Cardiologists / Surgeons / Hospitals in NJ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

steve c

Does anyone have any experiences to share regarding cardiologists, cardiac surgeons and/or hospitals in New Jersey?

Thanks!

Steve

Bob Gleason is the man with the answers about New Jersey. I'm sure he'll answer you soon!

Re: Cardiologists / Surgeons / Hospitals in NJ?

steve c said:
Does anyone have any experiences to share regarding cardiologists, cardiac surgeons and/or hospitals in New Jersey?

Thanks!

Steve

You may want to check www.HeartSurgeons.com which is the website for a surgical group on NJ. They include a section on their statistics showing their survival numbers exceeding Mayo Clinic (by 0.1%), and a couple of other Heart Centers.

Good Luck,

'AL'

When I lived in NJ (Princeton), I made the drive up to Boston's Mass General for Dr. Eric Isselbacher. He is one of the best cardiologists on the East Coast, specializing in aortic problems, and well worth the drive! Hope that helps.

Steve - Seeing you receive so few replies finally got me to act and to sign up as a member. I have been looking at this site since last November when my wife e-mailed me DickV's story and pointed out the similarities. The fears and feelings that I had been experiencing since my surgery the previous July suddenly made sense to me. Until the surgery I had been totally normal (I thought). Since I was almost turning 50 it seemed a good time to get a stress test and echocardiogram. Well that happened on July 20 and I was immediately scheduled for a c-scan on July 21 at which point I was sent to the hospital that night. The rest is history. However, to answer your question, my life was saved by Dr. Barry Essrig at Saint Michael's Medical Center in Newark, NJ. His main practice is at Columbia Presbyterian in NYC but he splits his time between both. For my surgery (a 9.4cm aortic aneurism plus the valve) he brought in his "team" from Columbia. He was terrific, and for a surgeon, surprisingly human. A year later I am happy to say that I have no leaks and an almost invisible scar.

Most people will send you to NYC or somewhere else and I understand that mine was an emergency so I had no choice of where I went, but I couldn't be happier with the experience of these doctors and this hospital. Good luck

Steve...........New Jersey

Steve...........New Jersey

Steve, first I am sorry it took so long to reply.

My brother-in-law is a heart/thoracic surgeon at Robert Wood Johnson in New Brunswick and he helped me considerably in finding a surgeon, but also in evaluating the cardiologist and staffing at the hospital where I eventually had my surgery. I think all three are important when considering where your surgery will take place.

My eventual choice was Dr Eric Rose, chief of surgery at Columbia Pres Hospital in NYC. Working with him is a Dr David Sherman, who, to me was the guy who got me through my preparation and surgery and recovery. He was calling me at my home in Princeton, NJ months after my surgery when I was in recovery. Eric Rose has a tremendous reputation on the east coast and while my own contact with him was minimal, I did feel comfortable knowing he was my choice. Columbia's staff and facility made me feel "at home" being completely responsive to my care and needs. I still go to NYC and to Dr Sherman every 6 months for his examination and opinion. This man, is beyond a doubt, the most caring and concerned MD I have ever met!

In New Jersey, Morristown Memorial Hospital is probably the best in the state. Known as the Parr Group, it is headed by Dr Grant Parr. I interviewed with him as well but didn't get the "cook's tour" like I did at Columbia. I'm sure I would have been in good hands at MMH.

I hope the above helps you. If you want you can email me privately and Iwill even speak with you on the phone. If you want to meet, I will be more than happy to get together to discuss whatever you want. Please let me know.

Dr. Grant Parr is the founder of the Mid Atlantic Surgical Associates (MASA) which performs over 2300 open heart surgeries annually and report the highest survival rates in NJ, above the national average.. www.HeartSurgeons.com is their website.

'AL'

Thanks to all for the input! I love this website!

Regards,
Steve

Latest posts

Back