Complimentary Medicine

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JJGo

Well it's the middle of the night and I'm not sleeping so why not do this??

I've gotten lots of helpful responses about my post surgery preparations posting so here's another question. Is there anyone on this board who is using or has used any complimentay care (I don't like the term "Alternative Medicine".) as an adjunct to their "western medicine" care?

I used a lot of different things when I went through breast cancer nearly 10 years ago now, so it's a regular part of my life but I'm wondering if anyone has any specifics that were really helpful for them.

For anyone who might be concerned about this, no, I would not take anything without consulting the Drs. Not to worry!

JJ

JJ-
I did some nutritional therapies with an internal medicine MD, who specializes in complimentary medicine, before my surgery.

I initially started seeing him because I was so fatigued from the valve problem. I did several rounds of nutritional IV's and iron injections and B-12 injections. This started about 3 months pre-op. I also did a lot with supplements like Cytovol, Betagen, lipoic acid, co-q 10, vitamin e, etc.

I think it really helped me. I was so iron depleted that the iron and other nutritionionals really gave me a boost for the surgery.
I had the Ross Procedure which is a long surgery (although nothing compared to poor John.) But after 5 hours on the by-pass pump I still only had 3.5 days in the hospital (4.5 if you count the surgery day.)

Post-op I did some more IVs and have continued with the b-12 shots. I understand the B-12 might be contraindicated if you do Coumadin. I also took a drug called peracitam to help counter the "pump head" feeling from being on by-pass so long.

I really think the nutritionals gave me a boost, I was so tired and lazy just before the surgery that I know I was not eating right or anything.

Good luck
-Mara

Latest posts

Back