Heart Function

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pat Hicks

I had avr and aortic dacron replacement four months ago, echocardiogram last week. My doctor told me yesterday that prior to surgery my "heart function" (which I assume is EF) was 57% and that now it is 32%. That shocked me. He had placed me on Toprol because of rapid heart rate and has changed that to Coreg which I've taken previously. I am to return in 6 weeks. I am experiencing mostly great fatigue. I walk 3 x a week, but it is difficult. I thought my EF should be better than 32% by now. What have others experienced and what can I expect? Any suggestions or enlightenment would be appreciated.

Hi Joe,

I had an AVR and dacron graft almost 2 years ago. This was due to an ascending aortic dissection. I did not have CHF, or any other heart disease prior to the dissection, so I have not had any issues similar to yours. However, you post does prompt me to ask my doctor about my EF when I see him in 2 weeks. I will also ask him if there should be a change after AVR. If I find anything out, I will be sure to let you know.

Rob

hmmmm......can't add anycomment, except at 32%, you have a right to be fatigued, and have difficulty walking. Hopefully the change in meds will help alot. Best wishes in 6 weeks!

Marybeth

This raises a question I have been waiting to ask my cardiologist. He said at my last visit that my Evacuation Fraction (which I am guessing is the EF) was low. Afterwards I wondered how that is measured? I suspect it is only measured by an echo or a catheterization, in which case the EF would have been low before surgery and when I was in a-fib after surgery. Or can this be measured in some other way?

Hi Jim!

I think you mean "ejection fraction". This has to do with the ventricals filling, and the ejection of blood from the ventricle, I believe.

A normal person without heart disease runs at about 65%.

If a person is in a-fib, they loose between 20-25% of that.

If there are other problems, say valve disease or an arrythmia (atrial or ventricular), then the EF is affected even more. Being in Congestive Heart Failure, etc. also is reflected in the EF.

I think I have this close to right. The lower the EF, the higher the symptoms of CHF.....fatigue, swelling, etc. - Some meds will also affect how a person feels. For example, when first on a beta blocker, most people initially feel worse before feeling better.

Best of luck to you! I hope this at least puts you on the right path!
Marybeth

Ask for a printed copy of the cardiologist's interpretation of the echo. This should provide you with the correct terminology and the exact readings of each item. According to most sources, a normal ejection fraction is 55-65 percent.

By the way, I now always ask for a printed copy of the results of any medical procedures I have done. This helps me cut through some of the communication difficulties and gives me hard figures to work with for future reference.

Dave

EF

EF

I went to my cardiologist on Tuesday, and he affirmed what I had suspected: the ejection fraction is measured during an echo or a catheterization. The number he had for mine, 30%, was low, but it was measured during extreme arrythmia after surgery. But what my EF is when I'm feeling fine I don't know; I have an echo scheduled for September.

Hi Jim,
My EF before surgery to repair my mitral was 20% before surgery; 30% after surgery and now 1-1/2 years later is at 57%!!!! It takes time for your heart to get back to normal... it was afterall invaded!

Take care,
Zazzy

Latest posts

Back