Doctor Visit

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

carlapv

Hi everyone,
Well I took everyone's advice and went to see my cardio. Of course, wouldn't you know it...on that day my ankles looked pretty normal ( I haven't seen normal in so long I'm not sure what it looks like). He was not convinced that I was having a problem with fluid retention but he precribed 25mg daily of hydrochlorothiazide, which now that the fluid is back doesn't appear to be doing much of anything. He said that my heart sounded about the same, he really didn't hear much of a difference. I explained that it might sound alright but I KNOW how I feel and I know that something isn't right. He sent me for an echo, chest xray and blood cultures. I have another appointment on 4/9 for the results of the testing. I trust my doctor's skills but I sure resent always having to remind him that I know my body and how it works and that I know when something is different. One question....I can hear my heart beat all the time, my carotids are fine. My cardio says he has never seen this before and to convince him I had to prove it by counting off the beats. Have any of you ever had this?

Thanks,
Carla

I don't know, Carla--It sounds as if you are having an ongoing battle with your card. It's good that you trust his skills, but the shoe has to fit on the other foot as well, he has to trust what you're saying.

If you keep going to him, you will always be in this situation. You knowing how you feel, and he not believing you.

It's kind of an impossible situation to be in.

Have you thought about a second opinion, just to break the tie?

Because of my insurance I don't have much choice. The group my doctor is in has 6 cards. All of whom I have seen during my two hospital stays and I can truly say that I like mine best of the bunch. I had my valuloplasy at Emory University Hospital and I liked my surgeon very much but I only get to see him when I am ready for surgery. The card I had there was great but he became a TV personality and now he is too busy to be accessible. I guess that I can just continue to remind my card. that I have a brain and can use it!

Thanks for your replies.

Carla

Hi Carla-

Well, you're stuck, I guess. I just don't like the fact that he doesn't believe you, and even further that he is demeaning you when he asked you to count out your heartbeats for him.

You'll have to be very proactive with this guy, maybe there is another family member that could go to your appointments with you and help in this respect, someone who could confirm your symptoms. It's hard for a person who is not feeling well to do double battle with a patronizing doctor.

Best wishes to you.

Hi Carla

Hi Carla

I just e-mailed you..caught my eye..Lawrenceville, Ga. My son is with the Police Department there....Put most of what I wanted to say in E-mail. Good to have another Georgia Girl on forum:) Bonnie

For what is is worth, yes, my husband can also "hear " his heart beat in his neck. (interestingly enough, he wears a hearing aid).
He has been able to "count" his heartbeats since his surgery. Would drive me nuts!! He is AOK with it though. I recall others on here who also have the same thing! Good luck with your tests!
Marybeth

Hi Carla, for your question add a "me too" for me here..I can sometimes hear my heartbeat in my neck. It sounds like it's in the base of my skull or at the very top/back of my neck. I too had a carotid artery scan which showed up clear.

howdy

howdy

Yes I can feel my beat. But then again I was born with this condition and have always been able to do so.

Medtronic of Borg

Carla

Carla

I have a mechanical valve and can hear my heart whenever I want to, before surgery I had problems with irregular heart beats, I was able to feel and hear them.

Listen to Nancy, if you can't change docs bring someone with you.

keep us updated, best of luck during you test,

Terry40

Latest posts

Back