Atrial Fibrillation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rula

Hi Everyone,

I would like to post a note for my dad, George. He is post operative two weeks today. He had an aortic valve replaced with a bovine pericardial tissue valve. The surgery went fine, except that his heart is in AV (Atrial Fibrillation). The doctor has him on Coumadin in the meanwhile and Atenelol and says that the heart should stabilize in a few weeks. I am just a little concerned. Has anyone had a similar experience. Does anyone know of anything that can help strengthen and stabilize the heart? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you - Rula:)

Hi Rula, welcome

Hi Rula, welcome

Hi Rula-

I'd like to welcome you to the site. It's a wonderful site, very warm and caring, plus much, much information from people who've been through similar surgeries, some many times over.

What your dad is going through is extremely common. The heart goes through so much during surgery that it kind of "acts up". Plus when you get a new valve, all the internal heart dynamics change dramatically. Your heart has to learn all over again how to cope with the different pressures inside the heart, has to adjust to a person who is now a little more active, and still has to go through its own healing process. It's pretty dramatic surgery.

For a lot of people this is temporary and they might have to go on some meds to regulate it for a time. For others, it can go on for a long time. Everyone is quite individual in how their body copes with the various changes.

Some of those who have this long term learn to live with it. The doctors monitor it carefully, but I think they don't consider it life-threatening, unless it causes other symptoms.

As long the doctor feels it's OK, I'd not worry about it. It's common to be on Coumadin for this condition.

Even if it becomes a problem, there are other meds that can help to regulate the heart.

My husband has been in chronic afib, for as long as I can remember. He had his first valve replaced in 1977. His acted up after a long while, and he now has a pacemaker which keeps him in normal sinus rhythm.

Say Hi to your dad from all of us. Stop by often and fill us in on how he is doing, or even just to say Hello.

Atrial Fibrillation

Dear Nancy,

Thank you so much for the information. It helps me feel more at peace. I worry about him so much. He is still quite weak and dizzy and am hoping that once his heart stabilizes he will start to feel better.

I forgot to mention that they also have him on a drug called Digoxin.

Per the doctor, he will only be on Coumadin for about three months as a precaution and then will be taken off of it. They just lowered his Atenelol dosage which I think was contributing to his weakness. Its a matter of balancing the medication now I suppose. What a delicate balance it is.

Thank you again. I greatly appreciate your input. Dad will be happy to hear that it is to be expected.

Warm appreciation.

Rula

Hi Rula-

Digoxin is standard operating procedure for heart patients. It regulates the heart. I'm sure they had him on Atenolol to help with the afib. The coumadin is to prevent the afib from causing emboli. So it sounds as if he's in good hands with his meds.

Two weeks post op is a very short time. Sometimes, it takes that long and longer for all the surgical drugs and pain meds to work their way out of the body. Your dad will be weak and tired for probably a couple of months. His body's had a major assault. But you will see improvements on a daily basis, and 6 months from now, he'll be a new man. In a year he'll be probably fully recovered.

Best wishes and congrats to your dad on his "new" heart, it's worth all the trouble!

Last edited:
Hi Rula - I was afib for 30 days after surgery. It went away on its own, and been fine ever since. I did have to take the coumadin until well after for the possible afib. I also took amiodarone to help the situation, however that is supposed to have bad side effects over the long term. I am on no medication at this point (1 year after surgery.

hi rula!
welcome to this site. as nancy said, this is a wonderful, caring, and supportive place to come for information. we've all been in similar shoes and are more than willing to help as others did with us when we first came here.
my dad had his vr 2 1/2 yrs ago and has been in chronic afib since even before his surgery. he takes coumadin regularly anyway because he has a mechanical valve.
my husband joey is 5 months post op and as with your dad, went into afib right after surgery. they had him on coumadin for a few weeks and on amiodarone for the afib (since the atenolol he was on before surgery to prevent afib was no longer effective). we are both concerned that the afib will return once he's taken off the amiodarone, but we'll have to deal with that in a few weeks.
please let us know what happens with your dad. he will most likely be feeling stronger with each passing day. please just try to be patient.
wishing him a speedy recovery,
sylvia

Dear Nancy, Bill and Sylvia,

Thank you for all the input. It is comforting to know that we are not alone.

Dad has been suffering from extreme "dizziness" and "cloudiness" as he puts it. We don't know what may be causing this. He had it a little before the surgery and thought the damaged valve was causing the problem. But now, after the surgery with a new valve, it seems to be much, much worse. It weakens him terribly and worries me. Has anyone had this experience? The onlly thing I can think of is that he may be reacting to all this medication he is on? O maybe because prior to the surgery his heart rate was in the mid 40's, a slow athletic heart he had, but with the new valve his heart rate has jumped to in the (80's) maybe he is experiencing some physiological adjustment. I just don't know. Any input would be so greatly valued.

