Enlarged left atrium

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sonya489

Hi,
I have just found out on an echocardiogram I have an enlarged left atrium in the superior-inferior systolic dimension of 6.0cm. I also have 24% mitral regurgitation & 18% aortic regurgitation. My ejection fraction is good at 62%. Does anyone here know anything about any of these things.
I have always had low blood pressure and been cold a lot.One of my new thyroid meds has allowed my body temp,and blood pressure to be more low normal now. I have been on it for about 3 years.

I also am hypothyroid ( Hashi's) and have been for almost 16 years.
Any suggestions,opinions or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
C-YA
Sonya
:rolleyes:

Bill - I have been waiting for someone to ask but noone has - ergo, I will. What the heck is that a picture of (your avatar). If it's sposed to be recognizable, then my pumphead has taken over as I just can't decipher!!!

What the heck is that a picture of

What the heck is that a picture of

That's a pic of my very own heart, split wide open during mitral valve repair surgery.

Big welcome to Bill and Sonya!

Bill, if we ever have an avatar award..... you will be top nominee!

Sonya, the only number on your tests that throw up a red flag, would be the Atrial enlargement. Your EF looks great. Example, my Mital valve was regurgitating to a 4+, top level. My atrium was a 5.5. Normal ranges..... 4.0 - 5.0 I beleive?

Before further enlargement occurred, they wanted to replace that valve. It could be your combined leakage between the valve chambers that is progressing your atrial enlargement.

Would recommend discussing your results with a good surgeon.

Thanks 2 all of you for the great information! It's so great to be able to ask people questions that have been thru or that know alot about a specific subject. This heart stuff is all so new to me but I have spent many a hour on the computer for the last 3 days. I have had symptoms of some of this in the past couple of years but was told it was chronic fatique& fibromyalgia. I guess I should have been a little more persistant with the Dr.
We live near Houston,Texas so we have a lot of great heart Dr.'s in our area.

Thanks Again,
C-YA
Sonya
:)

Hi Sonya

Hi Sonya

I live outside Houston, too, in Cypress (290@Barker Cypress). I had my aortic valve replaced 2 years ago w/a bovine valve which started leaking shortly after surgery.

Anyway, my leak was at 4+ when I finally started having lots of back pain when I laid down, right between my shoulder blades. The only other pain that really bothered me was a sharp stabbing pain in my left wrist! I didn't think much about that pain until someone w/ same prob at another web site said she had that pain, and then I saw a TV show of a man who had a massive heart attack and the only pain he had was in his left wrist! Very weird!!!

People have all kinds of symptoms, it seems. You're doing the right thing by learning all you can so you can make informed decisions and feel more "in control".

If you would like, you can email me directly at [email protected], since we live nearby. I'd be happy to talk with you. Good luck. Renee

When yall are saying that the leaks were 2+ 4+ since mine isn't
listed like that how do I convert it.The only thing I was given on
the report was 24% mitral 18 % aortic this stuff is very confusing to me. Ok if the % are of 100% would it mean that out of 100% output that my heart would be regurgitating 24% of it I can't figure this out. Could you help me convert it if you know how?
Thanks,
C-YA
Sonya
:rolleyes:

Sonya did they say if any of your valves are prolapsed?
My echo reads moderate to severe regurgitation of the mitral valve. No +1 or % mentioned in the report. I once asked my doctor what number i would be he said the highest.
According to my echo report the normal range for a left atrium is between 1.9 -4.0 - mine is currently 4.6
(LV Diastolic Diameter 5.4) (LV Systolic Diameter 3.3)

Renee, I get these back aches in my back between my shoulders sometimes. My doctor says this is skelatal.

Oh my gosh I get that ache between my shoulders in the back also and it hurts so bad. What is that?
On my report it just gave the % for the rugurgitation nothing else.
I haven't been to the carrdiologist yet we have some health issues with our 11 year old son right now that is my # 1 priority I have to get him taken care of first before I can worry about me.
I'm can handle to makor things at once!
C-YA
Sonya

This is how mine is listed:

AI: 18% JH/LVOTH >49% Severe
25% - 49 % Moderate PLAX
10-24% Mild

MR: 24% RJA/LAA > 40% Severe A4
20-40% Moderate
6-19% Mild

LA: 3.5 cm > 4.0cm PLAX

LA: 6.0 cm >5.3 cm A4

LVId 4.8 cm >7.0cm PLAX

LVId's 3.2 cm _>4.5 cm PLAX

PAP: NA mmHg _> 45mmHg all views
ERSVP + 10MMhG

EF: 62% <60% A4

C-YA
Sonya

Sonya & Tantenay, I live near Houston as well - Katy. Tantenay, I work at Holmsley Elem at Barker Cypress & 529, just a few miles from your house. The % numbers aren't anything I ever heard before my surgery, except in relation to the ejection fraction. It does sound like the other percentages relate to the amount of blood going backward. My murmur was at 5 (on a scale of 6) before the surgery, and I think that's an indication of the volume associated with the murmur. I also had a very enlarged left side of my heart - can't remember the exact number but somewhere in the range of 6. As of my last echo, it is normal, which the doctors weren't sure would ever happen, but miracles never cease!

Back