CryoLife Synergraft Valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mary

Maybe someone can help me (of course, someone can help me!)

I was offered a choice of valves when I met with the surgeon.
He said they can do a Ross procedure.
He said they can use a porcine or bovine valve.
He said they could use a "tissue" valve.

I assumed when he said tissue, he meant from a donor. However, I see where John Cochran's signature says he has a cryolife synergraft. Is this the same thing? Have there been problems with those valves?

I think I'm going either piggy or moo-moo, but I'm not positive. Any information would be appreciated.
Mary

Do a search on the site for Synergraft or Cryolife. It should bring up all the old posts. I won't make any comments. The posts speak for themselves.

Nancy said:
Do a search on the site for Synergraft or Cryolife. It should bring up all the old posts. I won't make any comments. The posts speak for themselves.
Nancy,
I only read back as far as February, 2004 before deciding to quit searching. That's kind of what I vaguely remember seeing posted before. I guess I'm going with a farm animal!

Now, Mary...did you really think we've been holding out on you all this time?

Cryolife has been enjoined form selling their valves for some time due to manufacturing/sterilization difficulties that caused severe problems for some of their patients. They are due for hearings to get that permission to sell back shortly, if they have not started already.

They were the premiere company in the business for a while. Others have grown in their absence.

Best wishes,

(Psst - there's a great new valve out there - don't tell Mary!) :D

Ok Smarty! (that would be Bad Boy Bago Baby), :D :D :D

Tell me what my surgeon is offering when he says a homograft is an option, and why is he offering it?

Cryolife Synergraft Homograft

Cryolife Synergraft Homograft

Mary,
3 years ago today I had an aortic Cryolife Synergraft homograft tissue valve and root conduit implanted. I had a very fast full recovery and fortunately did not have any of the quality control issues that caused some problems with these treated valves. My buddy John Cochran had a QC problem with his and was fortunate (smart) enought to have a backup on hand.
I was 30 at surgery and in good shape, since surgery my only problem has been some recurring pericarditis which is controlled by NSAIDs. I was very disappointed to see this technology shelved for so long, it seemed so promising.
Dr. Kenton Zehr at Mayo in MN did my surgery as well as a few others with this valve. I recently visited Mayo for a 3 yr checkup and everything looked PERFECT, NO regurgitation and all of my tests results showed a normal functioning heart.
There are quite a few posts (some rather lengthy) about the Synergraft surgeries of myself, John Cochran, Jennie and possibly 1 or 2 others.
I have been extremely happy and lucky with my valve selection. Who is your surgeon and where, when I was researching this there were only 2-3 places to have this done.
Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions about my particular situation.
[email protected]

Good luck, I'm sure you will make the right choice for you.

Thank Brooks for your reply.

I'm having surgery on June 7 at Missouri Baptist Hospital in St. Louis County. Dr. Nicholas Kouchoukus is my surgeon.
I assume (and this might be a dumb assumption) that availability is a factor?
I'm two weeks away from hospital admittance, but that's enough time to search further.
Thanks again and I may contact you.
Mary

Mary, there are so many questions and decisions to make aren't there. I didn't have an option because I have CML (leukemia) and have to take the cancer drug Gleevec and it wouldn't mix well at all with Commudin, so I have a pig's valve. The only problem I have found with it, I now love to play in the mud. LOL :) :) :)

I know you will make the right choice for you. Hugs and prayers are coming your way.

Glenda said:
Mary, there are so many questions and decisions to make aren't there. I didn't have an option because I have CML (leukemia) and have to take the cancer drug Gleevec and it wouldn't mix well at all with Commudin, so I have a pig's valve. The only problem I have found with it, I now love to play in the mud. LOL :) :) :)

I know you will make the right choice for you. Hugs and prayers are coming your way.

Glenda,
If I end up with a piggy valve, I'll come out your way and we can play together! (actually, I always loved playing in the mud!) :D :D
Keep that computer going! :)

Mary, what a cute picture. I guess we could wear our tight t-shirts too! LOL Boy, now that would be a picture. :D :D

Sounds good.

Sounds good.

BrooksM said:
Mary,
3 years ago today I had an aortic Cryolife Synergraft homograft tissue valve and root conduit implanted. I had a very fast full recovery and fortunately did not have any of the quality control issues that caused some problems with these treated valves. My buddy John Cochran had a QC problem with his and was fortunate (smart) enought to have a backup on hand.
I was 30 at surgery and in good shape, since surgery my only problem has been some recurring pericarditis which is controlled by NSAIDs. I was very disappointed to see this technology shelved for so long, it seemed so promising.
Dr. Kenton Zehr at Mayo in MN did my surgery as well as a few others with this valve. I recently visited Mayo for a 3 yr checkup and everything looked PERFECT, NO regurgitation and all of my tests results showed a normal functioning heart.
There are quite a few posts (some rather lengthy) about the Synergraft surgeries of myself, John Cochran, Jennie and possibly 1 or 2 others.
I have been extremely happy and lucky with my valve selection. Who is your surgeon and where, when I was researching this there were only 2-3 places to have this done.
Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions about my particular situation.
[email protected]

Good luck, I'm sure you will make the right choice for you.

BROOKS can I get more info from you? I need your help!
I want to get that valve too, is it working out for you?
Where did you have it done, who did it.. etc.. details please!

I do NOT want Coumadin for life.

Latest posts

Back