bruising near incision ?????

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

amy

My husband had his aortic valve replacement 7 days ago and came home three days ago. Today, he sat at the computer for awhile. He has increased pain at the incission site. Tonight he noticed that the area that hurts him has some mild black and blue that was not there before. Is this normal or cause for concern. The incision does not hurt. The pain is from the sternum.

Hi Amy!

I'm not sure if I can be of much help here. My husband did have a number of bruises, but if I recall correctly, they were apparent almost immediately in CICU.

If this is something new, and there is increased pain, perhaps a call to the Dr. is in order. I have always felt it is better to ask than to worry.

Marybeth

Hi Amy-

You should give the surgeon a call. Anything out of the ordinary near the incision should be looked at.

INCREASED PAIN AT THE INCISION SITE

INCREASED PAIN AT THE INCISION SITE

HI AMY AND ALAN....JUST READ YOUR POST AND ASKED MY HUSBAND (NOW 5 WEEKS POSTOP) ABOUT THE PAIN. HE, TOO, SAID HE HAD INCREASED PAIN AT THE INCISION SITE, ABOUT A WEEK OR TWO POST. TYCE FOUND THAT RESTING IN THE RECLINER WAS DEFINITELY A HELP, ALONG WITH TYLENOL HE ALSO HAD HEADACHES POSTOP THAT THE TYLEONOL HELPED. HE DIDN'T HAVE ANY BRUISING, BUT THE SURGEON TOLD HIM IT WOULD BE NORMAL IF HE DID HAVE SOME. HOPE THAT ALLAYS YOUR FEARS, BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS, "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT OR IF SOMETHING JUST DOESN'T FEEL RIGHT, CALL YOUR DR!!!" HOPE ALL IS GOING WELL. JUST KEEP HIM WALKING AND USING THE SPIROMETER.

EVELYN

Hi Amy,

I'm so glad to hear Alan is back home! I don't know if the bruising is normal or not - it could be. I would get it checked out as soon as possible. I was told that if anything looked abnormal with my incision, to get my little self in to see a doctor WITHOUT DELAY, that an infection of the incision and/or sternum could lead to a situation that would be Big Bad News. Don't "wait and see" - better to be safe than sorry!

-Jennie

Latest posts

Back