Doctor's Visit

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

carlapv

Hi everyone,
Well, I finally got the courage up to go and see my cardio about my SOB and he sent me for an echo, chest xray and blood cultures. The blood cultures were because I had a breast biopsy in February which of course became infected and he was afraid maybe the infection was in my blood. I just got the results of the test and thankfully the infection is not in the blood, but the echo showed that my mitral valved is moderately thickened and the aortic valve has moderate to severe reguritation. The xray showed that my heart is enlarged. He has decided that this is a question of "quality of life" rather than an absolute medical necessity at this time. I told him I wanted three months to try and get myself into shape ( I just quit smoking a short while ago, and I am about 50 pounds overweight) and then see how my breathing is. Perhaps it will improve enough so that I can wait a while longer before sugery is necessary.

I am pleased with what he said but I have one question for you guys..... When y'all were waiting for your surgery did you get sick alot? Did everything turn into a major deal? I caught a cold 3 weeks ago and it immediately turned into a major upper respiratory infection and I am still not over it, and of course the infection from the biopsy. Perhaps it has nothing at all to do with my heart but I was never sick until my mitral valve syptoms started in 1995.

Thanks to everyone for encouraging me to go and see the Doc. It is truly wonderful to be able to talk to someone who can relate.

Carla

Hi Carla-

Here's a site which discusses the different valve problems and what the symptoms are of each.

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/9339/23659.html

My husband was quite sick when his mitral valve was regurgitating. He improved right after surgery. Then a couple of very bad falls caused by faints from a too slow heartbeat, tore some of his valve stitches loose, and he developed the very sick condition all over again, because it was leaking. After this repair, he is heart-wise feeling OK.

Any illness can be much worse when you have compromised valves, especially if it is a chest cold. When the valves aren't working well, fluid can accumulate in the lungs, even without a cold. Add to that the congestion from a cold, then you have a real mess.

I hope you are in contact with your doctor on this latest infection. It might be prudent to ask about antibiotics for yourself, since you already have some problems going on.

Carla,
Sorry to hear you are having these problems. Congratulations on quitting smoking and attacking the weight! When I quit smoking 10 years ago, I remember catching every cold that came along for a while. My doctor explained that when your body is recovering from the withdrawl, and when your lungs are healing from the years of smoking, your immune system takes a beating for a little while...but this is not a reason to start smoking again!

Once your heart starts to enlarge, very careful monitoring is essential. My surgeon "let" me put my surgery off for six months, which was maybe too much, because I had a major decline in heart function during that time.

However, if you can get your weight down to exactly where it should be, the surgery and your recovery will be all that much easier. My wife swears by Weight Watchers. When my mother had serious medical problems, her doctor told her she had to lose 100 lbs.! To our pleased amazement, she did it by walking every day for at least 45 minutes, and by eliminating snacks. Not only did the weight loss improve her health immensely, but it changed her whole life in many other positive ways, too.

My own surgery encountered a major problem due to the first valve tearing during surgery, which resulted in a 14 hour surgery. My surgeon said one of the reasons I survived that was due to having gotten my weight to right where it should be, and because I had exercised regularly. I don't think you'll have any of the problems I had, but getting yourself in the best shape you can is the very best insurance policy!

Wishing you all the best,
--John

Thanks both of you for your replies. I am working real hard at the weight loss and the addiction to cigarettes. I know that I will be able to do it this time. It would be quite wonderful to be thin, smoke free, and healthy again.

Thanks
Carla

Latest posts

Back