Complications with Dental Work

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

linbel

Hello all, Im scheduled to have a root canal and extraction, my cardiologist told me to stop my comadin for 1 week, is this normal? My history is that i have a mitral valve replacement (St Jude) and stroke in 1995 and on going a-fib. I never had major dental work unitl now. Im scared to stop my comadin for 1 week because others have said they only needed to stop for 3 days. Does any one else have any experience with this or should i have a second opinion, please advice. Thanks for your time

Mornin, Linbel - welcome to our home - This is an often discussed subject here and there will be lots of others who will answer your question, with their experiences. I don't take coumadin so can't answer. Just keep checkin in and you will find them. We don't get as much activity during the weekends, but this being such a cold one, maybe the whole crew is staying home and will be in to visit with you. God bless

Hello linbel

As long as your INR is in range, I would NOT go off of the therapy at all. The thing being you've had a stroke already, why would they want to risk another? That's plain crazy. I'm sure you'll hear from others on this matter, but until then, here are some links that may help you make a decision on this. I'd certainly get another opinion!!!! You may bleed more after the extraction, but I'd rather see you bleed then clot!

http://www.warfarinfo.com/procedures.htm

http://www.warfarinfo.com/dentalprocedures.htm

I remain on the Coumadin for all of my dental work. This did included a root canal. I went off for wisdom teeth extraction's, Though, that was back when we could use Lovenox injections while levels where down. FDA has recently put out a warning on that particular practice.

It appears you can have an extraction on the Coumadin. As I understand, the bleeding may continue for days. But I am sure not at a dangerous level. Your risk of a stroke would be much higher.

Good luck to you.

I had a wisdon tooth extracted that was not impacted, and did not go off Coumadin. Bleeding was slight. My dentist did not even suggest that I stop Coumadin. My INR runs around 3.0 and I had no problems with bleeding.....I had drainage for probably 36 hours after, but I think this could be a normal event, even if I wasn't on Coumadin. I would rather have the inconvenience of maybe, a few more hours of drainage, than a stroke!

To all who respond to my conerns I will definitely talk to my doctor and dentist Monday and listen to what they say about our opinions. I will let you know the result. Meantime I will not start any of this until I am confident with that.

Latest posts

Back