Cardioversion fixed A-flutter, still short of breath

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johninsd

I'm about 10 months out after AVR and Aorta replacement with a Dacron sleeve. The valve is bovine. Things went quite well for several months, then I developed Atrial flutter. I didn't know it until I went in for the six month followup, at which time I complained of shortness of breath. I had gone camping for a few days at high elevation (7600 feet) just before my appointment and attributed the shortness of breath to the altitude (I live at sea level). They did one cardioversion in May after I got on Warfarin for a few weeks to reduce the risk of clots/stroke but it didn't take - the A-flutter was back in a few weeks so the cardio put me on Amiodorone and continued the Warfarin. I had another cardioversion a few days ago and so far so good - my Alivecor ecg gizmo says my ecg looks "Normal" and I can tell the difference between ecg's taken before and after the cardioversion - the "P" wave is back - it had been missing, a sign of A-fib or in my case A-flutter. The only fly in the beer is that I still have shortness of breath, moreso than if it were just from being out of shape I think. My resting heart rate is down to about 48-50 and with exertion (walking is about all I can do right now) it goes up to about 65. Back when I was participating in trathlons and marathon swims I was proud that my resting heart rate was in the low 40's, now I'm thinking it would help to have it a bit higher. Anyone else have a similar story? What was your result?

Shortness of breath is a possible side effect of amiodarone. Not saying that's the culprit but it is a possibility, and yes it will lower your resting heart rate. Don't know, maybe it's possible they can adjust your dosage?...

Latest posts

Back