Attn: Women, did the staples hurt so bad?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alicia

Its been 2 1/2 weeks since surgery and the ONLY problem Im having is with these darn staples! I measured my incision yesterday and its 8 inches long and I have 50 staples running down my chest and in between my boobs.

Did you women having staples bother you that much? Mine hurt when I move around. I have to keep a bra on all the time so it doesnt hurt as bad. The worst spot is where the staples are "holding my boobs" together. Im top heavy so I knew it would be painful. Im still having to take pain pills and I thought I would be in less pain. Oh, I cant wait til they come out next Thursday!!!

Any advise?:mad:

Try a sports bra for support.

I did not wear a bra for probably a month after surgery. But, I was too sick to leave my house. I am 20 months post-op and still have some sensitive spots on my sternum. In fact, this morning I was telling my husband, that the new bra I just bought is very uncomfortable because the underwire rubs at the "top spot" where my sternum now overlaps. I am thin so I can feel every wire under my skin. I guess I need to stick with my previous style of bra! Never thought a new style would bother my sternum!

Hi Alicia

Hi Alicia

I can't help you with the staples, I was glued shut.

My incision is a bit longer almost 10", when I could finally get out of the house, drive myself, I went to a dept. store to find bras that I could tolerate, (painfree, comfortable, minimal seams, diffenitely not underwire) it took almost 2 hour but I came away with 4 different bras, What a difference!!!

I'm older so the sagging boobs seem to pull on the scar, the clip front bras bothered my incision also, I had one similar to the sleep bra and the hook eyes were in the front and rubbed my incision especially while sitting.

Terry40

I also used sleep bras, but placed a soft cloth or tissue under the hooks when they felt uncomfortable. These bras keep things from pulling, especially when lying down. The staples are definitely painful - but at least you know that it will soon be better. If you get a sports bra, go for a bigger size so it isn't tight around you. And pad where the staples are - it might help.

Glued shut too

Glued shut too

I didn't have the same problem as you as I was glued shut and I am not let's say overly well endowed which was probably a blessing (less weight pulling on incision). Naturally, I had the normal sternal discomfort/pain, and for years, every once in a while it still bothered me.
Alicia, just hang in there-I know it is tough when in pain, but it will get better.

bra size

bra size

i was given advice that if you re 'big breasted' you shouldd have constant (i.e. at night support. )hope this helps regards Deb xxx

My staples are coming out tomorrow!! Ive come to the point now when I take my bra off in the morning for my shower, my incision and staples hurt so bad until Im finished and put another bra on.
Oh the joys of womanhood and having these big boobs!!

:D

Latest posts

Back