Bill and I will witness world event today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hensylee

Today between noon and 5 pm Bill and I will witness a world happening in these parts. They are exploding the new MOAB bomb at Eglin AFB just a few miles from my home - a bit farther for Bill, but he should be able to hear and see, too. It is a 21,000 lb bomb with about 20,000 lbs of explosives in it. We have been advised that the noise will be trememdous and there will be a 10,000 ft high cloud. I have my camera ready to take pix and if I live through it all with senses intact, will take pix and put on here for y'all to see from my back yard. Hope my windows don't break and I still have some hearing left. If y'all don't hear from me, my computer got jarred to death. They are already talking about it on CNN. We have family property adjoining AFB property line and my brother, sister, cousin have their homes on that property. Brother's is closest and could receive damage. They are always practicing war out there and we hear it all the time, but this one is going to be something!

I wish I were down there for this event. Then again, maybe I should be happy right where I am? :eek:

It went off at 2 EST. I heard it, but have heard much louder ones from there in the past - ones that shook my house and windows and scared the dogs who growl and bark at the noise. But not this time - could barely hear it - and no smoke that I can tell from the clouds. This one had a different tone - deeper, lower, but a big boom, for sure. Life hasn't even paused around here - we are used to it. It may have been a historical event, but I can't attest to it. Any pictures will have to get to you via TV. Sorry - go back to what you were doing.:confused:

What is supposed to be the "Mother of All Bombs" and you barely heard it? hmmm? I bet it left a considerable size sink-hole anyway!?

I'd surely not be comfortable with one of these going off near me if I were an Iraqi soldier or martyr or whatever SoDamnInsane refers to his followers as!

Thanks, Gina, for posting the article. Wish they wouldn't scare us by giving us such dire news, in the first place. It scares people who should not be frightened and then these frightened folks expect the worst. In small places like this, word travels like wildfire, so everybody knew and we expected a gigantic noise that never happened. We didn't need to have this information at all, especially since it would have gone nearly unnoticed by most of us. Yet we all waited with bated breath, hoping our windows would not break this time, for something that never happened (the noise, I mean)!

Important information.....

Important information.....

Just thought I better tell y'all a few facts about bombs and explosions..............

As most of you will know, we in Northern Ireland have some experience of bombs over the past thirty years. Some of them got kinda close at times and the obvious reaction was to shut all the windows and doors......

.....well now, that is the wrong thing to do.

Instead you should open all doors and windows. (Unless your name's Bonnie and you are afraid a roaming Bear will gain admission)

See, when a bomb explodes, it follows the line of least resistance which is upwards. In so doing it sucks in air horizontally. This will have the effect of sucking your windows out and all the broken glass will be outside. It's strange, but that's what actually happens, so the moral of the story is open all windows and doors and of course don't stand immediately outside a window as you will be showered with glass.

I was standing by a window inside a building in a local town in 1974 and a 200lb bomb exploded 30 yards away. It took all the glass out and even took the curtains outside also.........dammit, it nearly spilled my Guinness, but I was OK.

Ah Billy, I thought I was the only one that could make you spill your Guinness! :D

I was around for a bomb in Cleveland a long time ago. I remember the destruction and shock for many city blocks. I can only imagine what it's like to live somewhere that has this stuff happening all the time. :eek:

Billy....

Would have never known what to do about the windows, etc. In the event of a tornado....we were always advised to close all windows and doors. Now they say keep them open.

Hensylee......
Just finished watching a replay on CNN of the test. They claim if you are within just a few miles your ears could bleed!

Last edited:
Heard no ill effects from anybody, Gina but I can believe that if one was close enough, it could damage ears. In the closest town, everybody just went on their way. I think this was a giant PR job on the government's part. - but today they are doing a HEAP more bombing than usual and I will take Billy's advice and open my windows. They are rattling with each explosion. And Miss Sally Sue has opted to spend her day in the house where she feels safe - she is afraid of noises like thunder, etc. They have been bombing around here since WWII and occasionally people's homes are damaged (cracks, etc) and they ask us to report any damage to them (the Air Force Base).

Dunno Gina

Dunno Gina

Hey Gina..

Don't have any experience of a tornado, so you need to do your own research on that subject. We don't get them in these parts, just cold winds and rain and low temperatures.

I think perhaps there was a mini-tornado somewhere in N. Ireland couple of years ago, but it didn't get to my area....

.....and as for spilling my Guinness Ross......well, we all know that you can cause havoc, even when you're just sitting in front of your computer :D :D :D :D :D

Latest posts

Back