conduit anyone?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cecily

Hi I wonder if you can help me? some of you seem so knowledgable. I had surgery 30 years ago and now just had another one 5 1/2 months ago due to congenital heart problems. I just got my medical records and am trying to come to some idea of what was done to me. I would ask my Cardio but I did not receive the records until after I saw her and would have to pay tosee her again. So maybe you guys can help me. In the records they said I had ST depressions during surgery? What is That? Also it looks like my purlmonary artery was so blocked they did a conduit from my right ventricle to my pulmonary artery. Does anyone else have this. Thanks Cecily

There is another memberwho has a conduit. However, I'm not sure it is the same type of conduit. You could try to send her a private message within this site. Her member name is ticktock.

Cecily said:
Also it looks like my purlmonary artery was so blocked they did a conduit from my right ventricle to my pulmonary artery. Does anyone else have this.

Hmmm.....I have a conduit, but I do not believe it is for the same reason.

My documentation reads:
Pulmonary Valved Conduit

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 31swm/pig valve/pacemaker
'72,6,9/'81,7.hobbies.chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
MC Guide = http://www.chevyasylum.com/mcspotter/main.html
"I ain't up to being strong now" ... Wynonna ... 'Is It Over Yet'

I'm only guessing, but since a conduit in this context is a prosthetic artery, I'd say they replaced a portion of your pulmonary artery with a graft of some sort--a homograft (donor artery) or a synthetic (likely dacron polyester) conduit. ST depression I THINK refers to slowing or stopping the filling (systole) of the (right) ventricle while they do the replacement, I would guess you were also on bypass.

Call your surgeon and ask! "Informed Consent" is a very basic precept of the practice of medicine. They probably explained what they were going to do or what they ended up having to do, but you were either too stunned or groggy to retain it. At the very least a nurse should be able to explain it to you--and at no charge.

Cecily said:
Hi I wonder if you can help me? some of you seem so knowledgable. I had surgery 30 years ago and now just had another one 5 1/2 months ago due to congenital heart problems. I just got my medical records and am trying to come to some idea of what was done to me. I would ask my Cardio but I did not receive the records until after I saw her and would have to pay tosee her again. So maybe you guys can help me. In the records they said I had ST depressions during surgery? What is That? Also it looks like my purlmonary artery was so blocked they did a conduit from my right ventricle to my pulmonary artery. Does anyone else have this. Thanks Cecily

Hi, Cecily!

Hi, Cecily!

Cecily said:

For once I can answer something! :D The conduit that you had placed is known as a Sano shunt. A Sano shunt is a fairly common procedure among CHD kids. It can be the first step in a three-staged surgical plan ultimately leading to a fontan circulation in HLHS patients. I am surprised that you had this operation so long ago as it has just resurfaced as an alternative to the more commonly used BT shunt, which my Katie had at two weeks of age. Interesting............if you google it, you can probably find out more about it.

I'm not sure about the ST depressions - the only thing I can think of is sinus tachycardia, but am shooting in the dark here. What was your specific diagnosis for defects?

You might want to try and repost this under the "heart" forum for more exposure, or maybe Ross could move it, but he is pretty well preoccupied these days as he has his hands full right now with his own worries.

Good luck and please let us know what you find out. Hugs. Janet

Last edited:
There is an EP (electrophysiologist) in About.com - go there to the heartdisease/cardiology section, look for Dr Richard Fogoros (Dr Rich). In his forum you can ask questions and he answers you personally. He will not give you advice, just information. He can explain what ST is. Plus other information you might want, he will tell you.

Thanks everyone for you help. I have been having trouble with my computer. haven't been able to get online in awhile. Cecily

Back