Thank you

Rula ([email protected])

_________

George Michos surgery at Mt. Sinai Hospital 2/11/01 - Dr. Valentin Fuster

Hi Rula-

Sorry dad is still feeling dizziness and cloudiness. Maybe you should run these things by the either the surgeon or the cardiologist.

Joe felt very weak, foggy, and unsteady for several weeks after all of his surgeries, heart and lung. The body has been seriously traumatized. It takes a long time to heal, but it will happen. The cloudiness could come from the meds, the aftereffects of the anesthesia (still), and can also come from the fact that breathing if difficult after surgery because of soreness. You don't get enough oxygen into the brain. If your dad is using the spirometer faithfully, that's a good thing. And it will help with that condition in time as will walking and generally being more active, if that's what's causing it. There are also some aftereffects of being on the heart pump during surgery. This causes a foggy brain for some for a while.

The first few weeks after surgery are the toughest. There will be improvements on a daily basis, but they'll be small. However, after another month has gone by, you will be surprised at how much better your dad will feel.

Remember, the docs are ready, willing and able to answer your every questions, so don't hesitate to put your mind at ease.

Take care,

hi rula!
sorry to hear your dad is feeling "dizzy". i know it takes the anesthesia a long time to leave the body, but you mentiioned that your dad had this before his surgery too, right? i do think, as nancy mentioned, that you should run this by your dad's cardio and his surgeon. in the meantime, hope he's doing better with each passing day. please let us know what happens.
God bless and be well, sylvia

Atrial Update

Atrial Update

Dear Friends,

Just wanted to update you on my dad's condition. His heart overall is doing just fine except that he is still in Atrial Fibrillation. His cardiologist last week suggested that they go and "shock" the heart back to sinus rhythm. I don't know what the procedure is called and my mom forgot to ask.

Is anyone out there familiar with such a procedure and the risks involved. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also how much walking should dad be doing at this point. He is 6 weeks post operative and except for the afib he is doing well. He is 68 years old. I can't seem to stress to him how important exercise is. Maybe if he hears it from one of you.

Thank you - Rula:)

Hi Rula-

There are several reasons for the recommendation of exercise after this surgery.

Most patients who go into heart valve surgery have had an extended period of time prior to surgery when their bodies have deconditioned. There's loss of muscle tone, actual wasting away of muscle mass, deprivation of oxygen to the body which affects the lungs, brain and the body in general. I've seen it several times in my husband.

One can only imagine what this deconditioning does to the heart which is a muscle and the most important muscle in the body.

After the surgery it is necessary to help all these muscles rebuild and regain their ultimate working capabilities. It is also necessary to get the lungs in better working order so that the body can once again get the oxygen it needs to function properly. That's why they have you using that spirometer so much.

If the patient doesn't try to exercise, these things will never happen the way they're supposed to and the body will remain weak and the oxygen supply will not be where it should be.

It takes lots and lots of effort to get back to exercising because there is so much weakness and fatigue. It takes a long time to totally build back up again and each patient has to do it at their own pace. My husband was pleasantly surprised however that his muscle tone became visibly improved after only 2 weeks of exercise. Someone mentioned that muscles have memory.

It's also very important to eat right with healthful foods. Apparently the healing process uses enormous amounts of energy.

I hope your dad does well with his afib "zap", and he returns to normal rhythm. Afib may be a reason why he is having difficulties walking as much as he would like. Tell him we're thinking of him.

Hi!

The term to convert the heart to normal rythm is called cardioversion. The success of the procedure depends on how long the patient has been in a-fib. My husband had it done, and it only lasted for four days, but we think he was in a-fib for at least six months.

I second Nancy's comments about excercise. My husbands doctor has been emphatic not to "over do" it, but to excercise (walking) daily, to the extent that he can. Now, my husband is in a-faib, and I can tell you that it does take away between 20-25% of the hearts function, so expectations cannot be as high as they would be if he was in normal rythm. So, advise him to do it daily, to the point where he is not over fatigued. He will see improvement in muscle mass, etc. and overall will feel better.

Best wishes to your Dad.

