Coumadin and alchohol

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nocturne

Here at the Hasbro Ball with my lovely wife, have a few drinks in me. I don't drink much these days, maybe once a week but trying to take a glass of wine a day to help with my HDL cholesterol. Have about three mixed drinks I me now and enjoying the feeling, but wondering what the future holds once I ultimately get a
Mecha valve and need Coumadin for life. Can I enjoy 1-4 nights a year where I get pretty damn tipsy after 3-5 mixed drinks? Or not? I await answers from you more experienced and wise folks of this message board!

I have my own meter, and have tested myself before and then after drinking, and didn't notice any change. That is my result, and you should obviously find your own results, as everyone handles things differently.

I'm new to self testing but have found if I have a few drinks there's no change in my INR. if I have half a dozen drinks my INR number does go up, but only slightly. Like say from a 2.0 to 2.5. Although I haven't made a practice of binge drinking and testing my numbers. I usually only have a few beers anyway. But it's nice to know if I do indulge more that it's not a big deal. Better to be a bit higher than to go the opposite direction I'd say.

Hi

firstly its exactly the benefits of self testing to be able to perform these tests and know. I'd also repeat the test over two days after just so you can be comfortable with the results. BUT Its well discussed here (like "out the wazoo") that there is very little effect from alcohol. Those who have found an effect are seldom rigorous and follow up after each drinking occasion to check that it was not coincidence.

Myself I have found no sound correlation between drinking and INR changes.

Its basically an unsubstantiated claim that I believe is propagated by wowsers who want to force you into their "tea toatler" views of the world.

The only sound argument I've read is that if you're an elderly old totterer then getting a bit tipsy may increase the chances of you taking a tumble. Thus avoid drinking.

For responsible adults who don't drink till they fall down I say this:

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back