Blood pressure home testing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d333gs

Hi everyone.
I just wanted to share this ongoing BP home testing experment.
The past couple of visits to my doctors found my blood pressure up 140/70. Both doctors said it was likely
stress and they are probably right to an extent , the past year has been very stressful . So I bought a Omron BP tester. In the morning before coffee my readings were low to mid 130s . But sure enough, during the day readings were up in the 140s & 150s . At one point this week I started playing with the machine and taking multiple readings in one sitting And as my attention shifted from the fact that my mother-in-law will be euthanized next week to how the machine worked, my BP slowly dropped to the mid 130s and stayed there for 3 or 4 readings. The mid 130s is where I was last year. I have also just started the DASH diet which is low salt & fat and can show results in BP in two to three weeks. I will also consult my cardio about two 30% blocked arteries that were discovered two years ago during my pre AVR tests. Could they be an issue in higher BP readings?
I will keep you up to date.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...ealthy-eating/in-depth/dash-diet/art-20048456

What you write about how what your thinking seemed to affect your blood pressure reminds me of a study I read some time back, I wish I’d kept a copy of it. It was done on some US airforce guys. On the first occasion they put an arm in a bucket of ice water which led to pain, and then their blood pressure was taken. On the second occasion they were instructed to subtract backwards in 3’s or 7’s, I forget which, from 100 in their heads, not out loud, and then their blood pressure was taken. The blood pressure of all the subjects was higher in the subtracting in their heads section !

I take my blood pressure for GP and cardiologist as it’s always elevated when they take it…I have to take several readings every day for a couple of weeks twice a year, I’ve been doing this for many years now. I find all sorts of things affect the individual readings and they can vary from minute to minute.

What you write about how what your thinking seemed to affect your blood pressure reminds me of a study I read some time back, I wish I’d kept a copy of it. It was done on some US airforce guys. On the first occasion they put an arm in a bucket of ice water which led to pain, and then their blood pressure was taken. On the second occasion they were instructed to subtract backwards in 3’s or 7’s, I forget which, from 100 in their heads, not out loud, and then their blood pressure was taken. The blood pressure of all the subjects was higher in the subtracting in their heads section !

I take my blood pressure for GP and cardiologist as it’s always elevated when they take it…I have to take several readings every day for a couple of weeks twice a year, I’ve been doing this for many years now. I find all sorts of things affect the individual readings and they can vary from minute to minute.
It really is interesting, thanks for the replay. Before 2015 , 140 was the accepted level for a 70 year old male but then the revised it to 120/80! Reading the new blood pressure guidelines - Harvard Health

Reading those Harvard Health new blood pressure guidelines I see they state: "The new guidelines stem from the 2017 results of the Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial (SPRINT), which studied more than 9,000 adults ages 50 and older who had systolic blood pressure (the top number in a reading) of 130 mm Hg or higher and at least one risk factor for cardiovascular disease

The issue which I consider important is that blood pressure varies a lot throughout the day and for various reasons - even my cardiologist says that, so for example, I might get a systolic reading of 147 and a short while later one of 110. If I was prescribed a blood pressure medication on the basis of the high reading then there’s every chance I would get side effects when my blood pressure went too low - I could even fall over down the stairs with dizziness and fracture my back or something worse. Incidentally the high systolic number in the 140s still isn’t the kind of high which can lead to strokes which is much higher.

I’d love to know what was considered normal blood pressure in the past….I do know that the considered normal has dropped over the years…but those Harvard ones take the biscuit ! I think I’ll stick with "The previous guidelines set the threshold at 140/90 mm Hg for people younger than age 65 and 150/80 mm Hg for those ages 65 and older.” 😃

Of interest ;over the past four days I have gone for two long vigorous walks. On my return I took my blood pressure and both times it was in the low 120's ; 122 & 123 . Before leaving it was above 135

There used to be a story about doctors (nurses?) taking blood pressure.

They found that after the first blood pressure test, if they say 'uh oh,' the next reading is 5 or 10 points higher.

I'm using a BP meter that my cardiologist gave me. It sends the result to a monitoring service.

Recently, BP has been fairly steady - around 130 - 140 over 75-85.

When I was in Cardiac Rehab - they sometimes got 100/60 (which still puzzles the hell out of me). They used a meter that attached a circular dial to the arm sleeve and measured the resistance on the dial - the result always seemed to be lower than other devices - and they didn't seem to be a bit concerned.

There used to be a story about doctors (nurses?) taking blood pressure.

They found that after the first blood pressure test, if they say 'uh oh,' the next reading is 5 or 10 points higher.

I'm using a BP meter that my cardiologist gave me. It sends the result to a monitoring service.

Recently, BP has been fairly steady - around 130 - 140 over 75-85.

When I was in Cardiac Rehab - they sometimes got 100/60 (which still puzzles the hell out of me). They used a meter that attached a circular dial to the arm sleeve and measured the resistance on the dial - the result always seemed to be lower than other devices - and they didn't seem to be a bit concerned.
In rehab I was all over the place as high as 160 which really stressed me but did not bother my rehab team. I was 138 over 70 this morning , I did a ten minute walk to get some bread , came back , relaxed for five minutes , took two readings, and I was 126 & 125.......... I will see how long it takes for it to rise again!

Weird, similar for me in cardio rehab. I consistently was measured by them as anywhere from around 90something/60something to 100-105ish. They told me they felt my BP was too low!

Then quite often after the rehab I would have to go to my Dr's office who at the time was located about a 5 minute walk away in the same building. And every time HE took my BP I was around 130-140. I discussed this with him as well as the folks in cardio rehab who then switched to taking my pressure two diff ways (one by hand with a cuff and a dial and the other using a machine that squeezes your arm and then reports a result). I always came out the same at rehab who insisted they were doing it right, and the same higher #s at the Doc's. The Dr's take on it was that they were doing it wrong.

Quite often due to past experience I do get stressed out if going to a DR office because of having to "fight" with them over stupid crap and mistakes they make but with this doc I was always pretty relaxed and surprised by his readings.

Weird, similar for me in cardio rehab. I consistently was measured by them as anywhere from around 90something/60something to 100-105ish. They told me they felt my BP was too low!

Then quite often after the rehab I would have to go to my Dr's office who at the time was located about a 5 minute walk away in the same building. And every time HE took my BP I was around 130-140. I discussed this with him as well as the folks in cardio rehab who then switched to taking my pressure two diff ways (one by hand with a cuff and a dial and the other using a machine that squeezes your arm and then reports a result). I always came out the same at rehab who insisted they were doing it right, and the same higher #s at the Doc's. The Dr's take on it was that they were doing it wrong.

Quite often due to past experience I do get stressed out if going to a DR office because of having to "fight" with them over stupid crap and mistakes they make but with this doc I was always pretty relaxed and surprised by his readings.
For me, at times, I will have a what I call a High BP at doctor visits and when I go to get Protime done. But it is not high enough to worry. I get nervous and it cause the BP to go up. Even one time had cardio take my BP and he no idea how to read it, said I was 500, over what I will never know, because I should have been dead then. Never had it done by a doctor again.

Latest posts

Back