Chf???

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csutherland

Jerry was released from the hospital Tues. morning with no definite diagnosis. His abdomen was still big, he had shortness of breath on exertion, but the back & right shoulder pain were better. The pain, while not as bad, has moved to the back of the neck. He went to rehab yesterday and had gained 5 1/2 lbs in 9 days (definitely not from eating) and BP was 150 over 90. It had been running 110-120 over 79 or so. They were concerned enough to call his PCP and we're seeing him today.

After much internet research I'm thinking CHF. There was no foot & ankle involvement until this morning. As I mentioned before he hasn't gone off salt completely but has cut down; however, on his post-op visit to the cardiologist he was told not to worry about salt!

He supposedly had never had a heart attack so there was no damage to the heart itself, the valve is supposedly working fine, the one bypass was done, so what would cause CHF now? Could the valve be leaking? We chose the mechanical because of its durability. If they have to split him open again I don't know what he'll do. I know some of you have gone through it and made it though.

I'm sorry to hear that Jerry is still not feeling well. And I'm very glad that he's going to see the PCP regarding his ongoing problems.

My husband has had 3 valve surgeries and still has CHF although his heart function is OK. In my opinion, sometimes the heart cannot pump as efficiently as it has and the situation becomes chronic.

Joe does not have any more leaks, that we know of, so his CHF will probably always be with him. With the use of Lasix twice a day, and as low a sodium diet as we can possibly get, it's manageable. He's very vigilant about his weight as I've mentioned before. A 3 pound gain suddenly will prompt a call to the cardiologist for a Lasix adjustment.

Please let us know how Jerry does with the PCP. I hope they get a handle on it. When the lungs start to fill up, it's not a nice feeling.

Tell Jerry we're thinking about him, and you too. Take care,

Thanks for the reply, Nancy. The PCP has scheduled an echo for next Wednesday, and sooner if they can get it. He thinks the back of the neck and shoulder stuff is a separate issue, possibly originating with tension. I tend to agree.

The swelling in the ankles was still evident and I'm glad the Dr could see it. Since Jerry is a tall thin guy anyway I could tell the Dr didn't see much of a problem with the abdomen, but we know how his clothes were fitting up until last Sat. He thinks the valve sounds great; they had him walk the corridors a few times to check blood oxygen and it was 97 to start with and 96 at the end. He got only a little breathless. But the Dr. does think the swelling must have something to do with the heart, hence the echo. Trouble is, he's leaving Tuesday AM for a medical conference for almost 2 wks, so the guy who oversaw his hospital stay last weekend will be in charge. That is, unless the echo indicates something that the cardio needs to be called in again.

Again Nancy, I do appreciate you. You seem to have seen it all!

Husband Jerry
AVR + 1 bypass 2/12/02
St Judes Mech.
Springfield MO

Talking about Jerry and his abdomen, we had a similar problem with Joe. He's also slim and has skinny, skinny legs. So when he was filled with fluid, he just looked normal to the doctor. Prior to his last surgery when he was so terribly fluid laden, and the Visiting Nurses came to give him his Lovenox injections, they did a girth measurement( with a soft tape around his stomach) which they wrote down and checked it every time they came. That way, one could see how the fluid was affecting him without the subjective eye measurement. It was in black and white. I guess you could also do one on the ankles if need be.

Xrays can also show fluid in the lungs.

Just a couple of helpful hints.

hi csutherland,
i'm so sorry to hear jerry is feeling a little less than "as well as you'd hope he would". please let us know what the pcp says and what the echo shows. you will be in our thoughts and prayers.
God bless, sylvia

Just a little note.

Just a little note.

:( Hope Jerry will feel better soon, Sorry to hear all the things that are happening to him. I'll be looking for your post about his health. Syl::)

Lipitor?

Lipitor?

Maybe this should be a separate thread. I'm never quite sure how to do this.

Question: Has anyone had or heard of symptoms similar toJerry's that proved to be Lipitor induced? A cardiac nurse told me today that she knows of at least one man who had joint & muscle pain and fluid retention to the point he couldn't work. No surgery was involved--just a prescription for Lipitor because of cholesterol. We did question the doctor when he was dismissing Jerry from the hospital because we had read of the muscle problems that could occur with Lipitor and he agreed that it was a possibility. He said to go off it for several weeks. At that time we hadn't heard that it could cause fluid retention.
Jerry's total cholesterol is only 141 anyway, but he did need one bypass so they had put him on it.

I'd rather think he had a reaction to Lipitor than that he's coming up with CHF! We'll run this by the PCP Monday. I'm not sure he even realizes Jerry was on Lipitor because he didn't treat him during the hospital stay last week.

AVR + 1 bypass
2/12/02
Springfield MO

Hi,

CHF is a drag so I definately hope he does not have that. He has had open heart surgery, is there any risk that some scar tissue has turned constrictive and inhibits the pumping ability of the heart?

If the myocardium is permanently damaged little can be done to reverse the problem although it certainly can be managed.

Take care,

/jessica

I was just wondering if the doctors are addressing Jerry's fluid retention with diuretics while they try to determine the cause. It's really nothing to fool around with, especially if he's breathless and his feet are swelling.

When the lungs start filling, it's not a good thing.

Latest posts

Back