Calci-yummi

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Peachy

Now that I am getting a pig valve I am starting to look into the type of things which affect how long it lasts. The most common cause of their deterioration is stiffening of the tissue due to the build up calcium. Since younger patients have a greater calcium metabolism, the pig valves tend to last best in older people. This has got me on to thinking that there might be a correlation between daily calcium intake ie milk, cheese etc and the longevity of a pig valve. Does anyone know if there has been any work done on this topic?

Calcium

Calcium

I posted this on another thread but cannot remember where now... My dad's surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic believed that too much calcium led to his aortic stenosis. He said that the aorta was not enlarged as would normally happen over a long and slow build up. My dad used to take about 1 gram a day of calcium. He has not taken that for several years now.... His surgeon also stated that he had noticed excess calcium in his patients who were from dairy farms and probably grew up ingesting more calcium rich foods and most people..... He did say this was only his observation and as far as he knew there had been no long term studies on this.
He also cautioned my mom and me not to fall prey to the calls for women to take extra calcium.... This is a concern because both of my grandmothers had osteoperosis and my mom DOES take calcium supplements..... Which doctor do you believe???? He said he would rather break a bone than have to have open heart surgery.... I guess he does have a point there....
Cindy

Latest posts

Back