Dilated Aortic Root

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

whalepilot

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I hope that someone can answer a question for me. I had an echocardiogram in 1998, it showed that my aortic root was 3.7cm. I had another echo last week and the aortic root has enlarged to 4.2cm. Is this something that I should be worried about? Does anyone know what the diameter is when surgery is usually indicated? I have an appointment with a cardiologist next week and was just wanting to get a heads up on any possible problems with the aortic root. I am 38 yrs old and have a family history of heart disease including aortic aneurysms. Thanks for you help.

Hi Whalepilot-

Welcome to this terrific site. You've come to a good place, and will love the support you get here.

I can't help you with your particular problems because my husband did not have aortic root problems. He did, though have 3 valve surgeries.

There are several members who've had aneurysm and root surgeries. I'm sure they'll be along soon to answer your questions.

I hope we see you here often.

Whalepilot,

I also had a diagnosis of aortic root dilatation in 1998 at 4.5 cm but with no valve leakage. When I had another echo in 2001, I was still at 4.5. However, I did have aortic valve regurgitation. When I had AVR surgery in July 2001 my aortic root was reconstructed as well.

The opinion of cardiologists and vascular surgeons varies, but most seem to agree that when an aortic root reaches 5.0 cm that the risk of surgery is less than the risk of waiting. Some surgeons also believe that aneurysm repair before valve leakage begins can preserve the function of the native valve.

Do lots of research, listen to your physicians, and talk to others who have personal experience with this. You will come to a plan of action that you have peace with.

hi whalepilot!
welcome to this wonderful site. everyone here is so sensitive, supportive and informative.
i just looked up joey's surgical records to see what his aortic root dilation was. it states that the normal range is 2.0-3.7 cm.
joey's at the time of surgery was 4.2 cm. you must understand, though, that this was not the deciding factor for surgery. there were several other factors, such as his symptoms were becoming more severe, his valve area opening was severely stenosed (?) and the opening was a mere 0.6 square cm.
i think that it's a great idea that you are seeing a cardiologist this week. i think that may start answering many of your questions.
you may want to write some of them down as you think of them, so you don't forget to ask them when you get there.
please let us know how things go.
be well, sylvia

Hi whalepilot,
I started having my aorta tracked over 10 years ago. At the time, they discovered it with an echocardiogram and it measured in the 4.0 to 4.5 range. We tracked with an echo for a number of years until it reached the 5.0 range. The measurement on the echo is somewhat subjective as the technician picks the measurement points and depending on angle and precision can vary a little. At the 5.0 mark, they started measurement with an MRA which is a version of an MRI. That was supposed to be a more accurate measurement. We did that for a while and when it reached 5.5, they began to talk about surgery. I had a slight to moderate regurgitation. The concern they had for me was rupture of the aorta and not so much valve leakage. After consultation with a surgeon, they decided that surgery was needed. The measurement at that time was 5.6. My surgeon was of the mindset that surgery and recovery are better at the 5.5 range instead of waiting until the 6.0 point. They generally talk about surgery between 5.0 and 6.0. There is some thoughts that waiting until 5.5 is a better choice than going ahead at 5.0. Of course, there are lots of other things that come into play for the decision. Before the surgery they did a arteriogram (spelling?) and said I had no clogged arteries. They also did a cat scan and with that measurement, I believe they said I was up to 6.4. Now, I'm not sure if it grew from 5.6 to 6.4 in that timeframe (less than two months) or if the measurement is just different with the two tests. I still have two aneurysms on the descending aorta and they seem to be using the cat scan to monitor those.

I had the first surgery in June of 2001. At that point, the selection of valve decisions for me was 1 - repair of my valve, 2 - homograft, 3 - bovine, 4 - mechanical. I didn't want to deal with the coumadin or the clicking of a mechanical. The estimates seem to be 15 to 20 years with the homograft, so I knew that would probably mean a repeat surgery. My first hope was repair, since the leakage wasn't so bad. But, the surgeon was concerned when he got in there that the original had been stretched too much with the enlargement. So, we did the homograft and needed a piece of dacron to make up the difference between the aortic root with the homograft and the length of the aneurysm.

That valve developed a leak in less than 18 months and was more severe than my original. So severe that I had a redo surgery in January of this year. The replacement valve had developed holes in the leaflets. Since the surgery was so close to the original surgery, we decided to go with the mechanical to hopefullly eliminate any future surgeries. Still out for debate on whether that was the right decision.

Sorry for the length of the message, more than you asked about. I believe if it is just the size of the aorta, they will probably talk about 5.0 and greater. My surgeon and cardiologist think that 5.5 or greater is the right number. I would ask them about your natural valve and whether surgery earlier or later would affect that. Hopefully, everything else is in good shape and you can keep your valve and just repair the aneurysm.

Great response

Great response

Dano, that was a great response. Thats what makes this a great website and it should really help whalepilot.

Thanks everyone for your responses. My appointment with the cardio is this Wednesday, I'll let you know where I stand after the appointment.

I, like you, had an aortic root dialation. I found out that I had a problem in March 2001 and surgery was Dec of that same year. Mine was 4.5 cm at the time of surgery with 1+ regurgitation at the valve. My cardiologist did not recommend surgery at that time, but instead a limited lifestyle. I did not feel that was possible being 26 years old with a toddler. I felt like age was on my side and I opted for surgery at St. Joseph's hospital in Atlanta. Dr. Murphy and his staff were great and although I did not get the pig valve like I wanted, I was ok with that too in the end. I ended up with a St. Jude's valve due to the location of the aneurysm. I was told that it would be very difficult to go back in there in 10 or so years and have to reattach a bunch of things that were already scarred.

I only had minor symptoms at the time of surgery, but I felt like I was walking around with a time bomb in my body. It was H--- on my mental stability for sure. All in all, other than some minor health issues, I am doing ok.

Good luck with our decision. I know that it was a hard one for me.

Shana

Latest posts

Back