Dupont and Coumadin ......a "Must Read"

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bob Gleason

I have some updates on this and will post as a reply to this thread:

DuPont Pharmaceuticals Affirms Safety of Coumadin

08-03-01 04:46 PM EST | WILMINGTON, Del. -(Dow Jones)- DuPont Pharmaceutical Co. (DD) affirmed the safety of its anticoagulant drug Coumadin Crystalline, suggesting that the recent death of patients taking the drug may have been caused by improper dosing.

As reported, the Philadelphia city medical examiner is investigating deaths of five patients who may have received the wrong level of the blood-thinning drug at a hospital.

In a press release Friday, DuPont said, when properly administered, Coumadin is an effective, potentially life-saving medication that has been used in anti-coagulation therapy for 47 years.

"There is no question about the quality of Coumadin," the company said.

The drug, however, has a narrow therapeutics index that requires careful patient monitoring; too little of the drug can result in potentially dangerous blood clots, while too much can result in excessive bleeding.

Company Web site: http://www.coumadin.com

-Cressida Connolly; Dow Jones Newswires; 201-938-5400

(This story was originally published by Dow Jones Newswires)

Dupont and Coumadin....Continued

Dupont and Coumadin....Continued

DuPont Gets Preliminary Approval For Coumadin Class-Action Settlement

08-06-01 05:28 PM EST | WILMINGTON, Del. -- The drug unit of DuPont Co. said late Monday it received preliminary court approval for a nationwide settlement to all class-action lawsuits concerning the marketing, sale and promotion of the blood-thinning drug Coumadin.

DuPont Pharmaceuticals Co., which is in the process of being acquired by Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. (BMY) for $7.8 billion, said it will pay $44.5 million to U.S. consumers and third-party payors to resolve their claims that DuPont engaged in misleading marketing and promotional practices for the anticoagulant.

DuPont's (DD) pharmaceutical unit said it agreed to the settlement without admitting any wrongdoing in order to avoid the burden and expense of further litigation with the plaintiffs. The settlement, subject to final federal court approval and dismissal of all the pending class actions in the U.S., is expected to be completed in the first quarter.

DuPont Pharmaceuticals Friday affirmed its view on the safety of Coumadin, suggesting that the recent death of patients taking the drug may have been caused by improper dosing. Philadelphia's medical examiner has been investigating the deaths of five patients who may have received the wrong dosage of the blood thinner at a hospital.

Coumadin has annual sales of about $425 million.

And the key words are "if used properly"!

DuPont has no fault in those cases. That Philly hospital lab should feel the heat on this one. Though, last time I heard you need a doctor and or RN to give adjustment instructions.

As I have personally experienced the wrath 'mismanagement' myself.... it boils down to pure negligence.

Luckily I am still alive to tell my story.

That's why I like my Protime home monitor, with an occasional check at the Coumadin clinic far away from here.

Latest posts

Back