life as you always have. ;):)

Can someone explain to me why they'd fall from a tree stand? My brother did that a couple years back and broke his ankle in a few spots. He keeps telling me he didn't fall asleep, but I got my doubts about that. :D

Ross,

I am sure that alot of what I believe now will change with a greater understanding of anti-coagulation therapy if I do choose that route.

To be honest, there are at least three reasons I can think of for falling from a treestand, both documented through reports I have reviewed through friends involved with hunter education. Falling asleep is a major reason people fall from stands. You get up in the tree at 5 am and you doze off. Alcohol has helped people from their perch and the other reason is that people lean out to try and prune a limb, lean to far and.... well you get the picture.

Getting back to more important matters, at the moment I am really leaning toward mechanical. I don't want to have another surgery in 8-12 years. While I am sure there will be surgical advancements, I simply don't want another operation if I can avoid it. While there exists a possiblity with additional sugery with a mechanical valve, it is a virtual certainty with a pig or homegraph valve.

I am sure I can learn to live on anti-coagulation drugs. As for the valve itself, while I am not sure if I have a choice at the moment, I am looking at the St. Jude valve and the On-x. The St. Jude is old and recognized as the gold standard. The On-x has some interesting design and flow features not to mention the possibility of reducing the INR at some point.

Victor

Hi Victor,

A warm welcome to this great forum! I know that posting my concerns and receiving thoughtful replies from this supportive group has certainly helped reduce my fear and anxiety. Sorry about the circumstances, but know that you are not alone. I am sending my best wishes to you. Good luck!

I agree with Ross.

I agree with Ross.

Victor, I just wanted to interject my 2 cents about ACT. I am only 5 weeks post op so I don't have the years and years of experience that some do. That being said, I am a police officer and I ride a police bicycle on the streets of Atlanta. While the jury is still out about the departments particular problem with ACT, my surgeon said he didn't see ANY reason I couldn't continue to work as a cop. A friend recently completed a physical for another dept and while at the Dr's office, he asked about me. That Dr. said that ANTICOAGULANTS don't make the blood THIN, it just makes it less sticky (for lack of a better word right now) She said that she would pass me in the medical if my doc gave the OK.
Taking all this into account, I asked for the ON-X valve. Yes, St. Jude has been around longer but ON-X is doing a clinical trial now to study lower dose or no dose Coumadin. My target INR is 2.0-2.5. As I understand it, 1.0 is what someone NOT on ACT has. Some valves require an INR of 2.5-3.5. (again, as I understand it) There are several links on the ACT thread about the ON-X valve and why it is better. There are also comments about the valve being SEWN into the Dacron used for the Aortic Root repair by the Surgeon in the OR. Dont let them force you to get a valve you don't want.
Do the research, that helps with the "OH S%*T" :eek: feeling. Ask questions, YOU WILL GET ANSWERS HERE. Just relax!
Oh, BTW, Being only 5 weeks post, I can say that although I don't WANT to go back and have this done again, the recovery isn't NEAR as bad as I had imagined it would be. The tubes and stuff SUCK! But I was WAY out when they went in so I didn't know. Most came out the day after or day 3. My shoulder hurts LOTS more than my chest. I had an INSTANT DIET cuz food also sucked for the first month. And then there is COUGHING! DON"T DO IT! I have yet to do the thing that involves your nose and has a S at the start and an E at the end with a Z in the middle. (I know that was silly but I don't want to ginx my self) That is all I know about the recovery. The whole thing is like a vacation that you are FORCED to relax on. No coming back from the vacation saying you need a vacation

..."And then there is COUGHING! DON"T DO IT! I have yet to do the thing that involves your nose and has a S at the start and an E at the end with a Z in the middle."...

laughed myself silly over that one, thanks for the morning giggle, sheepdog! It's only been a year (almost) for me, and I remember those days well!

Otherwise, a pretty good summary. ACT is not something to fear, people on ACT just take a little more time to stop bleeding than others, but no-one has yet bled to death shaving themselves or cutting vegetables or any of the million things we do in a day that could cause us cuts. I am probably more aware of the fact that I could get an infection in one of those cuts . .

Take a few sensible precautions - don't go out on the bike without a helmet etc., take some bandaids, maybe even some linen handkerchiefs (to apply some extra pressure to cuts) and you should be fine. OH, a cell phone is a real handy thing to have with you - calms the nerves of significant others !

I really appreciate all of the great advice and support. One thing that I realize is that there is much for me to learn. I keep hoping that I will wake up from a bad dream and all of this will have been a nightmare. Perhaps that my shortness of breath and lack of energy is due to spending too much time behind a desk, but the reality is quite different.

I am having trouble getting my mind around the fact that I have no energy and there is little I can do to change that for now. I am so used to being very active, sitting around, clearing my desk at work to get raedy for surgery is un-nerving.

As for valve selection, I want to know all of the options before I see the surgeon. I was told that if I go the mechanical route, that I will likely recieve the St. Judes valve. I am not sure that the ON-x is a option, but will know more when I meet with the surgeon on 9/15. As Sheepdog noted, the ON-x valve has the potential for switching to a lower INR in the future and that, along with the unique design, is very appealing.

Victor

Victor it's your life, so you should request and get any valve you choose. Don't be afraid to speak up to your surgeon about this issue.

Ross,

I understand what you are saying. I will call my surgeon before my visit and inquire about valve options. I contact the manufacatures of the On-x valve and received a great deal of information. I have a lot of reading to do :)

Victor

Latest posts

Back