Courage

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

ALCapshaw

I like the following quote taken from the movie "Three Kings"
spoken by George Cloney in his role.

"You do the thing you are afraid of,
THEN you get the courage."

That's how it works. "

That, and DENIAL have helped me through these last weeks before my surgery which is scheduled for May 21. Sometimes, Denial can be a good thing :). I just pretended that my 'penciled in' date wasn't real but proceeded to make my preparations.

Even though I know the importance of maintaining a Positive Mental Attitude, I've had a hard time getting there. The surgeon wasn't much help. I can understand why there is no Mended Hearts Chapter in HIS hospital :-(. When I went for a second interview, I couldn't help but the the feeling that he was thinking "Why is this guy wasting my time". Inside sources have reassured me of his competence. That hospital has the best numbers in the state and is world reknown as a major heart transplant facility. My surgeon is the head of the heart transplant group.

My will has been updated, limited power of attorney created, Medical Power of Attorney and Advanced Directive filed with my Primary Care Physician and Cardiologist. A third copy will be provided to the hospital when I check in.

Vehicles have been serviced, grass has been cut, hair has been cut short. Monday morning I will check into the UAB Hospital. It feels a lot like taking my car in for service. Drop it off in the morning and come pick it up when it's ready. (TRUST US. We'll fix it. You don't need to know the details). Here goes. Can you tell I'm not thrilled?

'AL'

Hi Al,

Just wanted to say.. "Really go out and enjoy your weekend!"

You will have many prayers from all of us helping you along.

Wishing you a successful surgery and a fast and full recovery,

Rob

Well Al, as long as you have a competent "mechanic" everything should go okay.

Good luck and we'll be praying for you and I'll keep my fingers, toes, eyes, arms and legs crossed for you!

Take care and try to have a restful weekend.

Zazzy

Hi Al, I am fairly new to this forum so don't know exactly what you are going to have done Monday..but noticed that you are from Alabama too..(Selma) but now live in the North Ga. Mountains...I had my Valve surgery March 25th at St. Joseph's in Atlanta...No pain..home in a week..It will be 8 weeks Monday..I am already walking 3 miles a day..eating and everyone tells me how good I look..so we Alabama folk must be tough..My hubby has been spoiling me rotten..cooking, ect..so every once in awhile I pretend I have a pain but sooner or later he is going to catch on how good I really feel.....I will be thinking of you and praying that you will feel as good as I do very soon..Bonnie

Hi Al,

It sounds to me like you have done your homework regarding your surgeon and hospital, and will be in very good hands. I only met with my surgeon once before surgery, but I focused more on his reputation and experience as opposed to his bedside manner (which was actually pretty darned good). I had zeroed in on him as my surgeon regardless of how friendly he turned out to be.

The positive mental attitude thing shouldn't be understated. I really think it's what got me through some tough spots following my procedure.

The main advice I would give you is relax and let them take care of you. They will keep you comfortable. Even with all of the bumps and extra time in the ICU that I had, I was comfortable at all times, and had virtually no pain.

Al, you will be in my thoughts on Monday. Go get 'em.

Regards

I did all that preparation, too, Al and it was worth it to get it out of the way, especially the will-and the grass. Now you can just sit back and try to relax. No other choice at this point so you might as well have yourself a really good weekend and prepare to get on with it come next week. Will be sending my prayers for your successful surgery and quick recovery. Godspeed

Hi Al-

My very best wishes to you for your surgery on the 21st. You'll do fine and will soon be back here telling us how it went. We'll all be waiting.

Take care, and leave it to the surgeon to worry, it sounds as if he's very capable. That's really all you need. You have your friends for companionship, they can't do heart surgery.

So eveyone has their place in the universe.

hi al!
just wanted to wish you well and let you know we will be thinking of you and praying for you. we know this is a scary time, the last few days prior to the surgery. just keep on doing what you're doing, sounds good.
the day will be here before you know it. have a restful weekend and stay positive.
God bless and be well, sylvia

AL, I'll be praying for you as well plus, it's my turn less then 3 weeks later and I need you to do the same for me. I'm feeling the anxiety also. I'm doing what I can to tune it out, but as long as the date is on the calendar and that date has not passed, I will be anxious.

Doctors with poor bedside manors for some reason, more or less, are actually some of the best. Try not to let him get to you. My Pulmonologist is the same way, but there isn't a better person to have looking out for you in a bad situation. I've learned to overlook his short comings. I'd still like to reach out and touch him sometime, but he has some sort of defense mechanism that won't allow it. He's seasoned I guess.

My surgeon(s) keep boring into me with the risk numbers. This bothers me highly. I'd rather not know, but I know they are only doing it to cover their own butts.

Facing the fear is the hardest, but hopefully when this is all over, we can sit back and say, "Wow, it presented itself and I dealt with it. I am stronger because of it."

If it doesn't stop raining here soon, I'll never be caught up with the grass cutting.;) Everything else seems to be in perspective though. Still need a haircut myself.

Enjoy as much as you possibly can this weekend and know that all of us are watching over you.

Courage

Hey Al,

Good Luck Buddy...I know the Good Lord will keep you in the palm of His hand..all will be well.

Waiting to hear from you re: the good results!!

Jack ( Welland )

Hey Al,

You'll do great. One moment, it's before surgery, the next, you're all done. And Johnny is right, There wasn't a time after surgery that I thought "I hurt". The hospital staff made sure that I was pain free.

I remember something Nancy said a few months ago which helped me. She said something to the effect that "these people (heart surgeons) are very talented and very serious about what they do". Thinking about that helped give me every confidence that I was in good hands and would be taken care of.

I made the same preparations you did. That is, except for the grass. Wife mowed it afterwards. :D

Best of luck. You have done everything you can. Well be thinking about you on the 21st.

Latest posts

Back