Marybeth

hi rula!
good advice from nancy and marybeth! when my husband, joey was in the hospital he went into afib a few days after his surgery. since they had to monitor him, they didn't allow him to walk around at all. when they finally did though, he felt so much better.
about 6 yrs ago joey was cardioverted because he was in afib. they put you in a twilight state and shock you quickly. when they let me into the room after it was done, joey looked up and said, groggily: "i'll tell them to call you in after they zap me, ok?" he wasnt even aware that they had already done it.
my dad, who had a st. jude's mechanical valve put in almost 3 yrs ago, is in chronic afib. he is your dad's age (68) and is now as active as he was before the surgery. he travels, golfs, plays some tennis and walk/runs and bikes. people can live with afib; he says he's used to it and it doesn't bother him (remember, he also has a mechanical valve that must click irregularly_ i often tell him that would drive me nuts!! but not him).
i know you must be very nervous about all of this, but it will all work out. please have faith.
we are all here for you if you need us. feel free to email me directly at:[email protected]
please let us know what happens. wishing you and your dad all the best,
sylvia

Hi Rula - My heart was afib for about a month after surgery. I had the shock (cardioversion) while I was in the hospital, but my heart went back to afib after 5 hours. I was scheduled to go back to Cleveland, but my heart went back to normal with the help of medication (amiodarone). There is almost no risk with this procedure.

A quick Thank You

A quick Thank You

Dear Bill Hall, Sylvia, Marybeth and Nancy,

Thank you for your responses. They are all so reassuring and informative. I can't thank you enough for the support you all so graciously provide.

Dad is feeling a little better. He started on the treadmill today ( 15 minutes at turtle speed). It's a start. I keep after him like a hawk. He runs away from me. He will be going on a short trip to the Dominican Republic with some friends next week and when he comes back will be zapped. I will let you know how things go.

Lots of love - Rula

A-fib/pacemakers

A-fib/pacemakers

Hello all!

Wayne and I went for stress/echo yesterday afternoon. He is a double valver, CHF and a-fib. He has had a problem with his heart rate, upon moderate exertion. Went to cardiac rehab, where they kept having to reduce is excercise capacity. I think he got a D+ grade.(thats a joke, guys)

Stress/echo was yesterday. Resting echo done, then onto the treadmill. Heart rate went immediately to 110, then 160, then 195. I think within a matter of a couple of minutes, which frankyl seemed like hours. He began to feel faint ( well yeah), and they took him off right away, back into the echo for pics of the heart just racing away. Ugh.
\
Conference room............pacemaker/electrophysciologist recommended - for a pacemaker to get him into regular rythm, control the rythm, etc. (block the AV node )
Byt the way, this was while ON beta blockers. The Dr. wanted him ON the blocker for the test, so he could see how well the heart did on the meds.

This at least explains why he hasn;t recovered as well as some of you folks have. His EF hasn't changed since before the surgery. Still at 40. I had hoped for imrpovement in that area.

The Dr. said, as usual, that in the business he was in that there were no guarantees.

So, my question is...............does anyone here have experience with this sort of situation. If you do, please respond.

My husband is NOT happy, and I do not think he would go on a pacemaker right away. He says..........no rush. And, I will not push him either way. This is HIS heart, his life. He needs to make the decision, after he has all of the information. I trust him.

Thanks. Sorry this was so long :(.

Mb

Last edited:
Hi Marybeth-

You know about Joe's pacemaker, so feel free to email me with any specific questions Wayne might have.

Take care,

Update on Dad (George Michos)

Update on Dad (George Michos)

Dear Friends,

I apologize for not keeping in touch for so long - but access to a computer has been a little difficult lately.

I wanted everyone to know that dad was cardioconverted today and so far (7 hours) the heart is ticking normally. It actually decreased in rhythm from 87 to 60 - it is amazing.

I just pray now that it sticks and doesn't go back to atrial fib. They do not have him on any meds - just the coumadin. Dad is feeling so much better - no more dizziness or cloudiness as he calls it and I am so happy.

Does anyone know if he should take it easy for awhile after the cardioversion? And does anyone have any thoughts on keeping the heart on track after cardioversion - what to do or not to do , perhaps supplements that might keep it on track. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much for all your support in the past , the present and the long road ahead.

Lots of love - Rula

Hi Rula-

It's so nice to hear that your dad is doing well after his cardioversion. And may that be the last of the rhythm problems.

As far as supplements go, he's on Coumadin, and has also had lots of problems with heart rhythm. I wouldn't suggest any supplements without the explicit knowlege of his doctors. Don't want to jeopardize this good work.

Take care and keep us posted. Nice to hear from you.

Hi Rula - missed your first posts - my brother has had no heart surgery, but had a-fib for some time. He had cardioversion more than a year ago and it is still holding. Good wishes for your dad's holding, as well. God bless

Latest posts

Back