Hello from VA

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVRjon

Hey all im 36 and just had a tricuspid valve replacement. Got the pig implant. I had endocarditis and i guess it messed my valve up. Im going thru the stages of grief right now because i just cant believe at 36 im going to have a rough road ahead. I dont have heart failure. I just keep reading studies of people with valve replacements only 25% of people who have them survive 20 years. thatll ut me at 56 years old. if im that lucky. its scary because i wanted a long life. I just got out of prison and im homeless. I dont know where to go or what to do. I dont have any family that would help me. I have a sponsor who is letting me stay on his couch, I just dont know where my life went so wrong. Why do valve replacements fail so much? Im just amazed at how quickly life is going. im really depressed. Anyway thanks for the support here.

These irrational fears were well addressed by members in the thread that you initiated a few days ago. Did you take in any of the information that was given regarding your concerns? I'd suggest going back to that thread and read all the responses a couple of times, as well as the links to the literature suggesting that you need not have any anxiety at all about your situation. You are being your own worst enemy right now.

I just got out of prison and im homeless. I dont know where to go or what to do
are you allowed to travel OS?

I'm thinking someone (who is a member here) in Thailand could use a friend right now and may be able to offer you accommodation in exchange for helping him through his post-surgery recovery.

i did read them. i have it set up so every response i get a notification on my phone. i cant help being negative. i know i shouldn't worry about things i have no control over.right now im just going thru depression real bad, it sucks. i will definitely talk to my doctor about all this.

i did read them. i have it set up so every response i get a notification on my phone. i cant help being negative. i know i shouldn't worry about things i have no control over.right now im just going thru depression real bad, it sucks. i will definitely talk to my doctor about all this.
Curious what kind of different responses you would expect by starting a new thread? If anything, continue the discussion on that thread. Engage with the people responding to you. We’re happy to share our experiences. If 75% or more of the patients are over 60, is it any surprise that only 25% are still alive after 20 years?

Someone suggested I start a thread in the introduction section because I'm new. I won't do it again.

Hey mate

Someone suggested I start a thread in the introduction section because I'm new. I won't do it again.
I think what Superman was meaning was to make the introduction just an introduction because you'd already asked the question (and that was also an ongoing thread with replies and all).

So a typical introduction would be something about your medical history (which you provided some of) and any message you may have.

FWIW I started down the road at 10years old and even at 28 was having my second surgery; so from my perspective you got 30 years I didn't. I've never got endo but have had other issues (infection ones).

We are all different, but I tend to try to keep what I write here about the cardiac issues, but have spoken about some of my others in the past. I wrote this post on exactly that sort of things a while back now (2012):

https://www.valvereplacement.org/th...elings-some-may-find-images-disturbing.42314/
I guess the good thing about hanging out with a bunch of heart-valve patients is that we've all either walked this road before or we're able to help people who are struggling with the news.

I wish you well on your journey.

Kind Regards

No worries. Probably as much to do with the way I follow the forums. I don’t look at sub-sections much. I just look at, “What’s New” on my phone. That way anything new is at the top no matter where it’s posted. I’ve never paid much attention to the various sections, unless I have something to start a thread about.

No worries at all. It is actually common for people to post basically the same message on different threads. My concern was not that you posted a similar message in a different thread, it’s just that despite some informed feedback, and some supporting medical literature, it does not seem to have taken the edge off of your anxiety.
It is understandable how coming across a study, which seems to suggest that you won’t live long, would cause anxiety and depression. But, as several of us have noted, you are much younger than the average age of the people in that study. And also, the study, which I uploaded, provide some good data, which should put your mind at ease with respect to the expected longevity of your porcine valve in the tricuspid position. The type of valve you have seems to do very well in the long run for the majority of people.

Above all else, we’re glad that you found us and we’re glad that you’re here. I hope that you take full advantage of the forum and the information and feedback that members have given you. We are here to help. Sometimes that help comes in the form of trying to help stomp out irrational anxieties, which we have probably all encountered at one point or another.

Back