coumadin & surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cookie

Hi Everyone!
I have probably asked this question before but I have these brain fogs where the memory just goes to H----! :) I had a colonoscopy 3 years ago at which time they removed a polyp and told me then to come back in 3 years. In the meantime I had an appt. with the gastro doc and he said there was no need for a recheck. That goes against everything I've read. My question is how do they handle the coumadin issue for this type of test? Does it mean a stay in the hospital? UGH! I've developed this aversion to hospitals since my 3 stints with the heart surgery two years ago! :D

Coumadin & Surgery - Not really that bad

Coumadin & Surgery - Not really that bad

Cookie,
Regardless of whether you should have the procedure or not, the way to handle any kind of medical procedure (Colonoscopy, Plastic Surgery, etc) is to temporarily suspend taking Coumadin while at the same time taking 2 injections per day of Lovenox (Heparin type of drug) for approximately 3 days. You do not take a Lovenocx injection 12 Hours before the procedure.
As soon as the procedure is completed, you restart taking your Coumadin dose along with the Lovenox injections for another 3 days, giving the Coumadin time to take affect (effect?)in your body.
I've done this a few times, and it is much, much better than hanging aroung the Hospital waiting for you INR to go down enough for any surgerties.
Even the injections are not all that bad. Lovenox needles have a tiny needle and it is not at all painfull and extremely easy to administer (It does not get injected into a vein but rather into fatty tissue).
Check with your Cardiologist, and if he feels you can handle this procedure, you'll feel a lot better about what's going on.
Good Luck,
Icarus

Hi Cookie,

The danger with Coumadin and a colonoscopy is that while they perform the procedure, they will remove any polyps that they come across. Thus, cutting them would cause bleeding for those of us on Coumadin.

There is an alternative, and one that I have had done due to the fact that I am also on Coumadin. You can have a "Vertual" Colonoscopy". This is a "non invasive" procedure to see if you have any polyps. It is in fact at type of MRI.

If they see that you have polyps, then they would have to schedule surgery to remove them. You could then be at a hospital better prepared to handle surgery conditions and prerequisits.

So, when it was my turn to have a colonoscopy I went to a doctor and asked about this "Vertual Colonoscopy" procedure.

My doctor didn't want to do this at first when I asked him about virtual colonoscopy. BUT, I also did not tell him (at first) that I was on Coumadin, because I wanted to hear his response to the procedure. He didn't recommend it, because he said that if some polyps were discovered, he would have to schedule a second time to remove them. SO WHAT!!!!

However, once I told him that I was on Coumadin, he totally agreed that I should have the virtual colonoscopy. For the exact reasons I stated above. ( I did not want to go off Coumadin, and I didn't want to risk him nicking, or cutting me during the regular colonscopy procedure. I thought the virtal was a better option, no cutting, no nicking, and if something was seen, I would schedule surgery in the hospital, and they could handle me as a patient on Coumadin, and use heprin, or whatever they do for surgery in our cases).

Hope this helps,

Rob

Last edited:
Funny you should ask. I turned 50 years old in 2000 and my internist recommended that I have a screening colonoscopy to establish a baseline. Since I had an AVR the previous year, I had to decide whether to take the test at all, take it while on Coumadin or stop the Coumadin, go into the hospital, wean off the Coumadin and onto Heperin, then have the test before being put back on the Coumadin. I discussed this with my gastroenterologist and we decided that I would take the test while on the Coumadin since there was no family history of colon cancer and this was for screening purposes only. The odds were vastly in my favor that no polyps would be found.

Of course they found a polyp. This necessitated going home, weaning off the Coumadin - my INR dropped from 3.0 on a Tuesday to 1.4 that Friday. The polyp was removed on Friday - STAT - since I was in danger of developing a clot at that INR level. After the removal, I was admitted to the hospital and put on a Heparin drip and put back on the Coumadin. I was scheduled to be released on Monday - after 3 days in the hospital.

I hemoraged on that Sunday, while in the hospital, and began bleeding from the polyp removal site. This worsened over the next few days and my blood count dropped. Finally, I had another procedure on the following Tuesday where the polyp removal site was re-cauterized to stop the bleeding. To make a long story short, the polyp turned out to be pre-cancerous and I will need another colonoscopy at the end of this year. We will do that one while on Coumadin and roll the dice that they won't find anything that needs removal since only 2 years will have elapsed.

All of that said, had I not had the screening test, I would have had a polyp that would have become cancerous. Given all the Coumadin related stuff that happened after the procedure, I still had a very dangerous situation corrected even if it meant alot of inconvenience and discomfort. The alternative would have been much worse had I developed colon cancer.

My suggestion is to have the test. Since they already found a polyp once - even a benign one, you can't ignore this and not be tested. Whether to roll the dice and do it on Coumadin and hope that they don't find anything or stop the Coumadin in case they need to remove something is your decision. The odds are with me that they won't find another polyp so soon. If they do, it will be the same drill as last year.

With regards to how often to have the test. If your polyp was not pre-cancerous, you can safely extend the test intervals. If suspect, as mine was, you need to be checked more frequently - every 18 to 24 months in my case. Given the consequences of not finding a polyp, I'm going to be retested. With regards to being tested on Comadin or off, I would suggest that since you have a history of having polyps and since if they find one, they will need to remove it, I'd try it on Coumadin if done soon and off Coumadin if you extend the intervals.

Hope this makes sense and helps you decide.

Thanks so much for all replies. I guess I will talk to my gastro doc and ask about the virtual colonoscopy. The polyp that they found in the previous test was benign and the other so small it disintegrated when he tried to remove it. It just scares me even thinking about messing with my coumadin. Will talk to my internist also and kind of feel him out on the subject. Thanks again.

You now have the best information available.

Answers like this are why I recommend this site to everyone who write to me and says that they have had a valve replacement.

Hi Cookie

Ask your doctor about Lovenox injections.

I was handled this way for my colonoscopy. You remain fully covered while down on your Coumadin. These injections are administered at home, every 12 hours. By holding one back 12 hours prior to your procedure..... only leaves you uncovered for a very short period of time. Leaving that window open for your procedure. If they find something they can safely remove it.
No running back and going though it all over.

Believe me, you don't want to clean yourself out more than once if you know what I mean. That was worse than the actual test!

Keep us posted

Latest posts

Back