Coumadin & Diovan HCT....Al Lodwick ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

Zipper

Hi Al,

My Doc prescribed Diovan HCT (valsartan & hydrochlorothiazide) since my blood pressure has shot up in recent months.

I have checked your site and also your book, but can't find any info on possible interactions. I think this is a fairly new angiotensin 11 receptor, and I'm confident my Doc wouldn't order it if there were any problem.....BUT..I would love your input and info on this when you have time. I can find plenty of info on each drug (diovan & coumadin) but nothing discussing the use of them together. I'd appreciate anything you would like to share with me, as you have time....

Thanks Al.

Zipper/Joan

hey al!
i'd also be curious.... thanks zipper, my dad was just put on a double dose of diovan and is also taking coumadin.
he happens to be in the hospital right now with chf. first time (chf , that is). they just changed his meds and doubled the diovan.
i look forward to reading what you have to say, al.
thanks so much and hope you're all well, sylvia

I'm not Al, but I'm on Diovan HCT 160/12.5 and as far as I know and what I've read at Diovans site there are no interactions worthy of mention. The HCT is a diuretic and we all know what that makes us do. :D I take it first thing in the morning and spend the next 4 hours or so going back and forth to the potty.

Thanks for your reply Ross...I will take mine in the morning, too, thanks to your warning..hehehe. Sure wouldn't want to be up all night due to a pill!!!!! I am glad to hear you discovered no apparent interaction. What would we do without this site...there's nothing more valuable than the sharing and help here for me. I just keep learning..everyone is so kind and caring!!!

Zipper/Joan

Hi Joan,

Doubtful that will cause a problem. Though, when I have added or deleted a med.....have noticed a temporary swing in my INR. Unfortunately, you won't know unless you test.

36-48 hours after starting your new med, test your INR and let us know how it works out for you.

Thanks Gina...yes, I will test on Friday and let you know if any ups or downs occur. I tend to go down while most others seem to rise with changes. Nothing beats home testing..I'm so glad I can keep a close watch on it. Again...thanks to this site and people, we know to do all of this!!!!!! Gotta 'GO' now..hehehe

Joan

I doubt that you will notice much of anything.

When I see someone who has gained a lot of water weight, their INR is usually high. I think that this is because their liver gets congested with fluid and they cannot metabolize the warfarin as rapidly as normal. Then when they start the hydrochlorothiazide they lose the fluid and they can metabolize warfarin more rapidly, so the INR drops.

I saw one of these today. Her trouble started several years ago when she survived a lightning strike. Her cardiac function has been declining steadily ever since. They had her on the wait list for a transplant but she has had several strokes.

What do you think her husband said when she told him that she had been hit by lightning?

"Yeah sure!" and he ran across the street to see the woman that it killed.

Thanks Al for the input...This is a strange week in that I had a dental appt and took my antibiotic and then my Cardio puts me on Diovan the next day. My reading today was 2.1,,I guess due to antibiotic. So I did take extra dosage tonite (less than 10%) and will test again on Friday and probably again on Monday...all the extra testing due to 2 med changes in 2 days and taking the extra dosage. I generally do not test more than once a week.

That's an awful 'lightening' story...the wife had to be very upset when her husband ran across the street and left her alone after receiving her own jolt!!!! I think he may not hear the end of that one! I worked in the ER...admitting for so many years and I, too, have heard some strange stories...some I couldn't put in print! LOL!

Thanks Al...take care,

Zipper/Joan

Hi Syl..

It looks like your Dad and I need not worry! Our Doc's must be taking good care of us...of course we must always stay aware of any side effects...My best to your Dad, and to you and Joey.

Zipper/Joan ;-)

Latest posts

Back